Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2095113 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #4185 on: May 19, 2012, 10:51:12 pm »

Finally reached the capital and after clearing an insanely thick perimeter of lairs, I went straight to the keep and accused the law-giver. Dumb bastard could've denied it; I didn't have any solid proof. Surprise, he's a vampire! I don't hate him for that, I hate him for being such a suckass ruler. This place is a dump, and every hamlet I passed through on the way had two vampire infiltrators living there. And this fat bastard sits here in the shambles he made of the place wearing his masterworked serpent man crown - I'm fabulous, bitch! - I wonder how the ruler the next civ over would find that. And are those masterworked leather gloves? Thank you, mine were wearing out. This must be the only masterwork leather in this shitthole; I swear the quality of the shop goods suck so much ass the merchants don't even want to show their faces in their own shops. I should wipe out the rest of this damn city, just shoot them all in the heads with their own coins.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: May 20, 2012, 06:52:37 am »

@uzu Bash

Huh. The world I genned in 34.07 and recently deleted had sucky frames at times, and demons had started popping up attacking places. I wonder if I had searched well enough, if had something like that, too.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: May 20, 2012, 07:27:43 am »

Found a massive L-shaped hole in the ground. It's sitting on the edge of a road and river, without cutting either of them. DFHack isn't working for this version, so I can't reveal it. So I saved, took a dive into it, and found that it goes all the way down to the magma sea. I have no idea whether it cuts into the circus or not, but something down there is eating up my frames, and it's possibly liquid draining somewhere. I suppose if the clowns were going to come out, they would've while I was sleeping nearby.

embark on it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: May 20, 2012, 09:17:05 am »

I actually found another hole nearby, and this one did cut both the road and the river. So endless water pouring for uncounted z-levels into magma would explain the fps hit.

Btw, when is loam supposed to be combustible? I found a single patch of it on a ruined floor where I was going to sleep for the night, so I lit a campfire there. After sleeping: "You are caught in a burst of loam!" All it did was leave me unconscious and covered in loam. Why couldn't it have done that while I was already asleep?

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: May 20, 2012, 09:47:23 am »

"You are caught in a burst of loam!"

Ahaaahaaaaaaaaaaa, I love DF

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: May 20, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »

My clothes were rotting off me, so I had to make my way to the biggest and finest civilization I've so far encountered. The capital was only a short walk from a necromancer's tower, and since I'd already reached my physical peak I figured it was time to tier up another rung to godhood. I seized the secrets man was not meant to know and carried on.

Masterworked leather is in such abundance in this town that I can afford to be choosy. Chicken-leather? Nice, but not nice enough. Ah, rhino leather, that's what I'm talking about. Armadillo leather? Respectable, but I'll go with the lion hide. Llama leather? Save it for the herders and give me the blue shark leather. Cow leather? Now you're getting silly -- whoever heard of leather from a cow?

They seem to embellish their thongs with more loving care than I find comfortable, putting masterwork adornment on masterwork garments. Though I can't complain about fine material quality snuggling up to your nethers, were the rhinestones necessary? I think I'll stick with skirts.

Can't be choosy with cloaks, though, it's difficult enough to find six top-quality ones. I'd hoard them if I could find enough of them to hoard. This whole tedious clothes hunt is worth it. After the first level of depreciation, masterwork leather is still as good as any other leather I could find. These are built to last, at least for a few months of bloodbaths and weather exposure.

Sukiari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: May 20, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »

I was showing off Dwarf Fortress to somebody in a drunken fit last night and eventually my newest victim has ended up in the middle of the ocean.  He's now a very skilled swimmer and is not tired or anything.  I had a good 2 day rest and eat period before I left on this stupid swim, but there's a necromancer's tower on a tiny island and the only way to get there is to make like a fish.

I am at the halfway point, so there's no point in turning back now.  Framerate is good, but it takes 20 seconds for the screen / map to recenter as I swim steadily eastward.  I haven't encountered so much as a herring so far.

I thought water would be a problem, but as I swam out into the ocean from a river I am apparently still coated with water, not salt water.  Evidently it forms a protective film against salt water.  I can drink it off my eyelids and body and I have enough bluefin tuna and salmon (from the nice sushi man) to make it the whole way.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: May 20, 2012, 04:20:36 pm »

You think water's bad? Try ice. Frozen oceans are terrible.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:43 pm »

You think water's bad? Try ice. Frozen oceans are terrible.
Took a nap on a frozen ocean and woke up to find a sea serpent mad-dogging me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: May 20, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »

The damn things won't stop chasing me! I don't want to kill them, since carrying their bones would slow me down even more, so I have to knock them on the head until they run away.
Sig! Onol

Sukiari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: May 20, 2012, 05:56:24 pm »

I managed to make it across, but the necromancer doesn't seem to be in the tower.  Maybe I just haven't found him in there yet.  He is from the nearby village, anyway.

I think swimming all that distance made my warrior more powerful somehow.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: May 20, 2012, 05:59:47 pm »

Swimming trains some physical attributes, don't know what.
Sig! Onol

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: May 20, 2012, 06:00:29 pm »

I think swimming all that distance made my warrior more powerful somehow.
Naturally. Check out all the attributes it develops: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Swimmer

Developing Swimming is definitely recommended for any new adventurer.

Kaiserr

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: May 20, 2012, 06:28:00 pm »

In Masterwork,I just found a lair and went down to find a sea serpent on land.
Long story short,I broke his spine and he drowned.
Wait, you type with your feet? That's badass.
DF: Beat people to death with their own appendages!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: May 20, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »

In Masterwork,I just found a lair and went down to find a sea serpent on land.
Long story short,I broke his spine and he drowned.
I was just attacked by a sea monster in the jungle, I threw my pants at it and it drowned.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1104