Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2096409 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8985 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:33 pm »

it's the same reason you mostly can't depopulate hamlets in that the game loads in more people if you move around the area. Because I haven't heard anyone here successfully turn a town to a ruin with panicking migrants from the town leaving to better lands. I mean in the new version of dwarf fortress not the old ones where all you needed to do is kill the leader.

You can turn towns to ruins, toady even said so, and yes I have depopulated villages myself, so i know it can be done, as I said it doesn't just load things, they have actual population numbers that are being tracked and yes, it goes down when you kill things. I'm completely serious.
If you don't believe me, use legends viewer, kill a population in a town, and export and check the population, it will have gone down, also, it is entirely possible to cause the extinction of animals in a region by hunting too many of them, as their numbers are also tracked (and yes it has been done (especially with smaller animal populations like giant wolverines where there may only be 14 of them in a region))

Also, I'm talking about dark forts.

There was a bug that caused actual "respawning" once, but toady fixed that many versions ago.
But I don't want to turn this thread into an argument or something.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:02:13 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: November 24, 2015, 01:41:53 am »

If you don't kill all thousand trolls in a region they will come back. It's why I remove [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] for lag control.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: November 24, 2015, 01:59:43 am »

No argument here, though you did peak my curiosity on the population cap of a town could set the town as ruined.
I guess I didn't want to poke around with towns like that til I Figure out how to set ruined created sites to not-ruin first(with out diving into dwarf  mode to retire them).
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: November 26, 2015, 05:35:56 am »

Gaah, still figuring out 0.40, and getting my skull caved in multiple times in the process. Speaking of which, the AI sure wants me to stay dead. Always with the head-smashing; if you're gonna kill me at least be creative about it. Like gut me and leave me for dead idk.

also i'm new btw hi
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:45:57 am by LostKitten »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: November 26, 2015, 05:53:35 am »

Welcome to crazy town, leave your sanity at the door.

It would actually be pretty cool if the autotargeting AI would, in fact, target anything other than the head when given a change. Brain-perforation wasn't always the chosen method of execution, and being stabbed in the precious, squishy organs feels far more poetic.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8990 on: November 26, 2015, 06:06:13 am »

Gaah, still figuring out 0.40, and getting my skull caved in multiple times in the process. Speaking of which, the AI sure wants me to stay dead. Always with the head-smashing; if you're gonna kill me at least be creative about it. Like gut me and leave me for dead idk.

also i'm new btw hi
The AI seems to go for head-smashes when you lose consciousness most of the time. Often I get my pinky smashed, passing out, and then my skull gets crushed, without fail; unless they're too weak to do so, in which case I can actually regain consciousness and horribly mutilate them for destroying my posh finger.

Welcome to Bay12! Hope you like miasma!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:29 am »

Added the S.L.A.D.E. wagons and children to the victorian fortress mod, replaced the russian and french entities with them, respectively, then removed the other entities, tinkered with it until it loaded up and worked.

Trundled around blasting children with my cannon, got a musket, blasted them with that, ran them over, trundled into them, saw some asterisks spinning around and approached the battle cautiously.

Was like 20 wagons and none from my side so they started chasing and shooting at me right away.

Didn't know it was 20 at first, I just saw three, two running, so I shot at one and this happened.

Very amusing.

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: November 26, 2015, 09:10:22 am »

Welcome to crazy town, leave your sanity at the door.

It would actually be pretty cool if the autotargeting AI would, in fact, target anything other than the head when given a change. Brain-perforation wasn't always the chosen method of execution, and being stabbed in the precious, squishy organs feels far more poetic.

It always takes a few good solid whacks anyway. Surely it would be more economical to stick me in the soft parts. cuz then you can even stand over me and say mean things.

thx for the hellos :3
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:18:56 am by LostKitten »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: November 26, 2015, 09:37:49 am »

I was thinking it would be nice if they'd go for strangling since then the hunting cheetah would have clamped down and strangled that ibex instead of clawing at the head til it bled out.

I'd say hello but you might get trundled and that isn't safe since I've been wagoning around.

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: November 26, 2015, 09:50:04 am »

I was thinking it would be nice if they'd go for strangling since then the hunting cheetah would have clamped down and strangled that ibex instead of clawing at the head til it bled out.

I'd say hello but you might get trundled and that isn't safe since I've been wagoning around.

If this game proves anything it's that safety is overrated.

oh, and losing is-- *crossbow bolt to the face*

Edit: in other news Ras Mobcities, unstoppable on the battlefield, is currently meandering a sandy wasteland dying of thirst since all the rivers are frozen. Quite apposite really.

Edit2: Also, if I might make a suggestion, please make eating and drinking separate things. Drinking a lot shouldn't make me too waterlogged to eat anything. All it means is I have to travel a single tile on the world map to do it again.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:13:56 pm by LostKitten »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: November 26, 2015, 12:49:42 pm »

Do you have a waterskin?

Drop the water and refill the skin from the puddle, drink from the puddle.

If it is frozen make a campfire, interact with the waterskin and heat it near the campfire to melt it, then do this.

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: November 26, 2015, 01:01:31 pm »

Do you have a waterskin?

Drop the water and refill the skin from the puddle, drink from the puddle.

If it is frozen make a campfire, interact with the waterskin and heat it near the campfire to melt it, then do this.

Oh yeah i know about the frozen stuff, but i can't believe it took me this long to find out i had a waterskin (despite drinking all the water from it. I assumed he just carried cubes of h2o everywhere.)  :-[

but  the game crashed so none of that ever happened

<.<

>.>
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:23:01 pm by LostKitten »

Anonymax

• Bay Watcher
  • Rated "D" For Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: November 26, 2015, 01:51:16 pm »

i found a vault and made it all the way to the bottom just to discover that the slab wasn't there, then i revealed the map with dfhack and found that the room with the slab is inaccessible...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: November 26, 2015, 02:26:36 pm »

i found a vault and made it all the way to the bottom just to discover that the slab wasn't there, then i revealed the map with dfhack and found that the room with the slab is inaccessible...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
time to boot up advfort and dig it out or find the switch that opens that room.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: November 26, 2015, 04:20:42 pm »

Turns out Ras Mobcities the Insensitive Palisade of Luxury didn't die of thirst. instead he got torn apart by a pack of giant dingoes.

Sic transit gloria etc etc
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1104