Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: The Development Game(Era I: The Tribe)  (Read 25043 times)

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Development Game(Era I: The Tribe)
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »

Guess we're nomadic now?  :-\

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2010, 07:54:54 pm »

Hurry for a nomadic lifestyle!

I agree that we should gather up everything we can and move north.
The gatherers should spend their remaining AP gathering berries in the new hex.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2010, 08:20:56 pm »

I think the problem was that we were thinking that there was inexhaustible resources per hex. Also we don't know if the praying is working, there is probably a a big random element or a lot of modifiers we don't know of, or both. also we have always been nomadic, we have just not been moving a lot.

I vote the hunters hunt and than everyone else moves up one square and the gatherers gather.

Also I think earlier we were talking about how long the turns are? and how to solve the baby problem? We can abstract it to like a year or six mouths a turn or even many years like hundreds or thousands at first(this would explain why we are advancing so fast.) Just greatly increase the size of each hex and say the population remains semi constant, each person could even represent a group of people, it does not matter because it is abstracted away.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2010, 08:53:07 pm »

Yes, one handful of berries is known to last a man for years on end. :P

Anyway, I agree with Criptfiend's idea! I formally propose the following:
The gatherers in C7 move north, taking as much as they can, then gather
The council members and children in C7 move north, taking as much as they can and praying to Hakis The Graceful for bountiful game
The hunters in C7 move north, taking as much as they can, then hunt
The hunters in C3 hunt both turns.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2010, 08:59:46 pm »

Well. You know, we're really running low on food almost constantly here. Before I thought that if we could just get a bunch of food in, we could work on other things. But that hasn't happened. We're always on our toes - the moment we get comfortable, we run out of food and have to pack up and leave. So how can we fix this? Can we dedicate some labor to increasing food efficiency or something? Here are some ideas I have, could you guys please give your criticism, suggestions, etc.?
1. We build hoes in our spare time and try agriculture (as with babies, it'll depend on RNG being kind enough to shorten growth to a few turns)
2. We build animal traps, so that we can move nomadically in a circle and get lots of food for every move (if we have enough traps)
3. We try our hand at fishing
4. We make nets from wood, leather, plant fibers, etc. and stretch them across the river, getting tons of fish

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »

Yes, one handful of berries is known to last a man for years on end. :P

Anyway, I agree with Criptfiend's idea! I formally propose the following:
The gatherers in C7 move north, taking as much as they can, then gather
The council members and children in C7 move north, taking as much as they can and praying to Hakis The Graceful for bountiful game
The hunters in C7 move north, taking as much as they can, then hunt
The hunters in C3 hunt both turns.

1. We build hoes in our spare time and try agriculture (as with babies, it'll depend on RNG being kind enough to shorten growth to a few turns)

The "handful" would be called a unit or whatever, that is why we would extend the size of a hex, to represent the entire land area needed to have enough berries to feed a group of people for a year or whatever. the increase in size does not matter because they have all [whatever] to move though it.

Also I think that number one is the best idea, after all it is probably the most sustainable and RNG has been dropping hints as to really that is what we are suppose to do. Perhaps we can send off a group of gathers with enough food for a while (if we can get that much) to set up a farm on the plains to the south.

Also I vote that we introduce a new god to the people Feratha the Sun god and god of fire god of gods. For surely fire is the most powerful element of all it light the night and cooks the food, it scares the animals and gives us, the chosen children, power over all.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2010, 09:32:04 pm »

Yes, yes, 'twas a jest.

Hah, I knew Criptfiend would be into hoes! :D (Another joke, indeed)
Anyway, I think we should have a farm on the fertile river soil, but not in the forest - let's say D8? We can go north, make some hoes, clean the place out, then go southwest. And then when we get there we can send 3 or 4 gatherers south to experiment?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »

It's not really the invention of tools that will bring us farming, those just improve efficiency. What we need to do is spend time figuring out which plants have the best ratio of growth rate to food produced, and scatter as many seeds as possible around an area.

Also I vote that we introduce a new god to the people Feratha the Sun god and god of fire god of gods. For surely fire is the most powerful element of all it light the night and cooks the food, it scares the animals and gives us, the chosen children, power over all.

I support the belief in a god who considers lighting our enemies on fire to be a form of worship.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2010, 09:39:09 pm »

Isn't there just one kind of plant? Known as Berrius generica?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »

RNG, what are you using to do this?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »

Berrius generica?

I Laughed out loud.

It's not really the invention of tools that will bring us farming, those just improve efficiency. What we need to do is spend time figuring out which plants have the best ratio of growth rate to food produced, and scatter as many seeds as possible around an area.

Well who knows what we need to do, after all we did bury some seeds and nothing came of it, I think the thing to do is experiment for all we are worth.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »

Personally, I like the fishing net idea. There's also something called a fishing weir, which is a trap. The most basic is like a grate made out of sticks to keep fish in one part of the river.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »

(as with babies, it'll depend on RNG being kind enough to shorten growth to a few turns)
???

Isn't there just one kind of plant? Known as Berrius generica?
No.

RNG, what are you using to do this?
???

The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2010, 10:47:57 pm »

Time... is tricky. I have not yet figured out exactly how it will work. Each turn will take up the same amount of time, and your estimate, 8 hours, is a good one for how long most tasks can be completed in. However, I hope that this tribe will grow at some point, so unless newborns transform into adults in a week, that won't work.

I think some have taken this to mean that babies will grow faster than is logical.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2010, 10:56:52 pm »

RNG, can you tell us how long it will take, in turns, in general, to grow the kind of plant we have access to growing now?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25