Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Author Topic: Ex Cathedra [BMIX]: Sunrise  (Read 96588 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia IX, Day Four: Brutality and Resonance
« Reply #555 on: March 25, 2010, 10:35:30 am »

For the sake of trying to draw this to a conclusion, I'll vote quinnr. If there isn't a hammer, then I've got the right guy!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 25, 2010, 11:09:53 am »

Wait, what's this talk about a hammer?

I'm not scum, although I haven't really scum hunted the whole game.

Also, why did you think Glyph was scummy? Any paticular reasons?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

Suddenly, activity! We've been looking for your insight for a little over a week... asking and asking. No substance, but an "I forgot about this game for the entire time", no help with lynch suggestions, etc. The moment I vote you, though, you pop up to save your skin, with no suspicions of your own, just to say you're not scum, and try to see if I can be persuaded to vote Glyph instead.

** Protip: If you are scum, as I suspect, the best thing to do right now would be to vote me, and hope that Glyph goes for me instead of you. Convince him that I'm scum, that sort of thing. Or you could just pull a WIFOM and go for Glyph, but then he'll probably gun for you too.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:53 am »

Non-Edit: The "hammer" is the last vote needed to lynch a player. If Glyph were a scum player, since I was voting for you, all he'd need to do is vote for you too, and seal his victory. If I don't get a hammer vote from Glyph, then I know you're the scum.

Of course, if Glyph does hammer, then I lose. It's not such a useful test right now, but in other circumstances it can be.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 25, 2010, 11:32:20 am »

I'm not trying to persuade you to vote Glyph, I was just wondering why you thought Glyph was scummier before.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:24 am »

I'm not trying to persuade you to vote Glyph, I was just wondering why you thought Glyph was scummier before.
That's a lie, quinnr.

There's three outcomes here:
1) You are scum, and you need to lynch someone other than you and win the game.
2) GlyphGryph is scum, and you need to convince Solifuge to vote for GlyphGryph.
3) Solifuge is scum, and you need to convince GlyphGryph to vote for Solifuge.

This isn't a game where you just sit back and win. You need to do things. Convince people. No matter which situation is true, you HAVE to convince someone to vote for the other, or they HAVE to convince you. But, you have to actually play in order to win either way.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 25, 2010, 12:28:08 pm »

Of course, if he's scum I need to hammer him too.

Okay, lets do the analysis of Quinnr and Solifuge:

Quinnr:
Day one points at Org (no vote). Lurky lurky. Siquo votes Quinnr for lurking. Ignores Siquo, Siquo drops the issue quietly and changes vote. Says Org is suspicious and votes him.

Then says "I agree with Siquo" about his vote for Org. Does attack Org on his own though.

Solifuge:
Votes SirBayer, gets right to hunting. Gets in tiff with Org over what is/is not an RV. Discussion with Quinnr about Org. Goes Lurky. Then shows up just to shorten the day and get the Org lynch.
Goes on to say he's voting Org even though he thinks Org will flip town.
Mentions Siquo as maybe town, but points out he jumped on Org with no reasoning.
Changes to Rolan at Orgs request, says "Org is right". Doing stuff like that is generally scummy. Siquo follows.

Conclusion: Null - If anything, Solifuge seems a bit more scummy and doesn't interact with Siquo at all (either direction) and just mentions him once. The bandwagon on Org (and Siquo's dissassociating leap off last minute) is pretty suspicious though.

Day 2:
Quinnr
Day starts, Siquo jumps on SirBayer... and a little later Quinnr joins him. This seems familiar... Hops of SirBayer when people pressure him over, but doesn't vote anyone else. Extends after request - seems to be trying to act "good" and deflect suspicion by doing what people want. Scummy scum.
Attacks HFS, goes on about how good a scumhunter Siquo is and says how he totally agrees with him again.
Siquo has a point, actually.
He has been an excellent scumhunter the entire game, and I can see where he is coming from.
SirBayer points out the obvious buddying, Quinnr denies it and starts to attack SirBayer but without voting.

Solifuge
Mostly does nothing. Halmie makes point that he is avoiding bandwagons, but he defends the case well. Lurks a bit. Voting HFS and pushing Quinnr.Hunting.
Siquo then blues him, and starts applying pressure.

Conclusion: Quinnr. God does Quinnr look scummy today. But he's almost too obvious. Solifuge spends the day lying low, avoiding attention. It was Siquo's attack and his few scumhunts that protect him.

Day 3
Quinnr:
Siquo votes HFS. Then Quinnr votes HFS... NOW THIS IS FAMILIAR! Third time, Siquo starts bandwagon Quinnr hops on. Siquo then turns and votes him after some others point this out. When webadict/HFS points out he doesn't really use any reasoning, he puts some gentle pressure on Quinnr and says he does. Quinnr responds by defending Siquo's vote on him and saying it was good.
Then Siquo votes Quinnr after webadict puts even more pressure on quinnr. Actually does some hunting work.
Says Siquo and Web are town, but that he doesn't know who the scum is.

