Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250286 times)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (17/6/2010)
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2010, 05:36:59 am »

I have uploaded the first experimental version of dfterm2.

See the first post for quick guide.

I'm expecting it not to work for many people, but you can always try it.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »

Looks cool but I know it wont work for me.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2010, 12:44:06 pm »

Hey, if anyone's having trouble with dfterm2 and 31.06 where you can't see anything but input works (e.g. I could start the game, then hit up-enter to quit it, blind); I found I had to set DF to PRINT_MODE:STANDARD in init.txt to see anything.

Also, finally, not maintaining games in different versions and trying to remember what the bug differences are, since a good chunk but not all of my playtime comes via ssh. :D

Only wish for the new version: a way to hide everything behind the game window so I can use minimal term dimensions, and/or an 'only' mode that just shows the game window with no trim.

(Hm. I wonder what it would take to support the new dynamic resizing in .06 inside the term box... O_O.)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2010, 01:02:10 pm »

Hey, if anyone's having trouble with dfterm2 and 31.06 where you can't see anything but input works (e.g. I could start the game, then hit up-enter to quit it, blind); I found I had to set DF to PRINT_MODE:STANDARD in init.txt to see anything.

Also, finally, not maintaining games in different versions and trying to remember what the bug differences are, since a good chunk but not all of my playtime comes via ssh. :D

Only wish for the new version: a way to hide everything behind the game window so I can use minimal term dimensions, and/or an 'only' mode that just shows the game window with no trim.

(Hm. I wonder what it would take to support the new dynamic resizing in .06 inside the term box... O_O.)

The TODO-list I maintain inside my brain has an alt+key combination, that will take the currently focused window and enlarge it to entire screen and hides everything else.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm, Dwarf Fortress in a terminal (v0.1.3b - 8/4/2010)
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2010, 01:29:04 pm »

I'm not trying to reinvent dgamelaunch. I really just wanted to play Dwarf Fortress remotely. It is called dfterm, right? I can add support for other games but they are not a priority.
I think you just have :D. This new dfterm is awesome! I'm loving the new interface, so clean and intuitive. A bug I've found is that it doesn't show the main menu screen at all, dwarf fortress does receive input, but nothing shows. Except for that though, it works perfectly.

What does dfterm_configure do? Running it just says its using the database.sqlite3 file. Are we supposed to run it, or does dfterm do so when needed? Never mind, I missed that little tutorial you posted on the first post.

I'm not very familiar with git, so I haven't had a chance to take a peek at the source code. Hopefully you don't mind me asking this question. You say that when using windows it takes the characters from dwarf fortress' memory and displays them on screen. How do you do this? I've been poking around my df folder but didn't find any file having to do with memory or output. Could you please point to this file, or if it isn't a file, what do you do to get the characters?

I love the way the new dfterm is looking, I'm considering running a server of my own with it once its done.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:48:49 pm by ILikePie »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2010, 01:49:07 pm »

I'm not trying to reinvent dgamelaunch. I really just wanted to play Dwarf Fortress remotely. It is called dfterm, right? I can add support for other games but they are not a priority.
I think you just have :D. This new dfterm is awesome! I'm loving the new interface, so clean and intuitive. The whole thing kinda broken at the moment, but it looks incredible, looking forward to a working version.

What does dfterm_configure do? Running it just says its using the database.sqlite3 file. Are we supposed to run it, or does dfterm do so when needed? Never mind, I missed that little tutorial you posted on the first post.

I'm not very familiar with git, so I haven't had a chance to take a peek at the source code. Hopefully you don't mind me asking this question. You say that when using windows it takes the characters from dwarf fortress' memory and displays them on screen. How do you do this? I've been poking around my df folder but didn't find any file having to do with memory or output. Could you please point to this file, or if it isn't a file, what do you do to get the characters?

I love the way the new dfterm is looking, I'm considering running a server of own with it once its done.

I use a debugger and check Baughn's interface code to check how DF versions handle textual data inside memory, and then use memory hacking from dfterm2 to get the symbols. I also inject a DLL to Dwarf Fortress that does some preprocessing and overwrite some Windows API functions while DF is running. It's not simple. If you want to check from source code, the relevant files are slot_dfglue.cc (dfterm2 side handling) and dfterm_injection_glue.cc (injected DLL source code). You can see them from your browser through my gitweb interface here. Click on "tree" and you'll get the files.

I have plans on using DFHack later, but at the moment it does not offer the power to do everything I need to get dfterm2 working.

Some features of dfterm2 overlap with dgamelaunch, but my goals are a bit different. I want dfterm2 to be usable by your average user, you download the package and click on the file that has ".exe" on it and then it just works. Dgamelaunch only works on UNIX-like systems and setting it up is not trivial. Also, while dgl handles low-resource games such as NetHack and DCSS, dfterm2 is designed to handle Dwarf Fortress, which needs a lot more resources, and servers are likely to only allow 2 or 3 games at a time. Most DF players are Windows users and things like community participation while gaming are higher priority, and thus, the chat.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2010, 02:03:37 pm »

I use a debugger and check Baughn's interface code to check how DF versions handle textual data inside memory, and then use memory hacking from dfterm2 to get the symbols. I also inject a DLL to Dwarf Fortress that does some preprocessing and overwrite some Windows API functions while DF is running. It's not simple. If you want to check from source code, the relevant files are slot_dfglue.cc (dfterm2 side handling) and dfterm_injection_glue.cc (injected DLL source code). You can see them from your browser through my gitweb interface here. Click on "tree" and you'll get the files.

