Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105475 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12645 on: July 12, 2016, 12:24:26 am »

Basically, yeah. I just have no idea whether DF logic follows this too. Also, so far I've seen no sign that any other material property will affect this. Apparently specific heat plays into it, but only for the materials being cooled.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12646 on: July 12, 2016, 12:29:33 am »

Well, water freezes over pretty easily in the game right? and I believe that water is the only liquid other then magma/molten rocks, so maybe its possible to make it a attack that encases the enemy in ice? Though that would be very op and any char with that power would win pretty easily, so you might need to find a way to make it more balanced, if thats your goal.
So pretty much, it'd be a combination of cooling the air and placing blocks/whatever they are called of water, the water then freezes, hopefully the enemy being inside one and being encased in ice.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12647 on: July 12, 2016, 02:16:12 am »

Well, water freezes over pretty easily in the game right? and I believe that water is the only liquid other then magma/molten rocks, so maybe its possible to make it a attack that encases the enemy in ice? Though that would be very op and any char with that power would win pretty easily, so you might need to find a way to make it more balanced, if thats your goal.
So pretty much, it'd be a combination of cooling the air and placing blocks/whatever they are called of water, the water then freezes, hopefully the enemy being inside one and being encased in ice.
well first you need to figure out a way to produce 1/7 or 7/7 water tiles which can only be done as I know as a reaction of dumping over 877 or something around that number of water at the same time.
and interactions seem to not allow then again someone being able to produce freezing water is in danger of incasing themselves in ice aswell but also take into consideration of Cave in and how DWARVES would love to have something that produces solid blocks of what ever for construction work.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12648 on: July 12, 2016, 03:42:31 am »

You can produce 2/7 by setting a reaction to fill a minecart, which works out to 833 units of water.

Or, you could try [PRODUCT:100:10:WOOD:NONE:WATER:NONE] which works fine if you don't like to build while technically underground in a cavern to avoid random lame yeti ambushes, or if you are underground, you gotta drop them and initiate construction immediately, but you have that instant between dropping them and doing anything else to work with.

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12649 on: July 12, 2016, 04:47:13 am »

I start a new world and character,get the first mission to kill a vampire,who got 40 victims on the record.
Then I when to the hamlet,ask a farmer who I encountered in the first place.
And the farmer answer "Oh,THAT'S ME."
That's weird......I then ask his neighbor about this guy,even spread rumor about he is a night creature and kill a lot of people.
BTW he is WEARING HUMAN tooth crown/ring/amulet.Clearly from his victims,literally a freaking creepy villain.

But his neighbor was like "nah he's a pleasure to speak with."

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12650 on: July 12, 2016, 06:55:28 am »

I start a new world and character,get the first mission to kill a vampire,who got 40 victims on the record.
Then I when to the hamlet,ask a farmer who I encountered in the first place.
And the farmer answer "Oh,THAT'S ME."
That's weird......I then ask his neighbor about this guy,even spread rumor about he is a night creature and kill a lot of people.
BTW he is WEARING HUMAN tooth crown/ring/amulet.Clearly from his victims,literally a freaking creepy villain.

But his neighbor was like "nah he's a pleasure to speak with."

Semi-relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1192479921&feature=iv&src_vid=g3Zseui1Cuo&v=T2SINs8e6sQ

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12651 on: July 12, 2016, 07:58:44 am »

so in a fit of rage I finally learn how to build walls in water.
all I need is a character who is Nuclear hot to burn all the water away to quickly build a floor/wall there.
operation Sea fort is doable just... I need to make a magma man to be playable.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12652 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:32 am »

Isn't there already a fire man or something in the base raws of the game ?
Just add [INTELLIGENT] and [LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] !

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12653 on: July 12, 2016, 09:31:29 am »

Other options: if there is a ledge on the floor of a body of liquid, you can fly, and have a minecart.

