Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2095233 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #4170 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:45 pm »

Installed the .09 patch and noticed some changes. I can carry more before it effects speed, but the drop-off beyond that is much sharper, so movement rate falls quicker. Also, while running through the mountains, a yak managed to notice me sneaking and knocked me into a canyon. I fell 11-levels into a brook, but this:

You slam into an obstacle!
it  You in the upper body, but the attack is deflected by Your +iron mail shirt+!
it  You in the upper body, but the attack is deflected by Your +iron mail shirt+!
it  You in the upper body, but the attack is deflected by Your ðiron high bootð!
Your right hand takes the full force of the impact, bruising the fat through the *®*iron right gauntlet*¯*!
Your left foot takes the full force of the impact, bruising the fat through the ðiron high bootð!

I got a bruised right hand and left foot and walked away stunned.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:19:00 pm by Uzu Bash »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: May 17, 2012, 08:34:33 pm »

When you think of each tile being roughly 1 square meter, you would've fallen about 10-11 metres. Humans can survive that with a few broken bones, unless they're lucky and manage to absorb most of the force on something.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: May 17, 2012, 09:27:02 pm »

I know, but in DF usually 2 z is enough to break bones, 3-4 is enough to leave you invalid for life, more than that is lethal. So falling damage has been tweaked a lot for any character to walk away from a 4+ lvl fall.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: May 18, 2012, 07:24:19 am »

I know, but in DF usually 2 z is enough to break bones, 3-4 is enough to leave you invalid for life, more than that is lethal. So falling damage has been tweaked a lot for any character to walk away from a 4+ lvl fall.
Not only that a 10z drop is no longer instantly fatal. It used to be if you fell that far you exploded on impact.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: May 18, 2012, 08:46:26 am »

Got tasked to kill a hydra. Turned out to be 12 hydra. For that, I'll have to double the fee, which is, as per standard, nothing. I'm running a charity hydra extermination here!

They just poured out of the place right after announcing themselves. I had creep around the cliffs to keep them from bundling up and detecting me. Getting heart stabs on them is easy, but they keep going for a long time before bleeding out, probably because they have two of them. That lair was washed in red before I even started butchering.

When I checked their histories in Legends, I found the one I was sent to kill was the youngest, and hadn't killed anyone yet. The others had kill counts from 40 to 800. They didn't tell me that before they sent me out here. I suspect a set-up. I'd go back and kill the lord, but I don't feel like going that direction for awhile, and by the time I do I'll probably forget and take another fool's errand from him.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

I got sick of working for a demon, so I headed back home. Back to my hometown. Where they never thought I'd amount to anything, and still aren't impressed with my heroism. Where they scoffed at my name, which was pretty stupid back then, and only got lamer, an achievement they surely appreciate. ("Oh, you're a hero now, 'Jace Wingpoked'? The 'Most Tunnel of Spikes'? What the hell does that mean? You still have to sweep the porch and feed the alpaca, oh 'Spikiest Tunnelone'!")

I'd never actually been to my capital before, so I went to pay my respects to the ruler and leave my legendary battle axe in the royal collection. It's not as notable as I wanted it to be, but hey, there are three titan kills on it. No one in history has that! Must count for something, right?

Then I found out my ruler was a vampire. Surrounded by a protective cult, even. She's been feeding off our people for many years, while the next civilization over thrives. Disillusioned, disoriented, disgusted, after I called her out and killed her and her cohorts, I took off for foreign lands, someplace resembling mine, but far away from it. Where the wind sings as it chaps your lips, where the giant parakeet men chirp lyrically about how you should get off their fucking land, where the rhinos and snakes lounge on the roads like they own the fucking thing. Like home, but with new faces on the currency.

I whacked a desert titan on the way, for the glory of whoever the fuck asked me to do it. I was running low on titan meat anyway -- that stuff is addictive. The first town I reached, I asked for any and all work they could give me, and they gave me an exhausting amount of it, so much that I just had to cut the guy off or I'd never get anything done. First up; a vampire embedded in a community. I set out to interrogate the town.

Some guy in a shack caught my eye, a crossbowman wearing a bit of human bone. I asked him about his past, in which he scored some kills, and his family, living in the area, then confronted him. Turns out he wasn't the vampire. Hm, but he's got experience, and a name like "Sithe Glovenight"...that's way cooler than mine. So I asked him to come along for the night's hunt.

And now I have a sidekick. A useless sidekick. I should've taken a closer look before inviting him, cause I would've seen how 'very fat' he is, and his poor equipment, and bronze bolts. Turns out his kills were people he confronted who weren't even vampires, but he killed them anyway, meanwhile the vampire infiltrating his own town was only two doors down and he didn't find him. Fucking worthless.

