Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12154 times)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 11:06:52 am »

Doom and Duke Nukem 64 or whatever its name was

GOD DAMMIT. STUPID FLYING EYEBALLS GO AWAY ARGGH

and Fear 1 freaked me out quite.

Doom 3 was rather scary (first time trying it was around 00.00 alone in the winter super dark only might computer screen and the first enemy i met a car flashed its headlights into my room. MEH.)
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 12:16:32 pm »

I was 12 when i played half life 2 on release. Parents were hosting a party so i used that opportunity to spend the entire evening playing. About 10:30 i reached the chopper battle. Was awesome. Because i was young and sucked at the game, it took me untill after dark to defeat it and get through black mesa east. Then I get to Ravenholm.

Fucking poison headcrabs still creep me out.
I was playing the demo at the time, but the poison headcrabs were annoying, but the first time you're introduced to those fast zombies. Damn. And after you kill them and look at them in detail (face and body). Yeowch! Wouldn't want to be those things.

In regards to other games, Doom II (first time I played a Doom game) wasn't too bad, until the first time I decided to cheat and check out the last level as well as the bonus levels. Cyber demons weren't too bad, but first time seeing this huge monster, makes you even more creeped out figuring just what that thing may look like beneath that shield, as well as just the sheer scale of it; and the ending description makes it more terrifying to the scale of it. If the Cyberdemon was defined as a skyscraper with a rocket launcher, this thing would be a city spewing out it's citizens at you.

This Huge Beast
Doesn't help that you also get sdrawkcab speech, and noclip into it's head reveals the creator's head on a spike.
Head of John Romero

I learned my lesson there.

EDIT:
Hotlinking issues. :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:28:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:08 pm »

Oh, Shodan. Shodan was creepy as hell and still... I kinda fell in love with her...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, from Creature Shock, there were these large, blue maggots. They.... laughed... while they crept invisibly towards you. Sounded like a kookaburra. I still get shivers when I hear a kookaburra laugh, and look to see if there's any of those maggots around. Maggots with metal teeth.

Ah found them...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2010, 12:26:40 pm »

Considering they're similar to each other, imagine if "John Romero" and Shodan got together... Shudder.

That'll be a terrifying crossover.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:10 pm »

being facehugged on AVP 1.
on AVP 1 the aliens were so frikkin fast, and whn u got facehugged, unlike on avp 2 or HL there was no warning just this thing in ur face and u could see your self flying backwards between its legs. I nearly bricked my self the first time that happend, ever since id get behind my incinerator.

Also first 3d game i played was Tombraider 1 (i think), the raptors and the T rex on that used to put me on edge
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 12:38:59 pm »

The wookies in Shadows of the Empire.  At first I didn't know you could kill them, so I just ran, and you could hear them behind you.  The whole thing worked me up into a terrified frenzy.
Shoes...

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

The final boss of Wario Land 3. When I got to him and got game over'd by him, the first thing I did was going upstairs and hiding the game so thoroughly I still cannot find it. The thing was a pair of eyes in the dark, but got revealed to be a giant monster clown or something.

And then I got a nightmare in the following night.

Just to add insult to injury, Armok's avatar is unsettlingly similar to the "eyes" form of it, altho the eyes were white instead of red.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 12:45:10 pm »

the undead in the Thief games, the zombies in particular

I'd come to a corner and hear "something" shambling around in the darkness and I would'nt want to go any further. I was stuck on the second mission (first game) for a while.

As an adult though, the ghosts seem a bit cooler and creepier
they sound a bunch of voices whispering and muttering to each other, until you know they just heard you: "WHAT!"

Also its awesome that you can sneak past the undead

The butcher from Diablo and Gnolls from Baldur's gate got plenty of my friends scared, though the later wasn't so tough.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:48:43 pm by Os Q »
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 01:14:14 pm »

Oh right system shock 2 i still get the creps for the game
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »

No mention of Ecco the Dolphin yet, eh?

Not sure if it was the lack of ambient light (a lot of the game was dark), the ominous musical score, the enemies that seem to attack from nowhere, or the fact that everytime ecco took a little damage, he shrieked like he was being gutted alive.

Even now, more than 10 years later, I still can't beat it, even though I've got it on my PS2 now.

The worst part: I love the game. Absolutely. Great story, I love dolphins, beautiful graphics, the game is awesome. And horrific. Every once in a while I get it out and flog my inner child until I can't stand it anymore.

I have a feeling that endless ocean game would be more of the same.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 02:37:13 pm »

As an adult though, the ghosts seem a bit cooler and creepier
they sound a bunch of voices whispering and muttering to each other, until you know they just heard you: "WHAT!"

Ghosts were scary as hell. But Hammar Haunts were even worse. Jingling chain mail and this constant whispering:

"...flames nothing but flames eating your flesh..."

and, of course

"...join us join us join us NOW!!!"

Then the realization that the monster is almost indestructible (without Constantine's sword) and, to make matter worse, quicker than Garret. And this laughter...

Everything Eric Brosius touched seems to be at least scary, if not shit-squeezing. The first Builder's Child creeped me out somewhat bad. Not even mentioning the entire System Shock 2.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 02:48:18 pm »

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 02:55:39 pm »

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 03:00:07 pm »

The entire game.
Beautifully well done game though. At least in artwork.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 03:00:34 pm »

Redeads and Wallmasters.

Watching my auntie play RE1.  She stepped on something, then slowly spasmed to death.  Ffffuuuu-

The ruined overworld in Glover.

Piked heads in Mace.

The slime monsters in Quest 64.

Not a game, I guess, but those computer aliens, from Sesame Street.

...I am a wimp.

(EDIT: 
The entire game.
DDD:)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:10:08 pm by Farce »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12