Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The King is no more  (Read 1832 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
The King is no more
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:06:23 am »

So my king, whom I had been pitting in goblin combat to get the "doesn't care about anything anymore" trait, went berserk. He did this because all the other nobles also had royal everything rooms, despite the fact that his are about 5 times better (3 tier throne room with platinum, gold, silver, steel, bronze and clear glass masterworks!? Not enough!).
Now the thing is, his palace was not yet 100% finished when he died. Things like doors (to be made or rose gold, which has to be imported) are missing and I am working on building a waterfall and two magmafalls in the throne room, so the palace will be completed!
This brings upon a dilema, the only person in the palace is the advisor, as the king had no spouse. That means I have a huge empty facility.
Now, whom should announce king? There are many different candidates and options.

1) I had a couple of (impractical) Dukes before my current one, one of which actually gave birth to a baby girl before she died. This girl has a custom profession "Ducal Orphan" and is now a champion in the royal guard. The cons to her being queen are that she is in the Royal Guard, and thus will spend all her time in the barracks and use the extremely luxurious facilities sparingly (for eating and sleeping, the throne room may aswell be shut down).

2) The current Duke. One of the few candidates who will actually use the throne room, showing its splendour to the elven and human diplomats. This brings about the problem as what to do with his current "palace" aswell as what to do with his wife.

3) The acting mayor. The mayor will meet with upset dwarves in the grandest room imaginable. And since my mayor is also (always, regardless if another one is elected) my record keeper and manager, he will use his throne room for work. The flip side is that updating records or processing orders for the construction of goods seems a little mundane for such a room.

4) One of the current Duke's children. They would act as a normal peasant, never using the throne room, but will use the other facilities more often than the royal guard.

Reading what I wrote, the only real options seem to be the mayor or the duke.

So, any advice?

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: The King is no more
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:35:00 am »

I say put the king in a glass coffin, place it in the middle of the throne room.
Complete everything, and then proceed to flood all the royal quarters with magma.
That way the king shall be remembered and nobody will ever disturb his royal sleep.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:26 am »

I would suggest moving your duke to the kings room, and the mayour to the dukes room. Just move them all a step up.

Or you could cook the kings corpse in his own palace like the above post suggested. Its a bit wasteful as much of the stuff there will melt, but it certainly is dwarfier ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

none0000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:47:45 pm »

Personally i'd go with option 5 : the dungeon master (assuming you have one in your fortress). As the only noble who actually does anything worthwhile, I always give my dungeon master very nice rooms decorated with stuff which matches his preferences.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

As the only noble who actually does anything worthwhile, I always give my dungeon master very nice rooms decorated with stuff which matches his preferences.
Like cloaks.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:41:17 pm »

And cloaks.

Also, cloaks.

...he really likes his cloaks...

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 04:04:14 pm »

As the only noble who actually does anything worthwhile, I always give my dungeon master very nice rooms decorated with stuff which matches his preferences.
Like cloaks.
And copper!
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

Personally i'd go with option 5 : the dungeon master (assuming you have one in your fortress). As the only noble who actually does anything worthwhile, I always give my dungeon master very nice rooms decorated with stuff which matches his preferences.

This. I always give my DM the best of everything, because Dungeon Masters are awesome and useful. Just make sure you have magma somewhere in the room, because otherwise it's not fit for a DM.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Comrade Ankh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 08:20:04 pm »

Give it to someone who will really appreciate it. The Philosopher will do nothing but think about the majesty of his home.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »

lock the hammerer in a small room to berserk him and capture in a cage trap. Place the cage in the throne room connected to a lever, and have him guard the kings body in such manner.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »

The King is dead, Long Live the King!
If only he would turn into a zombie, then he would guard his own grave.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:21 am »

Turn it into a historical site. Set doors as inside, and designate a dining room from something. People can view the splendor of the dwarven people.

Alternately, duke becomes king.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 01:58:25 am »

You can do that with dwarf companion, actually.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:44 am »

Who was the original expedition leader?

Give it to that dwarf and let them lord their possessions over everyone else.  You can never have too many berserk nobles.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Kallemort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 07:46:13 am »

You can do that with dwarf companion, actually.

The zombie will spawn where he died though. And the corpse would still exist.
Pages: [1] 2