Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 230699 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: An uneasy stillness [Turn 1]
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 09:48:40 pm »

> invite Aarchan (Kilakan) to practice Alchemy with me
> if he does not accept, practice healing alone

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:56 pm »

practice by creating balls of flame and hitting STONE walls with them.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 09:56:38 pm »

I suppose there's some sort of cultural stigma with animating the undead inside the town. Pity.
I study my necromancy book.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 10:59:41 pm »

Hmm.... I shall help the blacksmiths by carving runes of weakness on the weapons, causing them to weaken anything they strike.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 11:07:00 pm »

hey dragnar, can you inscribe one of them weakening runes on my sword?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 01:13:46 am »

Carve Finesse rune onto one dagger, and figure out what warding runes do.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 04:03:31 am »

I search my Small Book “Index of Runic Spells” for a way to make known spells into runes, in other words a way to make my Stone spell into a Rune of Stone. While I think a Rune of Stone would be useless if I think I know what the spell would do I do want to know the way to convert spells to runes.
As a side action I look around for someone with knowledge on Rune Magic to take me in as an apprentice.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 08:28:04 am »

hey dragnar, can you inscribe one of them weakening runes on my sword?
Sure... might want to wait and see if it has the intended effect first- it might weaken the wielder instead. I'll do yours second, after some random soldier's.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:46 pm »

Dude... there's a difference between a fencing sword and a rapier.

I scout the area, looking for anything that could be of any aid to us.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 03:56:55 pm »

What kind of fencing sword do you want then? Googling "fencing sword" pulls up everything from rapiers to bilbos to tucks. Unless you want a generic fencing sword, which I guess I could give you.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »

Sorry Cheddaris but I need supplies first!

>Search around town, in gardens, ditches, cracks in rocks, ect. for any alchemy ingredients I can find (look first for the ingredients to make a pyredraught)  Use field guide to help identify and find them.

I'm thinking those demon hearts will be a very potent alchemy ingredient, can't wait till they attack!  Oh and since I already know the spell, what does firedraught do, is it like napalm, or do I drink it then breathe fire?
Nom nom nom

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »

Yeah, the idea was generic fencing sword.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 06:33:11 pm »

>Search around town, in gardens, ditches, cracks in rocks, ect. for any alchemy ingredients I can find (look first for the ingredients to make a pyredraught)  Use field guide to help identify and find them.

I'm thinking those demon hearts will be a very potent alchemy ingredient, can't wait till they attack!  Oh and since I already know the spell, what does firedraught do, is it like napalm, or do I drink it then breathe fire?
Pyredraught is essentially self-igniting oil. When the flask shatters, the shock creates a chemical reaction that heats up then ignites the oil in the mixture.

Looks like everyone has posted, so I'll start writing up the turn. I won't require it like in mercenary RTD since I didn't list it in the rules, but it does help me if everyone can bold their actions.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: The March begins. [Turn 2]
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2010, 07:28:00 pm »

The March begins. [Turn 2]

I Presume that they are going to attack the town?

Summon a fire spirit and an air spirit to aid me in whatever my quest will be.
You close your eyes and concentrate on summoning a spirit to aid you. (6+2=8) You slip into unconsciousness, completely attuned to the astral plane while you search for an entity. (Luck 5) You come across a powerful wind elemental, which is intrigued by your presence and follows you back to your plane.

+3 to Summoning
New Spell: Summon Wind Elemental

> invite Aarchan (Kilakan) to practice Alchemy with me
> if he does not accept, practice healing alone
You wander off to practice healing magic so you're prepared for the upcoming battle.  (1+2=3) You can't find a suitable subject to practice healing on, so you decide to practice on yourself. (Luck 2) You stab yourself with a piece of sharp metal, then try and heal it, but the intense pain makes it very difficult to concentrate. 

practice by creating balls of flame and hitting STONE walls with them.
Thinking about getting some practice in, you head over to the archery range and practice against the wall. (6+1=7) Being relatively unskilled, you go overboard and create a giant ball of flame. (Luck 5) Fortunately, you manage to get it under control and cast it at the wall, where is explodes before fading away.

+3 to Elementalism
New Spell: Fireball

I suppose there's some sort of cultural stigma with animating the undead inside the town. Pity.
I study my necromancy book.
Deciding it might not be best to read about necromancy right in front of the preacher, you find a secluded place and begin studying your book. (3+2=5) You read about the connection of souls to the ether, and how to manipulate that connection for your advantage. (Luck 4) You understand these contents fairly well, and develop a new spell with them.

+4 to Necromancy
New Spell: Lifetap

Hmm.... I shall help the blacksmiths by carving runes of weakness on the weapons, causing them to weaken anything they strike.
Wandering around the town, you see a blacksmith working on weapons and decide to help him with your runecrafting. (6+2=8) You start to craft a rune of weakness in one of the blades, which glows a dark gray color for a moment. (Luck 6) When you touch the blade, it saps strength from your body... but it seems that isn't the only thing the rune effected. The rune weakened the blade itself, which shatters when you touch it.

+1 to Runecrafting.

Carve Finesse rune onto one dagger, and figure out what warding runes do.
Thinking to enhance your equipment before the battle, you grab a dagger and work on carving a rune of finesse into the surface. (5+2=7) You successfully carve the rune into the dagger, though you might have taken off more metal than you needed to. (Luck 4) The blade seems to still have some integrity left, though.

+2 to Runecrafting
Item Used: Iron Dagger
Item Gained: Fragile Iron Dagger of Finesse

You recall that a Rune of Warding can be traced on an object or on the ground to weaken opponents who enter the area.

I search my Small Book “Index of Runic Spells” for a way to make known spells into runes, in other words a way to make my Stone spell into a Rune of Stone. While I think a Rune of Stone would be useless if I think I know what the spell would do I do want to know the way to convert spells to runes.
As a side action I look around for someone with knowledge on Rune Magic to take me in as an apprentice.
Side actions are placed in italics.

You begin studying your book, searching for ways to create new runes. (6+2) You find a passage on the differences between runes and spells, which is informative but ultimately doesn't help you. You see no way to directly convert a rune into a spell, as the mechanisms of each are quite different.

+1 to Runecrafting

You are unable to find an experienced mentor to teach you. It seems most of the city is composed of soldiers and citizens, not mages.

I scout the area, looking for anything that could be of any aid to us.
You look around, trying to find anything useful. (Luck 1) You find absolutely nothing of interest.

You begin looking around for some supplies. (5) You find the quartermaster standing by the stockroom, and ask him if he has any alchemical supplies to help the troops. (Luck 6) He mistakenly thinks you're making healing potions, and gives you what you ask for since he believes it will help the troops.
-----

Suddenly one of the watch towers rings the bell. The demons have started advancing on the city! The stillness immediately turns to a bustle as soldiers rush to man the walls and civilians hurry to get out of the way. Everyone should finish up their preparations next turn.

-----
Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alexander(ExKirby) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:13:25 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2010, 07:32:56 pm »

Cast Cure Minor Wounds my arm
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:22:23 pm by Cheddarius »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 120