Why would you vote quinnr? How is he suspicious? Got any quotes?
Siquo's vote was fully justified...I have been seemingly 'bandwagoning'
Siquo, the new charger is working good, thanks.
Doesn't try to defend himself, doesn't attack anyone either. But unvotes webadict. Starts getting heavy pressure.
Siquo then revises to say that Quinnr is not most likely scum (thats solifuge/jaaswb) but that he is second most likely. The middle spot scum like to put scumbuddies.
Quinnr doesnt respond, Siquo drops the issue.

Solifuge:
Completely absent most of it, going to get replaced by new solifuge. Siquo says he is most likely scum. Sol. replaces in.

And that brings us up to late yesterday, which I already analyzed.

Conclusion: Quinnr. So scum. So obvscum. And as soon as Siquo realized it he started top vote him to get webadict off his own back. And Quinnr was okay with it! He accepted it! Late day evidence is a huge hit against Solifuge being scum, so...

-----

I'm ready to make my vote.
Quinnr

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 25, 2010, 01:38:11 pm »

Well, that's it! Day is over! Whoo, victory!

GlyphGryph lights Solifuge on fire.

Victory bonfire! Whoo!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 25, 2010, 01:38:58 pm »

He realizes he could have lit up the corpse instead, but shrugs. Then decides to do that too.

Wooh, double victory bonfire!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2010, 01:40:04 pm »

"They killed Quinnr the Prince the next day," Pandarsenic says flatly.  "It was over.  He hadn't done anything more than the rest of them, but they strangled him to death anyhow--or did they just lock him in the catacombs?  I don't remember."

He shrugs.

"He might still be there, for all I know.  It doesn't matter."

"I thought he found the snow melted and left," says Dakarian.  "Or was that Solifuge the Gardener?  I can't remember.  Do you know what happened, Pandarsenic?"

"I won," he said, grinding his teeth.  "That was what happened."

"And yet I wasn't exiled," says Dakarian.  "And neither were you.  That must have happened for a reason."

"Nothing happens for a reason," says Pandarsenic.  "Have you been listening to what you said?  Was there any reason behind any of it?  Was there any sense to it?  No, of course not.  They were cruel, and they died, and that was that.  You didn't have the good grace to follow up on your bet, and so you traipsed after me like a dog, whining for mile after godforsaken mile--"

"And you slew GlyphGryph the Wanderer once you were done with him and he had gone about lighting every candle in the cathedral.  Why did he do that?  For that matter, why did you do that?  I still remember his trusting eyes as you drew your sword, your faces beaded with sweat and thrown into such relief by the sea of candles.  The blade shimmered.  You smiled at him, put your hand on his shoulder, ruffled his red hair, and then--"

"And you herded Solifuge the Gardener out the door in the dead of night, as GlyphGryph searched for him, his hands trembling.  You whispered his ear and filled his hands with coin, telling him to find a horse and run away forever.  He searched your face with those old green eyes.  He could not trust you.  But your eyes filled with tears, and he was deluded again, and followed you as you cheated me--"

"Only because you had corrupted those good men beyond all repair, and I wanted to save the last--"

"Enough," says Aureliusz Vektor.  "That is enough."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 02:53:39 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beginner's Mafia IX: Sunrise
« Reply #566 on: March 26, 2010, 02:29:46 am »

"So it ended," Pandarsenic says.  They sit there for a moment, the weight of the tale blanketing all of them.  Aureliusz Vektor realizes that he has been weeping silently for some time, and wipes his eyes with the back of his snowburnt hand.  His tears glisten in the lamplight, and he feels a child again under the penetrating gaze of Le Chevalier du Glas.  He remembers crying when he found Anna dead, great gasping sobs that ached in the winter air and chilled his guts.  He cried to feel so empty.  He cried to feel so relieved, and for being late, and for being on time.  He cried for his freedom and he cried for his chains, wanting nothing more than to put them on again.

Then darkness folded on his heart, and fear.  He buried her quietly.  He said she was visiting relatives, hiding his tears behind wooden words.  He locked the doors of his heart.  He ran.

"Why are you crying?" asks Dakarian, not unkindly.  "Our story has a happy ending, if you know how to look."

He wonders briefly if it is time to speak, or if he would do better to walk out of the room, bundle himself in Anna's quilt, and walk away forever.  Teetering on that precipice, he remembers how it felt to run.  He remembers the chill that seeped into his bones and the nights when tears froze his eyelashes shut, the only crystal baubles he ever owned.  He remembers the distrusting looks men gave him, angry to be reminded of the possibility of poverty.  He remembers his painful ribs protruding from his narrow flesh, and sleepless nights as he taught himself to read and write.  He remembers the days when he trudged to church every day, and yet did not feel absolved; he remembers mourning and, at last, waking one day without Anna immediately on his mind.  He breathed in the warm spring air, and sighed, and smiled, and finally cried again of sheer joy.

