Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250364 times)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (17/6/2010)
« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2010, 02:08:22 am »

Download the newest experimental. I update it often and unannounced.

Check that you use a supported DF version. If checksum doesn't match to something dfterm2 knows about, you will always get black screen

Try different print modes. Remember to copy the dfterm_injection_glue.dll to the Dwarf Fortress directory and also keep that up to date. You will not see anything without it. I guess you did that, because without it you should not be able to give input either.

You can also try resizing DF window. This doesn't get you visual but if the size also changes inside dfterm2, it means at least some memory hacking is working (and dfterm2 recognizes DF version).

I've observed occasionally the terminal is black, it seems to depend on random factors. But it happens rarely.

I already have the newest release, been keeping up on the file repository at http://genodeen.net/files/dfterm2/ the checksum checks out, and yes, the glue file was installed as you guessed. I did try resizing the window, it didn't change in dfterm, however, changing the windowsize also didn't change the resolution of the window, just the size of it. I've been experimenting with print_modes, but none of them seem to have any effect.

I'll add more diagnostics (more detailed log messages) to the next update, which I'll probably put out today at some point.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »

So I've had it running for a little bit, able to resize DF, able to show folks what all is going on.

But so far the new and only problem I'll have is the fact that if someone disconnects it'll be anywhere from 10-45 seconds later that the dfterm2 application will crash with the useless 'unexpected error and needs to close' window prompt.

I have little clue in programming, but it crashes after it's 'pruned an inactive connection'

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2010, 04:54:48 pm »

So I've had it running for a little bit, able to resize DF, able to show folks what all is going on.

But so far the new and only problem I'll have is the fact that if someone disconnects it'll be anywhere from 10-45 seconds later that the dfterm2 application will crash with the useless 'unexpected error and needs to close' window prompt.

I have little clue in programming, but it crashes after it's 'pruned an inactive connection'

There was a bug in earlier experimental version that had that but I fixed it. Dfterm2 periodically frees memory from clients that have disconnected so there's a small delay (the crash was in this memory freeing procedure). Download the latest package.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:56:36 pm by Adeon »

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 30, 2010, 07:31:50 am »

Nice work Adeon. The only problem I have is when I want to play with a large window and the chat window overlaps the game window. Could you make a feature so you could bring a window to the top?

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 30, 2010, 09:11:54 am »

Nice work Adeon. The only problem I have is when I want to play with a large window and the chat window overlaps the game window. Could you make a feature so you could bring a window to the top?

I was thinking of doing it in easy way, and introduce some alt+key combination (maybe alt+c), that just hides or shows the chat entirely. It's in my TODO-list.

Oh, and another feature, that takes the currently focused window and enlarges it to take all of available area. (maybe alt+f).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:16:47 am by Adeon »

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2010, 01:36:30 pm »

That would be great for people using smaller terminals, like myself.

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2010, 05:37:51 pm »

I'm having problems getting this working on laptop. When I try to launch a new game, an error message pops up with:

dwarf fortress.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCR100D.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

df runs as normal after closing this error mesage but putty shows gibberish in the game window. The error message only appears when I launch it using dfterm, running df directly gives no errors. The weird thing is this file does not even exist on the other machine I installed dfterm and df 31.08 where it worked flawlessly.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2010, 06:46:38 pm »

Huh... I'll have to take a look at this.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2010, 11:06:35 am »

Hm, I seem to have discovered an issue where looking at items in the trade or bring-to-trade screen can cause DF to crash when run through DFTERM2 but not when done through a normally runnin DF.

"2010-07-01 12:01:55 Note: Game process has closed with exit code 3221225477 in slot 31.08 - wvr:1"

Can't find any other useful evidence of what causes the crash written to file.

I have a save copied; I need to test when I get home again that it definatly dosen't crash when looking at the same item, and that I didn't just get lucky dodging a corrupted mug there :).

Edit .... HMM, the crash actually seems to happen whenever you view any item that has quality, at least the qualities of "-" and "masterpiece"... even K+enter can kill it.

