Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655749 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3765 on: November 07, 2014, 06:14:32 pm »

I ride a horse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: November 07, 2014, 06:16:48 pm »

I ride a horse.

I like the feel of infantry combat better, even though its not strictly optimal.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: November 07, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »

The only good way to deal with being outnumbered is by not being outnumbered in the first place.  Pretty sure there's no good way to handle getting mobbed.  A shield and a horse are very helpful, however - your best shot is to retreat towards allies, and remember not to get greedy and fall into the same situation in the future.

Dealing with numbers re: multiplayer, you can sometimes get a hit in if you're engaged with two or more dudes at a time.  If you're very obviously focused on one enemy, and another is trying to get a hit in while you're seemingly distracted, if you spin and swipe at that guy instead just as he's about to hit you, you can usually catch them when they're not expecting to have to defend.  Changing targets is a good way to deal some damage and keep the enemies back, but being engaged with that many dudes at once is nevertheless probably gonna end bad for you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: November 07, 2014, 08:17:01 pm »

I ride a horse.
This is how I usually deal with it, but once you are surrounded then the problem of getting mobbed arise again.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: November 08, 2014, 02:05:17 pm »

it's been a while since i played, but one strategy that worked for me was to run backwards while swinging a long pole armed weapon.  i think great axe was the one i used.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: November 08, 2014, 02:17:04 pm »

Yes, once your horse get killed and you're stuck on foot, you'll attract the attention of a very lot of enemies usually, moving backward while striking your weapon repeatedly so far (unless you cheat or play mods with overpowered characters/weapons like the barbarian class in Blood&Steel) is the only way to realistically have a chance to survive this kind of situation, as you're not only going to face 2 or 3 guys at the same time but a lot more and even a shield can be destroyed after some hits.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: November 08, 2014, 08:45:52 pm »

What about fighting Cavalry-heavy armies such as the Sarrhanids? I'm quite certain putting some shields between you and the horses can do wonders in that, but I play most of my melee characters in freelancer so that is not an option. Backpedalling in that case will only  take you further from the cloud of allies that keep you secure and you can't backpedal faster than a bunch of horses anyway.
The result is me getting screwed up royally as horses come from all sides and their riders poke/slash me to death. Not before dehorsing or decaptating a few dudes, but still dead in the end.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:11:21 pm by Uristides »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: November 08, 2014, 08:56:03 pm »

I tend to find that the best way to deal with mass-cav armies is to take all your infantry and use the stand closer command until they all form a huge blob of bodies. While one or two may die to couched lance charges, the giant mass of men tends to overwhelm the cav really quickly.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: November 08, 2014, 09:26:45 pm »

The Rhodoks infantrymen are designed to be anti-cavalry iirc.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: November 09, 2014, 05:47:44 am »

One thing I wish I could work out...
My PC is 10 times better then it was a few years ago, yet it still can't handle more then 40 guys smashing into eachother...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: November 09, 2014, 06:05:07 am »

How's your graphic settings? In the past I've usually had most problems with shadows, turning them lower or even off could help.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: November 09, 2014, 06:40:36 am »

How's your graphic settings? In the past I've usually had most problems with shadows, turning them lower or even off could help.
Thats what I mean, my graphic's card is 10000x better then what it was in the past yet it still can't handle it. That and my processor and such as well. But maybe I will turn them off next time...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: November 09, 2014, 08:35:59 am »

The only good way to deal with being outnumbered is by not being outnumbered in the first place.  Pretty sure there's no good way to handle getting mobbed.  A shield and a horse are very helpful, however - your best shot is to retreat towards allies, and remember not to get greedy and fall into the same situation in the future.

You have to learn how to deal with superior numbers if you plan to play this game within a reasonable time frame.

If you handle your skill points well you can deal with vast numbers of enemies fairly decently.

As for a horse and shield... what you want to do is circle the enemies until they weaken their ranks. You want to pick enemies off, not dive into their numbers. Avoid them if they have any form of ranged attack.

Funny enough I am MUCH better at the original Mount and Blade because your attacks are a LOT more clear and telegraphed so I was able to cut swaths through enemies with even a sword... Versus Warlords where I am lucky if I hit an enemy after my 5th pass by with ANY weapon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: November 09, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »

The Rhodoks infantrymen are designed to be anti-cavalry iirc.
Well, they should be anyway, until you wonder why Rhodok McSpearman over there is carrying a hand axe.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: November 09, 2014, 06:00:08 pm »

I've found that Huscarls deal with cavalry charges well.  Simply because they have heavy shields and armor, so the enemy charges in and fails to kill anyone with the initial charge.  Then as is inevitable with AI cavalry charges half of them get stuck on the defender's ranks while other half runs past them, and the ones who were left behind get swarmed.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 310