Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do hippos ever  (Read 4415 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Do hippos ever
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:42:54 pm »

Migrate off the map?

Or will i have to build up an army and have an extermination campaign against them? I've got orc sieges to deal with as well
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Do hippos ever
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:44:10 pm »

As far as I'm aware hippos are natives to surface water features, sort of like carp and sturgeons.

I think you're going to have to eliminate them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:51:03 pm »

As far as I'm aware hippos are natives to surface water features, sort of like carp and sturgeons.

I think you're going to have to eliminate them.

well, at least it will give me a chance to train my marksdwarves
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:37 pm »

Would catching them be feasible? I mean, carving ramps for them would conceivably prompt them to leave their rivers, right? I've never embarked near any hippos, so this is all speculation.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:05 pm »

I've already got a breeding pair and a few female and male calves tamed. the rest are making a nuisance of themselves

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »

I've already got a breeding pair and a few female and male calves tamed. the rest are making a nuisance of themselves

How did you catch them then? I'll be generating a new world tomorrow, I think, and it would be nice to know how easy I can catch hippos before I go out of my way to look for an appropriate biome.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:48 pm »

I'd assume you just put a cage trap out somewhere that they like to stand.

I have a cage trap I randomly placed out in the middle of a field with absolutely nothing baiting anything to step on it, it's just sitting in the middle of nowhere, and I forgot all about it.

I recently found it again, because it had three filled cages flashing on top of it, I had caught 2 unicorns and a groundhog, and nobody had bothered to carry the cages back into the fort yet.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »

.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Nom nom nom

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:24:07 pm »

Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.

Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 11:45:00 pm »

.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.

Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 02:51:04 am »

well, the first offensive in the Hippo-dwarf war has been a complete failure.

Dwarf losses- 4 axemen, 4 hunter's

Hippo losses- 2 adults, 1 calf

this will not do! Release the Fire Golem!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:56:30 am by twwolfe »

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 03:50:05 am »

Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!
Sig'd

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 04:08:30 am »

I recommend building a platform 1 or 2 Z-levels higher than the river surface. Trap the walkway across the platform, preferably with cages, or provide access by underground tunnel. Have the platform overhang the river by use of levitating constructed floors with fortifications built at the edges.

And now you have a nice sniping spot to get rid of carp, hippos, and whatever aquatic beasties you have trouble with. Feel free to train your marksman here.

Bonus points if you turn the overhang into a (safer) arching bridge.
Bonus points if you put screw pumps on it that pump the water back into the river. With no real reason other than to train your dwarves.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 04:53:38 am »

I recommend building a platform 1 or 2 Z-levels higher than the river surface. Trap the walkway across the platform, preferably with cages, or provide access by underground tunnel. Have the platform overhang the river by use of levitating constructed floors with fortifications built at the edges.

And now you have a nice sniping spot to get rid of carp, hippos, and whatever aquatic beasties you have trouble with. Feel free to train your marksman here.

Bonus points if you turn the overhang into a (safer) arching bridge.
Bonus points if you put screw pumps on it that pump the water back into the river. With no real reason other than to train your dwarves.

Well, its a long walk form the fort.I caught some fire imps, and i was planning to just turn the entire map into a roaring inferno every autumn(the dry season). managed to get most of the map and with my Fire golem vs. rabbit tactic(13 hippos, 3 of them named) but a large number of hippos escaped across the river. I'm planning on using the imps to lob a few fireballs over, thus setting the whole world ablaze

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:25 am »

Yea be careful with hippos, they are one of the most dangerous creatures, plus they like to play carp and pull dwarves into the river.  When you go after them, bring overwhelming firepower, isolate one at a time, and have some soldier with a good shield standing in front.  This one named Hippo once ate two or 3 marksdwarves, an axedwarf, and a woodcutter.  Missing one eye, one lung, and with a broken leg is still managed to take down a caravan guard before the other one finished it. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...
Pages: [1] 2