Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657164 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2400 on: June 17, 2012, 07:02:13 pm »

Is it just me, or is the PoP battle AI really, really dumb?

It's pretty dumb, yeah. One of the ways I win battles while grossly outnumbered is tying up the enemy cavalry with my own cavalry and watching them get shot to death.

And the infantry die in droves.

Archers are awesome that way.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:35 pm »

Archers win wars, I once had an almost entirely archer army (with a melee retinue for my protection) and a destroyed an entirely cav army (sarrinids ofc)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 17, 2012, 08:01:39 pm »

My khergit archers do wonders when facing against nords. If they get too close I just order my men to ride back a little.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 18, 2012, 02:59:11 am »

Is it just me, or is the PoP battle AI really, really dumb?

It's pretty dumb, yeah. One of the ways I win battles while grossly outnumbered is tying up the enemy cavalry with my own cavalry and watching them get shot to death.

And the infantry die in droves.

Archers are awesome that way.
We are currently trying to fix that with the VI (is a Bug Tester for PoP) Atm though tbh we are doing better Textures. Just got a huge set of updates... sigh, seems like they want to take up all my Net Time just downloading these updates...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 19, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »

Necromancy!

Did anyone else know that the Floris mod now has the ability to let you enlist as a soldier in a lord's army. You'd be exactly like one of the soldiers hired into your army, with promotions depending on exp and pay grade and you basically are autopiloted around. It's quite entertaining since now the *much better* AI (which you need to turn on for some reason) will direct all the troops and you only need to follow your allies around. You get uniforms and equipment. Relationship boosts, etc.

Later you can betray your lord and get your fellow soldiers to join you, or you can desert and run away with your equipment then get chased by manhunters, things like that.

I had a lot of fun sieging castles as a single soldier trying to look out for himself while following orders.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 19, 2012, 06:47:05 pm »

What a fantastic feature. That sounds exactly like the kind of thing that would make the early game less of a pain.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 19, 2012, 06:49:10 pm »

What a fantastic feature. That sounds exactly like the kind of thing that would make the early game less of a pain.

It depends. If this is a development of the Freelancer mod, it's usually only helpful during a wartime period. If not, you kind of just sit there.

(then again, that IS how it goes for the soldiers in those lords' armies, so...)
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 19, 2012, 07:04:33 pm »

You don't actually have to do anything since the game will automove for you, but yeah if you're not at war or your lord doesn't like to follow the army around then it's going to be dull (though you still get loads of money).

Thankfully, lack of war is not particularly common in Mount and Blade. If you join any Swadian army you're bound to be constantly fighting stuff.

I was in a Sarranid army myself and got promoted all the way to Mamluke at which point I deserted with the awesome warhorse and all the super heavy platemail.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 19, 2012, 07:06:29 pm »

It depends. If this is a development of the Freelancer mod, it's usually only helpful during a wartime period. If not, you kind of just sit there.

(then again, that IS how it goes for the soldiers in those lords' armies, so...)

Its called free cash, my friend why do you think during peace time armies in real life are still quite large.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 19, 2012, 07:12:03 pm »

Its called free cash, my friend why do you think during peace time armies in real life are still quite large.

Because in real life standing armies are practical due to having a government budget behind them (this is also why post-Marius Rome managed to have large standing armies), whereas in the pseudo-time period where M&B is set, you'd have to re-raise an army every time wartime was over (elsewise you'd have some rapidly depleting coffers).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:05 pm »

So what exactly is it about Floris Expanded that's making everyone tougher to kill? The swing animations seem slightly different, but opponents seem a lot more aggressive as well. Seriously, I have plenty of polearms skill and agility and I'm getting my ass handed to me by the peasants in the "train a village to fight" mission. It's embarrassing.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 22, 2012, 11:08:51 pm »

That's probably the improved fight AI. Floris doesn't seem to have the more effective armor introduced by mods like Prophesy of Pendor, but it does have dudes that fight well.

I actually really like the new swing animations, so much so that I copied them across all my mods.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »

I guess I'm going to have to spend several hours at a training field to before I can become the murder machine I was in vanilla.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 23, 2012, 04:30:37 am »

I believe Floris also upped the skill level of all characters across the board for the most part.

This is very obvious in tournaments when you realize you can't for the life of you defeat Kenau-s. What with their insane weapon skills. So I wouldn't be surprised if early on, the peasants have higher weapon skills than you do.

The big change this implies is that they all attack faster.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 23, 2012, 05:43:17 am »

I guess I'm going to have to spend several hours at a training field to before I can become the murder machine I was in vanilla.
Your doing it wrong. Go to Arenas and join the Melee. Get exp and cash. Heck if you win. There is that nice amount if cash and exp for ya. love geting the bow in arena. 85% chance of compleate victory. Loss only when everyone gangs up on you...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 310