That's impressive, and way beyond my understanding of C.
This git stuff is also cool, I thought I had to download the files to view them, like you do with subversion.

I've never tried using dgamelaunch, as I don't use Linux, but I heard its a pain to set up and maintain. Your interface also looks much cleaner than dgl's. Do you by any chance happen to be using curses for that?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:06:13 pm by ILikePie »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2010, 02:11:37 pm »

That's impressive, and way beyond my understanding of C.
This git stuff is also cool, I thought I had to download the files to view them, like you do with subversion.

I've never tried using dgamelaunch, as I don't use Linux, but I heard its a pain to set up and maintain. Your interface also looks much cleaner than dgl's. Do you by any chance happen to be using curses for that?

I don't use curses for dfterm2. Reason being that I don't know how to set up curses as a self-contained specificially ANSI/vt102 library. I use a small terminal emulator library I wrote myself. There's support in the code for curses output in UI code but it's meaningless for dfterm2.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »

Uploaded a slightly updated version. I might update it daily or even several times a day so I won't announce them after this.

Made a little window fix, that may fix blank screens and input problems.

Insidious611

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2010, 06:14:50 pm »

Code as of current won't compile with GCC 4.4 (Standard on debian unstable, soon to be standard on squeeze) due to missing #include <cstdio> and #include <cstring> in logger.cc

Just a heads up, its an easy fix to me but to someone who wants to compile it on linux and doesn't get the internals of the language, it may be a headscratcher.

EDIT: And a question. Is the bit about it not working on linux in build_instructions current? Because if so that seems a little backwards to me considering theres LESS work involved in getting linux support working, the text output is already there.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:16:33 pm by Insidious611 »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 18, 2010, 02:33:33 am »

Code as of current won't compile with GCC 4.4 (Standard on debian unstable, soon to be standard on squeeze) due to missing #include <cstdio> and #include <cstring> in logger.cc

Just a heads up, its an easy fix to me but to someone who wants to compile it on linux and doesn't get the internals of the language, it may be a headscratcher.

EDIT: And a question. Is the bit about it not working on linux in build_instructions current? Because if so that seems a little backwards to me considering theres LESS work involved in getting linux support working, the text output is already there.

Fixed that and updated build_instructions.txt.

It does work on Linux. Right at the moment logging on Linux is broken but it's something I'm fixing today.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2010, 05:16:44 am »

There's now a "semi-official" server provided by Remmon at IP address 195.240.20.117, port 8000.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:15 am »

Edit - Got it working, see edit at bottom.

Hey, never used Putty/dfterm.

Just setup dfterm2 on my desktop upstairs, connected to the port using my laptop downstairs (connected using local ip address 192.168.1.8 ), the right port. I can log in and get to the screen that has the "Game" window, the chat window, the main menu window, and the local players window.  But if I use the main menu do "launch a new game" it won't do anything.  Doing select game to join has "Back to main menu" and "None", clicking none... freezes it? I guess.

What exactly do I have to do on the server after running the config file and starting up the dfterm2 process?  I assume I fire up DF (.31.06) itself, do I need to actually embark first?

Thanks for this and I see it ALMOST working for me.  I've been using Team viewer to play off my desktop (really fast imo) and if I can get this going I'd set it up as public so others can have a decent machine to play with since I never use that machine really and it's pretty reliable.

Thanks!

Edit - I joined Remmon's server and got help from Adeon about this.

Things I did wrong.
  • I forgot the "admin" part on the end of the df_configure call.  You can know you did this is when you log in with an id that should already exist it asks you to submit a new password.  If you're admin you should have an option to configure slots.
  • When I got in and made a slot it wouldn't let me start a game, this is because the working directly exe directory were off.  Because I used quotes, don't use quotes
  • Finally I could connect when using the ip of the computer in-network, but others couldn't, this is because I didn't port-forward on my router.  After I did that it worked.

Hope that helps!

Anyone can also join my open server now at  174.96.253.84 on port 8000.  It's a pretty fast system so if you've only played DF on a slow computer give it a shot and see if it's better. Running badly, trying to fix.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 02:23:51 pm by Mason11987 »

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »

Re-downloaded windows version last night after you announced the update.

Only real problem is that the keybinding screen is about two keys late in updating, so you have to spam useless keys to see what you've actually selected.

All print modes work now, but only STANDARD seems to work particuarly well; the others all felt sluggish.

Two tiny feature requests: clear or mark the game window when the game is disconnected (or bring back the yukkuri-whatsits), and make the main menu return to its prior position or always start at the top since I want to launch much more often than config slots.

(Oh, and a kill df process button would be golden.)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2010, 07:54:22 pm »

There's now a "semi-official" server provided by Remmon at IP address 195.240.20.117, port 8000.

Would friends be able to connect to that and play with me?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46