Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2096427 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8970 on: November 21, 2015, 07:00:30 am »

Remove a bracket from use_evil_animals and likes_site:dark_fortress.

Anonymax

• Bay Watcher
  • Rated "D" For Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: November 21, 2015, 06:54:31 pm »

Beginner's luck, I guess
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: November 22, 2015, 11:41:31 am »

If all else fails, use fire bronze.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8973 on: November 22, 2015, 02:56:24 pm »

My swordsdwarf is jumping around a dark tower killing trolls. The reason he is jumping is that this is the fastest way to move through the massive fps lag. The reason he is killing trolls is to hopefully reduce said lag.
they respawn. if anything your kinda filling the area with bodies of trolls which would uhh bloat the save.

You know they have actual populations I the fortress that you CAN reduce if you kill them right?
SO eventually the lag would be reduced,... because you depopulated it.

(edited to make it less aggressive looking, I wasn't tring to be aggressive or anything)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:12:04 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8974 on: November 22, 2015, 02:58:00 pm »

My swordsdwarf is jumping around a dark tower killing trolls. The reason he is jumping is that this is the fastest way to move through the massive fps lag. The reason he is killing trolls is to hopefully reduce said lag.
they respawn. if anything your kinda filling the area with bodies of trolls which would uhh bloat the save.
Oh, I see. I'll stop doing that then.

You are fine, just check the population of the site with legends viewer before going there, there might be hundreds, but they don't just "respawn" like rumrusher said thay have an actual population.
I am an indie game dev!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: November 22, 2015, 03:57:01 pm »

Trolls don't, they respawn. Sorry guys.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8976 on: November 22, 2015, 04:04:16 pm »

Trolls don't, they respawn. Sorry guys.

the game tracks all populations, some forts can have hundreds of trolls, but they still track the pop and you can kill them all eventually.
I can assure you of this.

The only populations that are infinite are:
Vermin Populations
Demons.

It is like spawning sometimes, but it is still tracking the pop and wont spawn them once the pop hits 0.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:12:25 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: November 22, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »

Didn't somebody do science and demons aren't actually infinite, there's just like nine billion of them?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: November 23, 2015, 11:20:57 am »

Lately I've been trying to justify the slaughter of every goblin, troll, and hired recruit in a Dark Fortress in an attempt to raise my FPS. Less units to path-find means higher FPS, right?

It was also the civilization that almost brought the last dwarven empire to extinction, so if that's not reason enough.
Just by chance, when I got there, I found a ton of Trolls revolting against their goblin overlords. A little while later I learned from an interrogation of the goblin lord (which ended with his death) that an insurrection was taking place. What better opportunity to crush my enemies than when they are fighting among themselves?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: November 23, 2015, 11:24:28 am »

Lately I've been trying to justify the slaughter of every goblin, troll, and hired recruit in a Dark Fortress in an attempt to raise my FPS. Less units to path-find means higher FPS, right?

It was also the civilization that almost brought the last dwarven empire to extinction, so if that's not reason enough.
Just by chance, when I got there, I found a ton of Trolls revolting against their goblin overlords. A little while later I learned from an interrogation of the goblin lord (which ended with his death) that an insurrection was taking place. What better opportunity to crush my enemies than when they are fighting among themselves?

Madness. You could've tried to recruit the rebels. You went and slaughtered the only good goblins in the fort, I bet. ;A;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: November 23, 2015, 04:51:59 pm »

Didn't somebody do science and demons aren't actually infinite, there's just like nine billion of them?
I have but I wasn't the only or the first.

Trolls have a max pop of like 1000001 or something and a minimum pop of 1000.

You can't depopulate them permanently by just killing them.

As for my adventures?

I was testing some ideas for the Victorian era mod and as usual I like to balance against buffed adventurers. Since there are no native buffs in that mod I added a self only interaction that fakes a martial trance, gives the flashing green exclamation point, makes your title show as whirling dervish, boosts speed, strength, gives damage reduction, noexert/fear/pain/eat/sleep/drink/etc right?

I forgot that I usually make it [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] and [CDI:TARGET:SELF_ONLY] so npcs won't use it on themselves.

I came around a corner into a fort with a mad scientist(touch range only necromancers that require resurrectable corpses and can provide some bolstering effects to nearby creatures) and a horde of experimental creatures (zombies that can talk, feel pain, vomit, and get strengthened by the scientist), gathering more bodies for my army that I was going to siege a gigantic experiment (megabeast version of the creatures with most of the scientist buff effects active already) with... forgetting that they're all opposed_to_life and thus won't fight each other. >.>

But yeah, the dorfs in this fortress were when I realized I hadn't made sure npcs won't activate the fake trance ability.

I went to snipe the military dorfs so they don't take out my creatures too fast and noticed I was targeting a musketeer whirling dervish... who was beside an animal trainer whirling dervish, and a fisherdwarf whirling dervish.

It was awesome, and the only reason my creatures didn't lose right out was because I kept reanimating and buffing them as I scooted around the battlefield.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8981 on: November 23, 2015, 06:43:47 pm »

Didn't somebody do science and demons aren't actually infinite, there's just like nine billion of them
I have but I wasn't the only or the first.

Trolls have a max pop of like 1000001 or something and a minimum pop of 1000.

You can't depopulate them permanently by just killing them

As for my adventures?

I was testing some ideas for the Victorian era mod and as usual I like to balance against buffed adventurers. Since there are no native buffs in that mod I added a self only interaction that fakes a martial trance, gives the flashing green exclamation point, makes your title show as whirling dervish, boosts speed, strength, gives damage reduction, noexert/fear/pain/eat/sleep/drink/etc right?

I forgot that I usually make it [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] and [CDI:TARGET:SELF_ONLY] so npcs won't use it on themselves.

I came around a corner into a fort with a mad scientist(touch range only necromancers that require resurrectable corpses and can provide some bolstering effects to nearby creatures) and a horde of experimental creatures (zombies that can talk, feel pain, vomit, and get strengthened by the scientist), gathering more bodies for my army that I was going to siege a gigantic experiment (megabeast version of the creatures with most of the scientist buff effects active already) with... forgetting that they're all opposed_to_life and thus won't fight each other. >.>

But yeah, the dorfs in this fortress were when I realized I hadn't made sure npcs won't activate the fake trance ability.

I went to snipe the military dorfs so they don't take out my creatures too fast and noticed I was targeting a musketeer whirling dervish... who was beside an animal trainer whirling dervish, and a fisherdwarf whirling dervish.

It was awesome, and the only reason my creatures didn't lose right out was because I kept reanimating and buffing them as I scooted around the battlefield.

Ive  seen dark forts with far less then 1000 trolls with legends viewer.
why can't you depopulate them? do they just reproduce too fast??
I am an indie game dev!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: November 23, 2015, 06:59:41 pm »

Ive  seen dark forts with far less then 1000 trolls with legends viewer.
why can't you depopulate them? do they just reproduce too fast??
Are you thinking about dark pits or actual dark fortresses? We're talking about just dark fortresses.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: November 23, 2015, 07:01:16 pm »

it's the same reason you mostly can't depopulate hamlets in that the game loads in more people if you move around the area. Because I haven't heard anyone here successfully turn a town to a ruin with panicking migrants from the town leaving to better lands. I mean in the new version of dwarf fortress not the old ones where all you needed to do is kill the leader.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: November 23, 2015, 07:23:19 pm »

If you want to fight, play 0.34.
If you don't, play 0.40.
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1104