Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How do Breatharians exist?!?!  (Read 5726 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
How do Breatharians exist?!?!
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:36:03 am »

Holy smokes, guys, how is this even possible? You'd think "I can live without eating or drinking" would be the most easily falsifiable hypothesis ever, yet people stubbornly insist that they can and fail to die. What's up?!

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Re: How do Breatharians exist?!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:39:47 am »

They are trying to trick the rest of us into starving to death.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:40:20 am »

Generally, the people spreading it are full of shit and the ones who actually try it end up dead. There is currently no medically recorded instance of someone actually living this lifestyle and surviving. Most refuse to submit themselves to science and claim it is 'irrelevant.'

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:46:52 am »

Shouldn't there be news reports of hundreds of people dropping like flies all the time, then?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:58:41 am »

Shouldn't there be news reports of hundreds of people dropping like flies all the time, then?

You are highly over estimating th number of people stupid enough to try this, and keep going when they start starving.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:10:16 am »

Well, then reports of people endangered by Breatharianism, anyway? Shouldn't spreading Breatharianism be outlawed? It's practically encouraging people to commit suicide!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:53 am »

No one is that stupid.

No one has enough willpower to not eat until they die from hunger, even if they wanted to.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:15:23 am »

Google/Wikipedia yields reports of 4 who died from Breatharianism. Maybe they got so weak that they couldn't reach food, or became delirious and thought they weren't hungry or something.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 01:16:19 am »

Eh, there have been successful hunger strikes before, but that's a bit different.

I can also see someone falling for this if it's done in a cultish enough manner, and breaks the person down enough psychologically, but not just under normal circumstances.

But yeah, generally speaking, the reason you don't hear about this is because the people prescribing the lifestyle are totally full of shit themselves, and the people who try it likely just wind up lasting for a few days and then eating again.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:28 am »

Yeah. It's just.... it irks me that Breatharianism still exists, you know? Granted, it doesn't have a large following, but it's the 21st century! Idiotic Breatharian-style cultism should be wiped out!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 01:18:29 am »

Obviously they aren't strict-breatharians.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 01:25:02 am »

I guess this means you guys won't be joining my Internetarian cult?  :(

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:00 am »

What is this!? The only religion is that of the holy God Emperor!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:00 am »

They exist because it draws attention to them as somehow 'special'. It's the same reason psychics, exorcists, otherkin, spoon-benders, and Kanye West exist. They claim to be able to do things that other people can't, and there are always people gullible enough to believe them but too weak-willed to make the effort to examine their claims closely.

The people who vindicate these people see bent spoons, and want to believe they were bent with a mind. Some of them try to claim they can too because they want a chunk of the popularity, and the cycle repeats.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:41:39 am »

Yes, these people are completely fucked in the head, and come in two flavors.  Idiotic people who make shit up to feel/appear special, and even more idiotic people who believe them and try to emulate their magic powers.  There are a lot fewer of either than even mentioning them might make it appear.

And if you're going to invent fantastic abilities, not needing to eat is the best they could come up with?  I mean, I've gotten as far as osmosis, but Breatharianism is simultaneously ridiculous and really lame.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5