Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Jack's mind. "Panopticum".  (Read 15190 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's mind. "Panopticum".
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »

"Officer!"
"Huh? What was that?"
"I am in your head now."
"What!?"
"Don't be worried, I am here to help."
"OK..."
"Or send you to your doom if necessary to help named people."
"What!!?"
"Nothing, now shut up and sit back I am taking over this gravy train!"
"No!"
"Wait!"
"I"
"Have"
"A"
"Name!"
"Igor!"

Most likely non-cannon.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 07, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »

Great work, RNG. I say thanks!

My original intent is to build a world with this adventure, and then use it for group RPGs. Meanwhile I build my own simple system because I would like the game to has simple mechanics which do not distract from the events too much (but allow some powergaming and interesting "builds").

Your work helps a lot.

Also I see you've added Jack in the Gray. Good find.

I also see that you've added some "learning" bonus... What is it?
Currently Insight is an ability to see through the things around you, i.e. to break an illusion or to determine an origin of an object. What is this learning?
You're welcome  :)

Is Insight different from Investigation? If so, Learning could be changed to Insight. My thoughts behind it was when the player encounters something new or unexpected, they learn more from it and are better prepared for next time. I don't know if you're going to include magic or not(there was magic in Arkham Horror) were Learning would give a bonus to magic in the same way Damage gives a bonus to melee. I sort of intended the Willpower line to by psychic(when we get access to it) and the intelligence line to be magic(if we get access to it).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:29:04 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2010, 05:32:24 pm »

I will try not to make it into a giggling bandwagon though. I think at some point I will have to split groups, it can even help the investigation.

Anyway I am going to bed, you plan levels and talk to each other, and I appear in the morning (in 8 or 9 hours) with a drawn map of the city, because we will need it.

RNG:
No, it isn't different. There're just four stats. Simple like that.

Also there is no magic, but there is mystery. It means that there're unnatural things going on, and with time you will be able to participate in this theatre. Also most strange things will be caused by specific objects (read: artifacts) or events. And even in Arkham Horror there was little to no difference between magic spells and items, so I guess gameplay-wise it's ok.

About stats and "magic"... Well. Insight will help you to maintain your connection to the reality and stay concerned, while Will will allow you to get loose without going crazy and to resist negative effects of the surroundings and strange events (which should be many).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:42:42 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »

I call third ally.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 07, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »

RNG:
No, it isn't different. There're just four stats. Simple like that.

Also there is no magic, but there is mystery. It means that there're unnatural things going on, and with time you will be able to participate in this theatre. Also most strange things will be caused by specific objects (read: artifacts) or events. And even in Arkham Horror there was little to no difference between magic spells and items, so I guess gameplay-wise it's ok.

About stats and "magic"... Well. Insight will help you to maintain your connection to the reality and stay concerned, while Will will allow you to get loose without going crazy and to resist negative effects of the surroundings and strange events (which should be many).
Alright, well let's just make it give either +1 or +2 insight then, depending on how you want to balance it.

Also, I call anyone who is a professor/researcher/student, regardless of the order they come in.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2010, 06:04:38 pm »

What about a librarian?

Any way as you see, it comes slowly. I still waste a lot of time on it, to the point when I start to make my wife VERY angry. I hope you're OK with the pace, I like to imagine the situation slowly. I could make some quick script really fast and run you through it, but I enjoy the process of step-by-step advancement, so you have to live in the Jack's head for a while.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2010, 06:36:46 pm »

What about a librarian?
That works too. I'm after any scholarly type.

Any way as you see, it comes slowly. I still waste a lot of time on it, to the point when I start to make my wife VERY angry. I hope you're OK with the pace, I like to imagine the situation slowly. I could make some quick script really fast and run you through it, but I enjoy the process of step-by-step advancement, so you have to live in the Jack's head for a while.
That's fine, thought I would like to continue with the story soon. I wonder if Igor will let us go into the apartment now.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »

I think he would, with the bleeding wounds on his throat he needs some bandages, also he actually doesn't know what did he guard, he was just said to. Anyway, in next chapter.

Also it's up to Criptfeind now. When he's around between updates. If not, I will guide him as NPC.

Anyway  I will count the suggestions on the feat in the morning. Jack is our collective character and he needs some votes and a final roll of some dice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:45:12 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2010, 06:53:50 pm »

"Huh what buh... what was that?"

Says the cop as more blood trickles out of his wounds.

He is in a state of mild shock, I don't think he his going to try to stop you for a bit.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »

>Take care of the cops wounds.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:05 pm »

I was going to say put the knife away, pick the roses back up, and investigate Anna's apartment...

But I guess healing the guy that's bleeding to death is a more pressing concern.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 07, 2010, 07:11:41 pm »

The cop will help with the trying to save his own life.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 07, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »

I was going to say put the knife away, pick the roses back up, and investigate Anna's apartment...

But I guess healing the guy that's bleeding to death is a more pressing concern.
Sorry that I still don't sleep (grabbed a Master or Orion mod for civilization 4 :P) but I wanted to say that nothing stops you from tending his wounds with a clean water and towels in Anna's apartment, so I think both suggestions go along nicely.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 07, 2010, 08:13:29 pm »

Posting to say I would like to stay and be a bit of brain.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 07, 2010, 08:37:39 pm »

Posting to keep track. And if I have to, I wanna be his inner child.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17