Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122064 times)

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2010, 09:42:10 am »

160 layers from the lowest floor confirmed, created on default pocket island.
I'm digging to the deepest point, will report discoveries.

mostevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2010, 09:51:10 am »

I hit a cavern diggin a big vertical staircase, I'd gone down about 30-40 layers, but it was starting at the top of a massive mountain.  They're big, span a few z-levels but have a lot of pillars in them too, if you're just digging a 1 tile staircase you could dig straight through and not hit it.  Have some soldiers ready, some nasty stuff can come out of them.

How deep is the standard UG? I dug 51 layers and still haven't got there. There are more then 250 layers I see.
EDIT:101 layers and nothing, only olivine and serpentine!

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2010, 09:56:34 am »

Ill quote

init.txt > max z-levels aboveground > 2

seriously, read the devlog, you'd know you can customize the max allowable z-levels aboveground at embark. That right there allowed me to go from 25 FPS up to 70
Call me a retard, but I just cant find it >.<

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:43 am »

Is there any place where theres a total list of changes made from last release?

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2010, 10:20:12 am »

How deep is the standard UG? I dug 51 layers and still haven't got there. There are more then 250 layers I see.

EDIT:101 layers and nothing, only olivine and serpentine!

I sank a shaft 15z when I hit the underground -there are, however, areas of solid rock where you can(and I have, in my effort to reach the bottom) bypass the caves without breaching them.

Maybe sink a few 20z shafts? AFAICT, you were just unlucky and missed everything, somehow. A bit like the occasional case of people having a metal pole driven through their body at random, and it not hitting anything vital, even surviving a length of rebar through their brain.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2010, 10:26:34 am »

Any ETA on a linux build? I'll be packaging for Arch Linux the day it comes out.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2010, 10:32:37 am »

Hi!

This is interesting. I just noticed that there is no longer batch-processing in many workshops - donkey fat [6] is rendered once to donkey fat [5] and donkey tallow and needs the job to be repeated (kitchen does so automatically, if you want). Likewise, donkey hooves[4] got crafted into donkey hooves[3] and donkey hoof figurine of a bat...

I am not quite sure whether I like this new approach, but it is definitely interesting.

Deathworks

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2010, 10:35:17 am »

160 layers from the lowest floor confirmed, created on default pocket island.
surprise surprise
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2010, 10:49:27 am »

With all those empty slots in the site finder, could Sand be added in? If Sand were added and volcanoes returned, I'd have no problem finding ideal sites.

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2010, 10:50:46 am »

Wow!
I go away for a week and this happens!
Just finished downloading, but from the past /two years/ of development, it'll be great!
Nice one Toady!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:51 am »

For some reason, I seem to have to irrigate everything now before I can farm. Am I doing something wrong here, or is that an intended feature?

It would explain the buckets that you get on embark, but what do you do then on a freezing or scorching map?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 02, 2010, 11:16:16 am »

Fantastic. Truly fantastic. That is the only response that I can give to this.

However, I understand that no graphics sets have been created that can be used effectively with this version, correct? I mean, it's only been out for a day. It's not like we're expecting them to update a tileset on a vast scale in a day.

As I find it difficult to understand the current ASCII format, I shall amuse myself by inspecting the wiki on a variety of features, most likely the new military positions and whether or not Generals actually exist, as opposed to militiamen.

I must also ask as to what the Forced Administrator is, as one of his functions appears to be "LAW_MAKING", and seems to control a "conquered region"?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:20:39 am by Owlbread »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2010, 11:19:06 am »

Hi!

For some reason, I seem to have to irrigate everything now before I can farm. Am I doing something wrong here, or is that an intended feature?

Only underground farming needs irrigation. Surface farms work perfect without it, even though that yellow warning is shown (^_^;;

And people have pointed out correctly that you can also use naturally muddy soil underground, which is much more likely now, to say the least (have you checked how many z-levels your map has?).

Deathworks

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
  • Join the Cult of Toady today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2010, 11:21:32 am »

Fantastic. Truly fantastic. That is the only response that I can give to this.

However, I understand that no graphics sets have been created that can be used effectively with this version, correct? I mean, it's only been out for a day. It's not like we're expecting them to update a tileset on a vast scale in a day.

As I find it difficult to understand the current ASCII format, I shall amuse myself by inspecting the wiki on a variety of features, most likely the new military positions and whether or not Generals actually exist, as opposed to militiamen.

I must also ask as to what the Forced Administrator is, as one of his details appears to be "LAW_MAKING".

Its been on the wiki since the new release was, well, released  ;)

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Tileset
Core i5-2500k @ 5.0Ghz, 2GB Geforce GTX 770, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x2 (RAID0), Samsung 2TB + 64GB Agility 3 (Intel RST Cache)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2010, 11:29:42 am »

Only underground farming needs irrigation. Surface farms work perfect without it, even though that yellow warning is shown (^_^;;

And people have pointed out correctly that you can also use naturally muddy soil underground, which is much more likely now, to say the least (have you checked how many z-levels your map has?).

Deathworks
Ah, that yellow message impressed me so much that I didn't even try to set up some farming plots.

There are something like 160 z-levels below the surface, I think, but I am sticking to the first 2 for now and try to get the basics going and to figure out how the dwarves got those yummy large roach brains that they sold as food on the embarking screen.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31