Edit2 ... AHA, rolling back to http://genodeen.net/files/dfterm2/dfterm2-HIGHLY-EXPERIMENTAL-2010-6-22.zip fixes the problem. That's right before you did a big change, right? New libs, different injection dll name, single-line borders on the windows... ^_^

Edit3 ... Ah, and I did test every intermediate version. Don't have anything better to do at the moment :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:18:47 pm by Star Weaver »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:13 am »

Hm, I seem to have discovered an issue where looking at items in the trade or bring-to-trade screen can cause DF to crash when run through DFTERM2 but not when done through a normally runnin DF.

"2010-07-01 12:01:55 Note: Game process has closed with exit code 3221225477 in slot 31.08 - wvr:1"

Can't find any other useful evidence of what causes the crash written to file.

I have a save copied; I need to test when I get home again that it definatly dosen't crash when looking at the same item, and that I didn't just get lucky dodging a corrupted mug there :).

Edit .... HMM, the crash actually seems to happen whenever you view any item that has quality, at least the qualities of "-" and "masterpiece"... even K+enter can kill it.

Edit2 ... AHA, rolling back to http://genodeen.net/files/dfterm2/dfterm2-HIGHLY-EXPERIMENTAL-2010-6-22.zip fixes the problem. That's right before you did a big change, right? New libs, different injection dll name, single-line borders on the windows... ^_^

Edit3 ... Ah, and I did test every intermediate version. Don't have anything better to do at the moment :)

I believe it crashes because of a very dirty way of injecting some code in the middle of DF while its running. It messes up the title because the code doesn't properly reset all registers to what DF code is expecting them to be. I did not manage to get it crash though, so I thought I'd just package and ship it. The big change here is switching from MinGW to MSVC++, which probably generate slightly different code that's being injected.

Fixing fixing, when I have time...

I'm having problems getting this working on laptop. When I try to launch a new game, an error message pops up with:

dwarf fortress.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCR100D.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

df runs as normal after closing this error mesage but putty shows gibberish in the game window. The error message only appears when I launch it using dfterm, running df directly gives no errors. The weird thing is this file does not even exist on the other machine I installed dfterm and df 31.08 where it worked flawlessly.

MSVCRD100D.dll is a debug version of Microsoft Visual C++ 10 runtime libraries. I honestly don't have any idea why would it ask for it. I have not packaged any version of dfterm2 with debugging on.

Nelson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2010, 08:15:13 pm »

I have to say thanks for this great program, I use it a lot.

Is there any way I could get a copy where something else is used to switch between windows instead of alt+1, alt+2, and alt+3? I'm trying to play on my android phone but can't find a keyboard that can send those keypresses.

I've been trying to compile it on my own so I could reprogram the bindings but I'm having some trouble getting it to compile, mostly because I don't know what I'm doing.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 09, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »

I have to say thanks for this great program, I use it a lot.

Is there any way I could get a copy where something else is used to switch between windows instead of alt+1, alt+2, and alt+3? I'm trying to play on my android phone but can't find a keyboard that can send those keypresses.

I've been trying to compile it on my own so I could reprogram the bindings but I'm having some trouble getting it to compile, mostly because I don't know what I'm doing.

At the moment the bindings are hard-coded and it's some work to make it configurable. Alternative to pressing alt+something is pressing esc+something, but that doesn't work on dfterm2 at the moment because it doesn't wait after receiving character 27 to see if something else was pressed.

I'll put this on my TODO-list.

cribolouf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2010, 02:05:47 am »

Alright, I feel stupid...after over a week trying to figure out what the problem was...here it is:

Under the executable location in the config...I used dwarff~1.exe (the standard 8x3 parsing of dwarf fortress.exe). Apparently the process is called in two different manners by the code, so although it launches AND responds to input properly with that process name, it will not show graphics.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2010, 02:20:22 am »

Thanks, Adeon. This program looks great!

cribolouf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2010, 01:18:54 pm »

Ok, after getting 0.31.08 running beautifully on the old version, I tried to get 0.31.10 running on the version you released today. I'm getting this error:

2010-07-11 14:15:04 Note: Dwarf Fortress executable checksum calculated to DB942094 (Unknown, can't show the screen)

I looked through the code in the git, and it seems to be set to recognize the db942094 checksum, so not sure what's going on.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46