Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism  (Read 10079 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2010, 01:21:34 pm »

Dwarven children who immigrate can reach maturity at incredibly low ages. (due to some bug)

Nothing like a 9 year old champion and father of three amiright?

Are you sure that's what you're seeing? Immigrant children can be of a random age below 12, meaning that someone one matured 3 years after reaching your fort had been 9 when they reached you.

Or do you mean you actually saw immigrant babies who then matured earlier than expected?

He was my favourite Dwarf. Rovod Shakenrims the Flower of Acts. (but he wasnt a champion or a father)

he was "born" in 190. he immigrated in 192. matured in 193 and died in 198 after slaying nine creatures.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »

Dwarven children who immigrate can reach maturity at incredibly low ages. (due to some bug)

Nothing like a 9 year old champion and father of three amiright?

Are you sure that's what you're seeing? Immigrant children can be of a random age below 12, meaning that someone one matured 3 years after reaching your fort had been 9 when they reached you.

Or do you mean you actually saw immigrant babies who then matured earlier than expected?

He was my favourite Dwarf. Rovod Shakenrims the Flower of Acts. (but he wasnt a champion or a father)

he was "born" in 190. he immigrated in 192. matured in 193 and died in 198 after slaying nine creatures.

Damn, popped out of the womb swinging his +=Plasental Hammer=+
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2010, 02:00:45 pm »

I hope you don't hold it against me that I doubted you, but that's the first time I heard of that bug. Now I'm just wondering why the word born is quotation marks. If that was for emphasis - as opposed to denote that it wasn't meant literally - then I recommend using italics or boldface for that in the future.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2010, 02:36:18 pm »

I hope you don't hold it against me that I doubted you, but that's the first time I heard of that bug. Now I'm just wondering why the word born is quotation marks. If that was for emphasis - as opposed to denote that it wasn't meant literally - then I recommend using italics or boldface for that in the future.

... what?

He was "born" as in that's the birthday he was given upon creation. A birthday that was 9 years too late. Thus the quotation marks.

Why are you going around making assumptions and correcting peoples spelling based on those very assumptions? That is annoying as ****!!.. but the doubting wasn't. oh and. I brought it up in a thread somewhere but it was apparently rather well known already so I never thought much about it.
It's still fun to have a child with a...
+=Plasental Hammer=+

... I think i'm gonna be sick.
I have an art blog now.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2010, 02:54:24 pm »

I really don't see what's so annoying about my earlier post, but I guess it's your right to feel about it however you please.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2010, 03:16:15 pm »

FORUM CATFIGHT!

Watch out, Assimilateur: the most reasoned and calm responses will be taken as personal insults, and result in you getting reported and possibly warned or muted. Happens all the time, just walk away.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »

It's not a huge deal, but we have a saying in Sweden: "You shan't come uninvited with advice."

It's simply put; rude.

FORUM CATFIGHT!

Watch out, Assimilateur: the most reasoned and calm responses will be taken as personal insults, and result in you getting reported and possibly warned or muted. Happens all the time, just walk away.

... lol
I have an art blog now.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »

Ah, the internet, where the "men" are 13 yo boys, the women are men, and everyone and their brother will go to war over the most innocent and harmless of comments.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »

"13 yo boys" ... "catfights" ... "reported, warned, muted" ... "go to war" ...

We're having a discussion! Stop poking me with sticks.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:28:34 pm by Aspgren »
I have an art blog now.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2010, 03:30:30 pm »

So where do I cast my ballot for Aspgren? (:

Scratch that, where do I vote for a stop-showing-up-on-my-unread-replies-list button.

[Rude statement I didn't really mean was here]

Seriously, I wish I could unsubscribe from this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:32:30 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »

First pedophilia, now nit-picky whining.

I thought I was posting on the Dwarf Fortress forums, but I guess I'm actually at Myspace.

Seriously, calm down and get back to talking about keeping noble children from becoming mayor.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »

Seriously, I wish I could unsubscribe from this.

We have a subscription option? .. that's the "notify" button right?

I clicked it. It asked me if I was sure that I wanted notifications. I said yes. .. and then I clicked it again. "are you sure you want to disable notifications?" heck yes! was just trying.

So that's your answer. I think.
I have an art blog now.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2010, 03:39:34 pm »

I guess it's pretty two-sided after all. Either way, it's a catfight and it needs to stop. Both should just walk away.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2010, 03:44:23 pm »

It's not a huge deal, but we have a saying in Sweden: "You shan't come uninvited with advice."

It's simply put; rude.

Believe it or not, but I mostly agree. In the situation we're referring to, however, I don't really see it. Here's a recap, in case I wasn't clear the first time around:
Not being sure what you meant by those quotation marks, I inquired whether they were used for emphasis, in which case I would recommend italics to avoid ambiguity. I really don't see how one can consider that rude.

assimilateur obviously understood Aspgren's message, but jumped on the opportunity to "correct" his punctuation. 

Understanding the gist of a message doesn't equal understanding the usage of a certain phrase, style, etc.

Yeah, that's kinda rude, and typical of assimilateur.

Now don't we all wish this forum had an ignore feature.

nit-picky whining.

Ah, the internet. The place where everything you don't agree with is either stupid, rude or "whining". Nobody's whining about anything here, unless you want to define whining as discussing.

Either way, it's a catfight and it needs to stop. Both should just walk away.

I think it's actually the two parties concerned who are posting in the least bellicose way right now. I wouldn't exactly call this a fight between Aspgren and me.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2010, 03:47:26 pm »

Ah, the internet. The place where everything you don't agree with is either stupid, rude or "whining". Nobody's whining about anything here, unless you want to define whining as discussing.
Whether it's whining or discussing, it's unimportant and doesn't belong within this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9