Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What's with the Microcline hate?  (Read 14865 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What's with the Microcline hate?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 01:10:04 am »

I actually have about three times as much mica as microcline, though...

And mica doesn't even look any different from all the rhyolite I'm swimming in.

I do like to make my kitchens out of mica, just to imagine that it makes it more high-class, though...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 02:45:33 am »

Well really, microcline is just a stand-in for all the unremarkable stone clusters that you strike every 30 seconds.  Also, its common, found just about everywhere and so bright blue its silly (srsly, rocks that arent white, grey, black or brown are called gems :P ). 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 03:03:52 am »

Real life microcline is a lot less bright, with a small exception for some of it.(Which is a soft light blue)

I am ok with microcline, I'm fine with the bright teal, I'm not happy that my miners decide it's more important I know they found it then watching the goblin invasion.

That kind of goes for all 'special' rocks, I'm looking at you two now, Alunite and Orthoclase.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 04:05:10 am »

Make it into crafts and send it to the elves, and they will give you... bins and bins and bins of rope reed cloth..?

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 06:05:58 am »

Other than "You have struck Microcline" all to frequently and the fact it isn't something more useful I like microcline. It's fun to hoard it into a vault and make temples dedicated to the worship of microcline.

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 07:00:53 am »

This color can get annoying!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And, like others said, a lot of...
"You have struck Microcline!"
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 07:26:30 am »

My eyes! They bleed!

I only like the damn stuff for color coding levers/doors/etc.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:42 am »

I actualy ended up modding all the colors to be a bit "softer", so now microline is a nice pale sky blue and rather pleasing to look at. Tho I do hate getting the you have struck microline message every 5 seconds when digging. But soon that'll change. *nods*
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 10:42:47 am »

Big, you're probably putting it closer to it's natural color.

Real Microcline:
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 11:12:58 am »

What's with all the threads bitching about the long established forum jokes?

Seriously.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 11:25:30 am »

I like the color and about the only time I have had trouble with it was in a white sand desert where the top 5 layers of stone on the cliff I dug into was Microcline and Orthoclase
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 12:46:57 pm »

I don't mind coloured stone types like Microcline & Orthoclase so much especially when they're in the areas where I'm building the standard dwarves bedrooms as I like to think the dwarves get to choose between standard dark grey, light blue, yellow, dark green etc walls in their rooms.

I'm guessing the hate for Olivine is lessend by the small clusters of Native Platinum you find in it or is dark green less offensive on the eyes than light blue or yellow?

Personally I hate stuff like Alunite, Mica, Talc & Jet more as they're the same colour as Obsidian and/or Flux Stone, worth 2 or 3 times less & you still get an irritating pause & zoom when your miners find them.

Seriously.

Because not everyone has been here for years reading the long established forum jokes to know there are long established forum jokes?
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 02:01:42 pm »

Wow, I just launched a large, throbbing, projectile of blood from my eyes because of your post, so thanks for that.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 02:27:31 pm »

I only object to it because a cluster of microcline means no useful metal; otherwise, the color's not too bad, and that blue makes it useful for color-coding which levers control water-flow.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »

Seriously.

Because not everyone has been here for years reading the long established forum jokes to know there are long established forum jokes?

In his defense, I'm fairly new, myself, but I could figure that one out.

Just as someone else posted about how he got killed by fish that weren't even carp... but have basically all the same traits as carp... sometimes, things get famous just because they were the (un)lucky items that got memed, even when there were things more deserving.

I still hate talc and mica more than microcline, though.  I like the different colors, and I also change my color wheel (you pretty much have to if you want to see the blue, especially with a tileset that has transparancy).  Plus, while I don't mind having a row of tables in my dining hall be microcline, or have a light blue-green chest, I'm not forcing my dwarves to have chalk or talc cabinets - think of how messy and powdery that would be!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6