Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12133 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 08:13:51 am »

In Mario 64, in the part where you had to go underwater. I have such a phobia around drowning and suffocation it's not funny, and what made it worse was that things were LIVING in that body of water!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 08:19:20 am »

Doom. Walking in pitch blackness, seeing nothing ahead of you and simply hearing those snarls and growls in the distance.

Among less subtle things - Rise of the Triad game over screen freaked me out the first time I saw it. Isle of the Dead was pretty unsettling in general - despite being cartoony, it was bloody as heck and instead of a game over screen, it had a game over animation where the protagonist got ripped to shreds and eaten by the undead. Not to mention even quitting the game gave you an animation of the protagonist shotgunning himself in the head. These things were sort of nightmare-inducing when I was 6-8. :S

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 08:29:02 am »

No mention of Cinnabar Mansion from pokemon R/G/B/Y? I played that for the first time in the gloom late at night and was seriously feaking out as I read the journal entries and everything. Also when I played the HL2 demo Ravenholme scared the bejezus out of me; when I came back a few years later having bought the orange box it didn't seems as scary, yes it was atmospheric but not in the pants wettingly bowelvoiding way it had been when I was younger.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 08:40:25 am »

Let me see. Doom didn't really bother me

-Dinosaur Safari... with the underwater sections freeked me out
-Lands of Lore Guardian of Destiny had a part where if you went into the pond/lake no matter what form you were, you would be eaten by a fish.
-Phantasmagoria (for obvious reasons)
-Circle of Blood (Broken Sword) for the first death that came out of nowhere.
-7th Guest (For obvious reasons)

Though this doesn't count... Endless Ocean series entirely creeps me out. I will never play that game.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 08:48:37 am »

Also, even younger, those hands that sent you back to the start of the dungeon in the original Zelda. Wallmasters? Or something? They were both creepy and frustrating, a deadly combination.

These.
Also, I dont even remember the game, but you got a close up of a guy wearing a metal... cage on his head, keeping his eyelids open a la ... Nevermind, just saw the spacequest video.

I entirely forgot about space quest, but the image of those eyes has been burnt into my retinas for many years now.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 08:52:54 am »

Out of This World, an SNES game. I borrowed it from a friend one time, and the few minutes I played were more then enough. It starts off with button mashing to get out of a pool before a giant squid tentacle grabs you and pulls you under. As if that wasn't bad enough, you had to run past it a few times (With the tentacle popping up each time) while jumping over worms that are instantly fatal and while running past a hungry giant panther.

Not all that bad in retrospect, and probably not as bad as my memory makes it seem, but the drains in pools scared me for a few years after that.

Also, Wallmasters. I hated the thought of getting pulled out of dungeons.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 08:54:34 am »

I've been playing since around 1985 and there are only two things that scared me when it comes to videogames:

1) Parents telling me to turn off the nintendo and do my homework.

2) Years later: Everything in System Shock 2.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 09:11:00 am »

Showing my age, because I have to go back a bit to get to the kid bit.

Night Stalker on the Intellivision.

Not immersive in the 3d FPS sense, but the sense of claustrophobia was immense.

A basic fixed maze, with a number of monsters wandering around.  You had a gun, with 6 bullets.  When it was empty, another one appeared somewhere else on the map.

The monsters basically wandered radomly - spiders and bats etc.  But there was one dalek type robot.  Which got meaner as time passed - more armour, guns to shoot, then it started following you.

Then it went invisible.

As far as I know, impossible to win, as in, there is  no last level.  So you cannot escape, you can only live a little longer.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 09:23:01 am »

Oh, jeez, Ravenholm.
The first time I played through HL2, I managed to play right into terrifying situations twice there.
First: Near the beginning, standing in a doorway. "Huh, what's that mewling sound off in the distance? ...Is it some kind of cat? ...Hm, is it getting closer?" And then I turn around and a headcrab zombie is two inches away right behind me.
I had to stop playing for a while.

Second: Holy hell, the fast zombies in general, but the first time I encountered one I decided to fire an exploding can at it, reasonably assuming that would kill it. Nope. Instead it tore up the side of the building and leapt on me while screaming and on fire.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 10:16:47 am »

ReDead and Floormasters from OoT; Luigi's Mansion; this one scene in OoT. Dear god it was awful. I only ever came by it by accident.

So I went to the Happy Mask Shop and bought a mask, yeah? And then I went out and sold it. I came back later, and he wanted his payment... but I had forgotten to bring any; I think I spent it in the meanwhile. He started screaming at me and his eyes glowed red. It was horrible as a child, though now it just seems sort of dumb.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 10:23:02 am »

THESE BASTARDS!

Not only did the game have such a limited field of vision thanks to fog making it technically possible, but these things had a scream that always let you know they were there. And they spat fireballs at you.

They made me not want to play this game. And as a kid I never saw the bees, but if I did I'm sure I would have proceeded to shat myself.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 10:26:22 am »

Oh, and Mr.Resetti from Animal Crossing.

I used to reset the machine just to make him mad. But when he pretended to delete your savefile and make you start again...

Dear god...

I died for a few seconds.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 10:38:32 am »

The "losing" song from SimFarm. I don't know why. I wasn't scared of the skeletons in Prince of Persia or the splatter from Lemmings, but SimFarm creeped me out.

Oh, and as a teenager: Those damn tentaculats (sp?) in X-Com 2. I thought my heart stopped for a few seconds when one just popped out from the shadows in an enemy base.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12