If it's cold enough, it'll probably be ice, this trick works better with magma, but either way: when you dump out a minecart in mid-air when it is freezing cold, the ice floor forms wherever you are, so if you're 4 z off the ground, that's where it will be.

When you save/load up again it will collapse, if you make a construction or enter the travel screen for any reason and do anything, it will collapse when you return, but you can build up to 16 tiles attached to one hanging in mid-air and splash some liquid out of the way. You can also stand on one to enter construction in "mid-air" though it will collapse when you end the build period.

If you do this with say, cast obsidian walls on top of a floor extending over water, and then cut the supports for it, while making sure you're somewhere that you won't have to move to enter the construction screen AND CAN SEE THE SPOT WHERE IT WILL LAND, the obsidian will piston teleport an open space for you, and you can slip stuff into that space before it collapses back down.

The stuff on the right was built by me arriving with a backpack of lumber, dumping it out, then waiting on the right spot so the game reloaded the magma into the starting pre-collapse state, and building what I could before it all fell down.

The little chunk of walls on the left though? That was made by building a support floor out over the magma over a spot where the SMR drops a level, casting obsidian off the side of the floor, and dropping it before immediately designating constructions in the cleared spaces with the SMR one level down for support.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12654 on: July 12, 2016, 10:24:47 am »

oh forgot about 1-2 z levels of water turn into a floor of ice than a wall.
so now I'm thinking of a birdman riding an ice skateboard while building stuff in the air.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12655 on: July 12, 2016, 07:44:36 pm »

Nice, I expect a drawing of course.

So I got the hang of manually opening up gaps for construction rather than using the volcano glitch, though the glitch is still helpful because you can get these neat caverncano tubes where it's only filled to the floor of the cavern itself.

Took a while to cast all that on the floors there, you can just drop water into the magma to cast it but it's more random and error prone, I wanted the neat chunk slapped in there with two z-levels of clearance to work with.

Didn't give me as much room as I hoped on the top and right side but I did some experimenting and worked out a way to fix those edges. Hang another floor directly over the wall you want to repair, then cast obsidian off the side of it, a few levels ideally, and drop it. It punches a nice clean wall-shaped hole to work in, letting me clear up the hanging bits better.

To clean out the magma inside you've got a couple options, if you can put up a block of solid walls with cover over them you can remove the interior to hollow it out, otherwise you gotta do some more water dropping.

I removed strategic floor tiles and dropped water on the magma flow directly, which leaves an exposed spot for a tick, slap a wall on it and move to the next.

The interior obsidian parts were originally around the edges from accidents while trying to find the best method for targeted wall-gap creation, I was able to build up around them but had to expand the construction around the one to the upper right, while the bottom left were from a couple drops of magma moving into a wall gap too fast, so I dropped obsidian on those tiles to plug them so I could clear the interior.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12656 on: July 13, 2016, 01:50:26 am »

The night troll encounters:

Each asterisk on the map could be up to 3 night trolls. Perhaps others have seen more per asterisk? The most any character of mine has seen represented  by 1 asterisk is 3.

At dawn, Kamuk chooses the first asterisk to the east. He approaches from 2 world map tiles away moving southeast. He's armed with iron spear and tower-cap shield. He has ambusher on, and is on the ground to reduce his profile. He comes across what appear to be 2-3 night trolls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Further inspection seems to indicate some dispute as one of them lies dead.
Kamuk moves northeastward and then stands up. He moves another tile and this is enough to cause one of them to break off. The first is a starved man consort recruit. All base level skills for night trolls are level 6.

The starved man consort recruit is a converted spouse, which has always seemed a bit weaker than a true night troll. Despite fighting from a 1 level deficit for shield user skill, and a 3 level deficit for dodger skill versus the night troll's lvl 6 bite/strike/wrestler skill, Kamuk goes with Zágod Rifot (Grip Block) in this fight.

