Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How do Breatharians exist?!?!  (Read 5720 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: How do Breatharians exist?!?!
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 01:29:55 am »

Breatharian Institute of America
Yes, that's right. They charge you one million bucks to live on air.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 01:42:59 am »

I like these people. They're utter morons, certainly, but my God do they have balls.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 03:20:46 am »

Why must people rely on religion more than science!@

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 03:29:02 am »

Why must people rely on religion more than science!@
It called the perfect solution fallacy. science does not have all the answer, therefore it is wrong

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:39 am »

Nah, even science knows that a theory that covers more is better than a theory that covers less. (newton vs einstein for example). So a belief that has more answers is better than one with less. Science, by definition, has a very limited subset of answers to possible questions, which makes it a rather limited and (IMHO) degenerate form of belief.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 06:27:43 am »

Nah, even science knows that a theory that covers more is better than a theory that covers less. (newton vs einstein for example). So a belief that has more answers is better than one with less. Science, by definition, has a very limited subset of answers to possible questions, which makes it a rather limited and (IMHO) degenerate form of belief.

Wait, what?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 06:49:52 am »

How can science be a belief? oO

It cant answer any value judgment, only offer information on them.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 07:09:55 am »

It's not a belief.

Are you a conservative christian creationist?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 07:32:32 am »

Many people "believe" in science as having the only "true" answers to the world around us.
They are often not versed in philosophy and the basics that define "science", or they wouldn't.

I am not a creationist. It is, however, very much possible that an all-powerful being created the whole universe 10 seconds ago, with everything in it, including you and all your memories. Science cannot prove or disprove that. Therefore it is not science. People who believe that the previous hypothesis is nonsense and false because it is scientifically unproveable are people who believe in science.

Definition time: Even nihilists and relativists believe in something. Belief is your whole frame of reference of what is "true". With that definition of "belief", science can be a belief.

Edit: There is nothing wrong with believing in science, or with any belief, I just found it inadequate to my personal needs.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 07:40:05 am »

Many people "believe" in science as having the only "true" answers to the world around us.
They are often not versed in philosophy and the basics that define "science", or they wouldn't.

I am not a creationist. It is, however, very much possible that an all-powerful being created the whole universe 10 seconds ago, with everything in it, including you and all your memories. Science cannot prove or disprove that. Therefore it is not science. People who believe that the previous hypothesis is nonsense and false because it is scientifically unproveable are people who believe in science.

Definition time: Even nihilists and relativists believe in something. Belief is your whole frame of reference of what is "true". With that definition of "belief", science can be a belief.

Edit: There is nothing wrong with believing in science, or with any belief, I just found it inadequate to my personal needs.

I disagree, beliefs can be wrong both factually and morally. In this thread, Breatharianism is a wrong belief, because its factually absurd.

Second, determining the plausibility of a hypotheses based on whats currently known is science and not a belief but it is being open minded.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 07:49:35 am »

Your definition of "factual", and "moral" is not shared by everyone else in the world.

Your "facts" and "morals" are determined by your "belief". The existence of God is a fact for a christian, for instance. Thinking your "facts" are better than their "facts" makes you closed-minded, not open minded.

Determining the plausibility of a hypothesis based on what is currently known is philosophy, not science specific.
To name another subset of philosophy, in theology they also test hypotheses based on what is known, but the procedures, dogmas and axioms are different.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 08:17:15 am »

Your definition of "factual", and "moral" is not shared by everyone else in the world.

Your "facts" and "morals" are determined by your "belief". The existence of God is a fact for a christian, for instance. Thinking your "facts" are better than their "facts" makes you closed-minded, not open minded.

Determining the plausibility of a hypothesis based on what is currently known is philosophy, not science specific.
To name another subset of philosophy, in theology they also test hypotheses based on what is known, but the procedures, dogmas and axioms are different.

No, facts cannot be changed based on one belief. One can believe in none factual things. No matter a person belief, a proton will always be composed of three quarks. Belief does not trump Empiricism. Please note that I use it in the context of scientific inquiry.

Morals can have subsets of additional values that arise from cultural backing and belief but there is a core morality of human spieces as sociology is discovering, that crosses ages, race, and country cultural barriers. Thusly, moral can be used as a finite word.

Believing in something hard enough does not turn something into a fact. It can be acted on as if it is a fact. This is a key subtle difference.

No, determining plausibility is a wholly mathematical process and as such not philosophical. Therefore it is a tool that can be used by science, my original premise was misstated, excuse me.

In theology, the procedures are baseless and lack rigor for authentication of its conclusion, its a poor analogy.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 09:55:39 am »

You should study the history of science, it didn't fall out of thin air. It's a subset of philosophy, as is theology (which is a lot older). Theology is indeed baseless when viewed from a scientific viewpoint, but so is science viewed from a theological viewpoint.

You still use "fact" from the science-belief paradigm. You believe a proton is composed of three quarks. Science itself does not even believe that. It's the current most plausible theory, which can be altered by new observations at any time. So the "fact" as defined by science is pretty variable.

Not accepting that your definition of fact is exactly that: your definition of fact, makes you rather closed-minded. It's understandable, I've been there for a long time as well, but defining your reality as the only true one is usually viewed as "zealous".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 01:05:06 pm »

Yay semantics!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2010, 01:22:07 pm »

No, they don't.  They conjecture and reason but they never test, largely because they make untestable claims.  This is precisely why the scientific community finds religion largely incredible (hence the prevalence of atheism among scientists).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5