Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What's with the Microcline hate?  (Read 14868 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's with the Microcline hate?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 03:19:55 pm »

Also microcline has that magical ability to be on every map in every possible location. It's like it knows.

Personally I love Olivine, the dark green color is my favorite and I actually made the whole outdoor level of my fort out of it. Microcline, orthoclase, and alunite are ok if you want a color that will stand out against the regular gray, but I don't like getting the deposits in places where I was planning on putting large rooms it makes an ugly shape right in the middle of things that I would like to be more uniform.

If cinnibar were in large clusters, had no useful metals in it, and popped up everytime you try to dig between point A and point B... I wouldn't like it much either.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 03:23:05 pm »

I'm guessing the hate for Olivine is lessend by the small clusters of Native Platinum you find in it or is dark green less offensive on the eyes than light blue or yellow?
Dark green isn't a colour normally found in packs of highlighters. If it were garnierite-green, then there'd probably be more complaints. But the presence of valuble stone helps too -- I modded microcline and orthoclase to be the only sources of the rocks that allow me to make my obligatory supersteel alloy, so I don't mind the stuff now. That and it makes workshops made of it easy to spot.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 03:26:13 pm »

I've modded Microcline to be bright magenta, since it makes a weird purple-blue blend colour when it finds cyan in a tileset. I agree with the weird shapes in the middle of large rooms, though, but manually paving it over works, I suppose.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »

Actually, cinnibar does that for me...  Orthoclase clumps are actually large enough that I simply have an entire room that's cyan.  Cinnibar just all of a sudden makes my residential district cut in half with red stone.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 03:38:26 pm »

The thing about Olivine is that its presence doesn't preclude the existence of more useful ores - specifically platinum.

Plus it's a pleasant color and a great substitute for green glass on sandless maps.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 03:42:47 pm »

Cinnibar just all of a sudden makes my residential district cut in half with red stone

Does that mean it's the red-light district?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 04:24:34 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:38:20 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 04:44:33 pm »

The only use I've thought of for microcline so far is if you're making some kind of massive picture or pattern and need light blue for it. That or making big pillars of the stuff outside your fortress to blind incoming goblins, but then you need to station your soldiers nearby so they get used to it.

Luckily I haven't hit much of the stuff for some reason. Got tons of one of those yellow stones beginning with O, though.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 05:40:15 pm »

Ever since I got a mod that lets any stone get turned into a bed, I've had no problems with useless rock

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 05:52:58 pm »

The only use I've thought of for microcline so far is if you're making some kind of massive picture or pattern and need light blue for it. That or making big pillars of the stuff outside your fortress to blind incoming goblins, but then you need to station your soldiers nearby so they get used to it.

Luckily I haven't hit much of the stuff for some reason. Got tons of one of those yellow stones beginning with O, though.

Orthoclase.  They're both (orthoclase and microcline) feldspars, and feldspars are the most common kind of mineral in the earth's crust... so yeah.

I actually went and made a large dining hall for my dwarves, where one row of tables and chairs were orthoclase, another was microcline, another was mica, another was granite, another marble, and finally green glass.

I like to think that they have parties at given tables, or possibly even get into cliques where they exclude others, like some kind of high school dramafest.  (Pfft, like we'd let a wood cutter eat with us craftsdwarves!)  Judging by where all the bones are laying, however, they all seem to love the microcline and mica tables, however, probably just because they are in the top left section.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

You've struck Olivine!
You've struck Microcline!
You've struck Orthoclase!
You've struck Olivine!
You've struck Olivine!
You've struck Olivine!

Then sometimes they don't mention when they hit clusters of gems.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 06:37:35 pm »

Actually, my favorite is when they announce hitting THE EXACT SAME MINERAL VEIN TWICE!

If a vein like cinnibar is "V" shaped, and you dig horizontally, you'll get two seperate messages within a couple seconds of each other with legendary miners.

Worse, you dig out seperate stairwells for vertical fortress design, and you'll be digging into the same cluster of mica four or five times, because each time you dig a stairwell through that mica, it tells you all over again.  Worse, when there's a mica cluster over another mica cluster, the VERY NEXT STONE will bring another YOU HAVE STRUCK MICA! notification.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 06:51:09 pm »

I make my trade depot out of Microcline. I like to think that it blinds the traders, giving me a better deal :)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »

I didn't read this thread but I'll chime in anyway as usual. Microcline is a nice replacement for ice when you want something icy-looking but which doesn't melt in contact with magma. That said, every map contains far more microcline than anyone could ever want, the same is true of orthoclase and alunite. Whether this is in keeping with the real world or not doesn't matter to me... I want more diversity, and I don't want all the nodes and veins to be aligned along a 48x48 grid which can only contain one such thing. Because it's always fucking microcline, alunite, or orthoclase. :(

Correction: Occasionally it's olivine.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 07:05:38 am »

I make my trade depot out of Microcline. I like to think that it blinds the traders, giving me a better deal :)
I normally make pretty much everything I don't want or need colour coded out of Obsidian blocks just for the higher values over other stone but in my current fort I made my depot out of Pitchblende blocks. Was thinking about using Kaolinite but I couldn't resist a lurid purple depot (I use Mike Maydays Graphical pack).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6