Just some brief accounting of the ticks for the beginning of the fight. Kamuk's combat preferences are set to strike(for auto-weapon-dislodge)/stand ground/stand ground. This way everything is controlled as there won't be any random dodging to random tiles. Both starved man consort recruit and Kamuk are at neutral. Kamuk's first move is to grab attack (4 ticks). The possible outcomes are: (1) the grab lands and the starved man consort recruit begins/completes an attack; or (2) the grab misses, the starved man consort recruit dodges away. If Kamuk misses the grab, we restart the process. But he doesn't. Kamuk grabs the head, the starved man consort recruit begins a kick.

Kamuk opts to manually block the kick which brings the starved man consort recruit into recovery. With the grab to the head latched on, the starved man consort recruit cannot dodge any attacks. Next Kamuk uses an iron spear quick attack (4 ticks) to the foot. The possible outcomes: (1) spear hit/miss, followed by the starved man consort recruit's counterattack triggering a successful shield block or a hit; (2) spear hit/miss, followed by failed grip break attempt. What's likely is the starved man consort recruit will get hit and will have her attack blocked/make a failed grip break. A level 5 shield has a fairly low incident of failure against a level 6 attack.
So the foundation is laid with the starved man consort recruit on the ground. All Kamuk's attacks now have double the momentum. The quick attack now has the same damage as a standard attack.

The remainder of the combat just flows its natural flow. Kamuk will take what is offered target-wise, rather than any specific targeting/goal. It plays out best when this is followed. Kamuk adds on 3 additional grabs, 4 being the maximum a standing dwarf can make. He checks the menu for any attack of opportunity (indicated by cyan !) as those are all mostly 100% hits, any good hit (marked by a dark green +), or without those being offered, he'll just pass one instant to trigger any type of starved man consort recruit attack just to shield block. Any attack Kamuk will make will be a 4 tick quick attack whether that's a strike, a spear stab, etc.

This is what will transpire until the starved man consort recruit is killed in order to train up dodger skill, shield user skill, armor, fighter, and the attack skill sets. Unfortunately for Kamuk, after only 4 exchanges, there are  a series of opportunity (indicated by cyan !) headshots. The first is a punch which is welcome since it does only light/moderate damage. The second is a spear stab which will be a killshot. I opt to work it organically instead of artificially and so the fight ends.

The next night troll is the starved man wrestler and the same process is followed.

EDIT: After pulling that 2nd night troll away, Kamuk found 3 other night trolls which all came on at the same time. That became an extended kite game of the multi-attack combo (quick attack + dodge away) until the last where he reverted to Zágod Rifot (Grip Block).

Kamuk will take a break at the local fortress Vaultreleased. He'll pick up a nice mace here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:38:57 am by peasant cretin »

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12657 on: July 13, 2016, 08:39:58 am »

So... I've finally managed to find a dark fortress on my adventures, and despite that I don't want to abandon my adventure all the way down to probably glaicers (I started around the top center of the world) I'ma take a detour to visit this place, I just hope that what lies in side isn't too difficult for my necromancer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12658 on: July 13, 2016, 11:11:09 am »

So... I've finally managed to find a dark fortress on my adventures, and despite that I don't want to abandon my adventure all the way down to probably glaicers (I started around the top center of the world) I'ma take a detour to visit this place, I just hope that what lies in side isn't too difficult for my necromancer.

You'll probably have a lot of fun raising troll and beak dog corpses. owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12659 on: July 13, 2016, 11:58:25 am »

well crash my game trying to obsideonfy my wooden roof to see if I can melt water that way.
note to self liquids kinda break when you pour a water filled minecart onto a 1/7 lava floor with an empty minecart on it.
the game couldn't figure out if it wanted to
A pour the water into the minecart that was on the floor or
B turn the floor into obsideon or
C freeze the water or
D turn the water into steam as my character was that hot enough to boil water.

the scenario also reads like some kind of puzzle.
"If a fire snake man pour 2/7 units of water on a tile containing 1/7 tile of magma and a minecart, at a frozen beach what will happen?"
and the answer is E all the above leading to a game crash.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1104