Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water wheel will not activate.  (Read 5699 times)

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
Water wheel will not activate.
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:05:37 pm »

I am having difficulties getting the water wheel in the upper right of the image to work. There is good flow through the water, an entire creek to be honest. The water wheel is connected to a gear assembly, and has only empty space beneath it, then the water 1 z-level down.
I am using the LL mod in DF 40d16, IIRC.

Thanks,
 --DDR

Spoiler: "-Engraving-" (click to show/hide)
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Water wheel will not activate.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:09:47 pm »

While there should technically be no reason why your waterwheel isn't working, waterwheels can be finicky about that sort of thing and work when you think they shouldn't and not work when you think they should.

Try rebuilding the water wheel. Try pumping out some water from beneath or nearby the waterwheel. Try draining a little bit of water beneath the wheel.

Those are the only suggestions I can think of at this time.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:44:01 pm »

I tried that. :)
It didn't work. :(
Thanks, though.
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:55:31 pm »

Erm, AFAIK, waterwheels must be constructed directly on the water flow, not one z level above, to work. The waterwheel isn't working because its not touching the water at all.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:03:26 pm »

Waterwheels work correctly if placed directly above a flowing body of water in the direction of the flow, they don't have to be submerged (I'm not even sure if they would work if they were completely submerged in water).

See: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Water_Wheel

As for the OP's problem, I think the issue here is the submerged hallway that branches off as soon as the water flow reaches the wheel. It's breaking up the current causing eddies and turbulence, and not allowing for a constant flow of water under all three tiles at once.

EDIT: Clarification
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:05:24 pm by Desiderium »

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 08:05:22 pm »

Consider putting a screw pump near the water wheel. Even if the water 'powering' the wheel is being eternally fed by an infinite water source you may need to simulate some 'flow' to get the thing working.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »

@Desiderium
Erm, thats exactly what I said, what I see from OP's pic is that the waterwheel is one level above the surface of the water. Note there doesn't seem to be any water flowing on the waterwheel level.

Either that or my monitor is way too dark, because I don't see any water flowing close to the water wheel, at all.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »

Erm, thats exactly what I said, what I see from OP's pic is that the waterwheel is one level above the surface of the water. Not there doesn't seem to be any water flowing on the waterwheel level.

Your monitor is too dark, yes. If there was a gap between the waterwheel and the surface of the water, there would be no dark blue 7s next to the wheel. Instead, there would be two blue dots with darker blue backgrounds, and the water on the second picture would be a dark blue 7, not the lighter blue it is.

EDIT: After looking at the picture a few times and then my game, I must admit, the numbers are very dark, and difficult to see.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:12:14 pm by Desiderium »

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:23:34 pm »

Oh man, I've struggled with this stuff for ages. I'm kind of the reigning DF water expert and waterwheels are a mystery to me. I still can't predict what kinds of power plants will and won't work. I try to stick to building the wheels directly in the river when I can because that seems to be the most reliable way to do it. I've also gotten pretty good at making them work in channels carved into aquifer. Artificial aqueducts are pretty much unpredictable.

Turn your water flow off and back on again; try doing it both upstream and downstream of the wheel. Try throwing a bucket of water into your water source from a couple z-levels up.

By the way, whether it works has almost nothing to do with whether water is flowing. Often, closing the drainage downstream of the wheel will cause the power to turn on and stay on permanently with no further water movement.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »

Aye, the water looked pretty dark to me aswell, so I guess I just assumed it was one Z level above the surface.

It looks like you put the waterwheel in a junction in the flow though, try putting it elsewhere, see if it works. If it doesn't, then
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 09:32:02 pm »

Turn off SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS and verify that the water in that channel is actually "flowing" (that is, alternating between ~ and ≈).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 09:49:39 pm »

Why are you using a gear there?

Personally I'm no expert but it is just "so easy" to dig a reservoir,
wwww
w.ff.w
wf..fw
wwww
w=wall, .-channel, f=floor
put a screw pump on the two adjacent floor tiles ("f") and the water wheel over the f..f
If it doesn't work all by iteslf.. pump the screw pump for 5 seconds and it will!
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 03:03:12 pm »

Why are you using a gear there?
Machinery can only be built hanging (ie.  completely over empty space) if it's connected to machinery that's sitting stably on the ground. Since waterwheels have to be built completely over empty space to work, they therefore have to be attached to a stable piece of machinery.

Personally I'm no expert but it is just "so easy" to dig a reservoir,
Expertise won't help you here! But seriously though, pumps are useful for kickstarting flow. If all else fails one can take the save back to a 40d game and use Tweak, but it's so much better to get it working yourself.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:06:14 am »

It looks like the water wheel is sitting in a little pool thats connected to water thats flowing.  The flowing/not flowing code is very strange, but I think it probly exists to prevent you from doing that, more or less.  Try connecting the other side of the waterwheel pool to the water flow.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 11:47:15 am »

For me it looks like the branch of the artificial river breaks the waterflow creating a turbulence. I

Also, are you sure there's a flow at all? Before rebuilding the thing, try to pump some water with a pump?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2