I wanted to let him prove himself and work off some of that lard, so I switched to a fighting style I hadn't mastered. I was already in top form in the weapons I had at hand, so I decided to work on my biting skills -- never know when that'll be useful, or necessary. And now I'm on a hunt across a series of lairs trying to bite eyelids off while waiting for this dumbass to bolt them to death. So far he's only managed one kill out of 8, with 5 more to go.

I think after he runs out of bolts I'm just going to let him get ripped up. That should make him famous.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: May 18, 2012, 03:51:44 pm »

Shithead ran out of bolts but still managed to lengthen his name by racking up three more kills. "Sithe Glovenight the Striker of Groves". Not that much cooler, but still better than mine. Then in one lair, he put himself between two serpentman vampires who both chomped into him.

Ah ha, I thought. This is a good time to let him prove himself, so I went into hiding.

"Help me!" he screamed.
"You're doing a good job, man" I hollered back.
"They're tearing me apart!" he said.
"Nah, that's just a flesh wound. Walk it off."
"They're about to kill me!"
"Slithe Glovenight, believe in me who believes in you!"

And he did. The poor bastard believed in me to the day he died, which was minutes from the minute he started believing in me. So, does anyone else want to be my sidekick?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:55:04 pm by Uzu Bash »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: May 19, 2012, 02:15:14 am »

Just wrestled half the day with a giant sponge. Turns out they give 130ish experience per wrestle attempt, but no exp in any other skill...

Legendary+5 wrestler was a few levels ago ;-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: May 19, 2012, 06:59:51 am »

Powerleveled an adventurer, but ran into 2 bugs: vampire blood not making me a vampire, and some loyalty cascade thing... I'm trying to solve it by retiring for a while.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: May 19, 2012, 07:12:26 am »

Just wrestled half the day with a giant sponge. Turns out they give 130ish experience per wrestle attempt, but no exp in any other skill...

Just a note, you earn more Wrestling exp if you 'try/adjust your grip' than going for straight hits with them grapples.

This only works if you wrestle things larger than you, or crippled things that are larger than you. The latter is safer.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: May 19, 2012, 07:37:30 am »

Powerleveled an adventurer, but ran into 2 bugs: vampire blood not making me a vampire, and some loyalty cascade thing... I'm trying to solve it by retiring for a while.

Vampire problem persists, but the loyalty cascade was solved.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: May 19, 2012, 12:38:24 pm »

Just a note, you earn more Wrestling exp if you 'try/adjust your grip' than going for straight hits with them grapples.

This only works if you wrestle things larger than you, or crippled things that are larger than you. The latter is safer.

Even 10 levels past legendary, I couldn't actually grab it. It broke my grip every time, but I got quite a bit of experience, regardless :p

Thanks for the tip, though :-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: May 19, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »

A couple of firsts. I was asked to kill an ant-woman bandit in the catacombs. Apparently ant-people are part of the civilization here, though I haven't yet seen a citizen. The main temple didn't have any basement, but the smaller chapel did. I didn't find her anywhere in there, but there was a passage to the sewers. Right across from that was an entry into another catacombs, underneath where I would estimate to be the main church.

After exploring quite a bit, I finally found a room full of loot splattered with vampire blood and antperson ichor, and an enraged vampire. Goddamn vampires -- now they're stealing my kills!

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: May 19, 2012, 04:22:27 pm »

First I raided a den of night monsters, and the firt thing that happens is that I'm hit in the lungs. I realizing that it was a mortal wound, proceed to go on a rampage with my sword in retaliation, killing six (a companion got the last one). My revenge complete, I decide to sleep to embrace death. However, it appeared that the news of my mortal wound was greatly exaggerated, as I woke up with minor wounds. :D Having been given a second chance at life, I look to report this news to a fellow human. Unfortunately, I make a wrong turn and find Goblins. They slaughter my two companions, though I manage to fight them off. I can't go though their armor, so I just cut their limbs off and let them bleed to death. As I was about ready to apply this method to a second goblin, a bowman tries to distract me from a distance. He does. By putting a bolt through my brain. >:( God, I love this game.

EDIT:In my next adventure, I recruited three goblins to assist me. I fast traveled to the mission location, and all of a sudden they want to kill me. Within a couple rounds of combat, I've lost the ability to stand, and shortly following that I lost the ability to hold a weapon. Then I got mad and started throwing stuff at them. Things went much better, as one thrown arrow went straight through a goblin's brain, while another gave into pain after taking a thrown shield to the throat(it helped that I bit both of his hands off). The last one just bled to death.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:41:00 pm by wsoxfan »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: May 19, 2012, 06:30:44 pm »

Found a massive L-shaped hole in the ground. It's sitting on the edge of a road and river, without cutting either of them. DFHack isn't working for this version, so I can't reveal it. So I saved, took a dive into it, and found that it goes all the way down to the magma sea. I have no idea whether it cuts into the circus or not, but something down there is eating up my frames, and it's possibly liquid draining somewhere. I suppose if the clowns were going to come out, they would've while I was sleeping nearby.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1104