He remembers all this, and weighs it.

"I do not know why I cry," he says at last, and it is true.  "There is a lot of things to cry about.  I could cry because the end was bad.  I could cry because your story was not worth its weight in ale, and you did drink more than that already.  I could cry because tomorrow, you will be gone and I will be telling fairy tales to unhappy men again.

"Or maybe," he continues, "I am sad for you that you did this thing."

"Or maybe," says Pandarsenic, "you are sad for yourself and your memories of guilt.  You know what you did, Aureliusz Vektor, as well as I do.  You cannot run from it.  You cannot hide.  You cannot escape judgment for your sins and follies any more than another man.  Face yourself, Aureliusz Vektor, and know what you are!"

"Is this what you came for?" he says, suddenly weary.  He wipes his eyes.  "To bring me shame?  I know what I did.  I know what man I am.  Now I know what man you are, as well, and I am sad for you."

"No," says Pandarsenic, "you are just sad for yourself."

"Maybe," says Aureliusz Vektor.  "Maybe I see and hear you, and I am sad for me and what I did.  Maybe I am a selfish man, like other men, and I am not sad for you.

"But young, sad man, there is no way to know the difference.  Maybe it does not matter so much who I am and the thing I did.  Maybe it matters to hear what I say and feel what you feel, not to know the truth in anything."

"You are weak, Aureliusz Vektor.  You cannot face reality, can you?  You cannot face yourself.  You cannot face your deeds.  You cannot even look humanity as a whole in the eye, to see their rotting morality and broken hearts.  You cannot see the cruelty beyond yourself, or the despair that turns young men into bent old trees, or the horrors wreaked on one man by another.  You are blind and deaf, but only by your own will; you would willingly shove hot needles in your eyes in order not to see!"

"And you?" Vektor says, turning to Sir Dakarian of Pane.  "What do you say?"

He closes his tired eyes a moment and says simply this:

"I am here to observe."

"And you?" Vektor says, turning to Pandarsenic, le Chevalier du Glas.  "Why did you come?  I know you are not here to drink ale and tell sad tales.  So why?"

Pandarsenic's anger is palpable, but he grimaces and says:

"I am here to lead.

"And you, Aureliusz Vektor?  What are you doing in this mess?  Are you here to repent?  Are you here to drown yourself?  Do you fancy yourself a do-gooder or a great man?"

Aureliusz Vektor looks on their gaunt and haggard faces, Dakarian's tinged by sleep.  He can hear birds outside, their reckless twitter and cheep as they swoop on the seed he has left for them.  He smells the flames that have burned too long in his fireplace and senses his own exhaustion, yet knows that he will need to buy bread at the market and ale from the brewery all the same.  His pack will bite into his broad shoulders as he walks through the streets, and some will know him and smile.  His boots will leave tracks through the snow, big gray crevices through which the children will run to make their way easier--and then the snow will fall, white and cold and pure, and erase his footprints so other men may carve their own paths.

He looks at them, and says:

"I am here to live."

"It's clear we won't get through to him," Dakarian says quietly.  "Come along, Pandarsenic.  It will be dawn, soon."

"I wish I could open his eyes," says Pandarsenic.

"I know," says Dakarian, and they stand up from their stools, coughing and shuffling, readjusting their clothing and checking their sword belts.  They shake the needles from their legs and smooth back their tousled hair--and then they walk away, boots falling heavily on Vektor's wooden floor.  As Pandarsenic opens the door, Dakarian looks back over his shoulder, eyes glinting in the firelight.  As a rush of freezing air flows into the tavern, the English knight winks so quickly that Vektor is not certain it has occurred--and then they leave, with nothing but the empty ale tankards and the barkeep's reddened eyes to mark their passage.

He sighs, and smiles, and wipes the counter down as the day dawns cold.

My profound thanks to my readers, for sticking with me so long.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:33:23 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a flaker, and the game is over
« Reply #567 on: April 01, 2010, 02:10:33 am »

I'm not finishing this.  Earlier this night, I thought I would--but there's a reasonable probability that I may be leaving the forums.  Or not.  I don't know.  In any case, I can't finish this, and I'm sorry.

The mafia won.  Congratulations.

EDIT: HAHAHAHHAAH IT'S VECTOR FROM THE FUTURE!  IT'S DONE, JUST LIKE I PROMISED!  AH-HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:24:13 pm by Vector »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 01, 2010, 02:29:42 am »

Ergo, I told ya.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 01, 2010, 02:30:41 am »

Ergo, I told ya.

Good for you.  I just broke up with my boyfriend.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44