Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Water wheel will not activate.  (Read 5697 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Water wheel will not activate.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 01:59:01 am »

Maybe it's the creek that's the problem, and you might need to channel out the "top of creek" floor?  Just throwing it out there, I could well be wrong.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
Re: Water wheel will not activate.
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 02:41:44 am »

The wheel was in the main flow of water... I put the gear down in the water there as I just had to see if a water wheel *in* the water would work. It didn't, but I never got around to removing the gear. I tried to futz around with the water wheel a bit more, but... it was stubborn.

The project turned into a blessing, however. I revisited my fort in adventure mode (A steel colossus is NOT 'good training' for the troops.) and, having recently filled up my new 'Water Lock Entrance', I was unable to get in. To get water to the entrance, a good three z-levels above the water wheel, I opted for the windmill/overland route. My adventurer climbs up the water tower, then jumps down into the thing and breaks his leg, arm, most of his hand, and wounds his upper body and head. Ow. He then swam down into the fortress plumbing, and managed to crawl into the dry pipes left vacant by the water wheel failure. Blacking out every several steps, my adventurer manages to find and pull the correct (!) levers to drain the entrance. My mistakes are turning out so happily today. Kind of.

Thanks for the help! That was fun. :)

PS: I loathe water wheels, but I think that 'show flow' thing will help a lot.
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.
Pages: 1 [2]