Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657132 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2355 on: May 25, 2012, 09:02:52 pm »

I've found that the large-battle AI can be rather quirky with the 10-pace advances and will sometimes ignore you if you are alone; after I set my crossbow and huscarl lines, I typically rush out and kill the horses of all the lancers, then pull as many enemies as I can in a big kite so my lines can kill the rest.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2356 on: May 25, 2012, 10:26:15 pm »

Running out and distracting the enemy is the best way to win a battle. I shoot down any cavalry the enemy might have, my archers nail their infantry in the back as they ineffectively point their shields at me, their archers are busy trying to hit me, and my infantry clean up the stragglers.

It's cheap, but I rarely lose even low level mooks in battles I can manage it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 27, 2012, 01:03:19 am »

There's currently a three-way war. It's the Nords (my faction) v the Khergits and Rhodoks, who are at war also. It's been Nord v Khergit for at least 50 days now and Nord v Rhodok for 15-20. This should be entertaining.

Bah. We just made peace with the Rhodoks. The war between us was picking up steam, too!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:06:10 am by Jacob/Lee »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 27, 2012, 01:11:34 am »

Running out and distracting the enemy is the best way to win a battle. I shoot down any cavalry the enemy might have, my archers nail their infantry in the back as they ineffectively point their shields at me, their archers are busy trying to hit me, and my infantry clean up the stragglers.

It's cheap, but I rarely lose even low level mooks in battles I can manage it.

This, so much. I've gotten to the point where my army's k/d ratio is absolutely obscene: 65 kills, 0 deaths; 87 kills, 2 injuries; etc.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 27, 2012, 02:29:44 am »

I FUCKED UP Sanjar Khan's army of 432. A bunch of screenies during and after the battle:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At first I thought I was attacking a caravan. I attacked them and when the battle started: "Why am I gaining 21 renown for this battle? Why do I have -10 advantage?"

Then I saw 135 horsemen charging me.

"Oh shit."

The best parts? When I started the battle I had only 15 huscarls at my command. I killed 3 waves' worth of horsemen before I finally got backup. Sometimes I had my soldiers form lines but usually they were charging random enemies, which caused surprisingly few casualties. It's hilarious because Khergits almost fight better on foot!

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 27, 2012, 09:56:04 am »

I decided to try M&B:WB again lately.

Could anyone suggest me some good mods?
Preferably with crafting.

I already have Freelancer 1.5 and Native Expansion but i'm looking for something different.

Get Blood and Steel. Oh the sheer hilarity of cannons...
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 27, 2012, 12:28:54 pm »

I FUCKED UP Sanjar Khan's army of 432. A bunch of screenies during and after the battle:

To be honest, you sort of got lucky.  They only had 11 lancers.  And with the multiple waves, it is unlikely that you faced them all at once.  While most of Khergit troops suck, lancers can really mess thing up.  I'm guessing the lancers accounted for the majority of your deaths.

But good job all the same!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 27, 2012, 12:35:59 pm »

To be honest, you sort of got lucky.  They only had 11 lancers.  And with the multiple waves, it is unlikely that you faced them all at once.  While most of Khergit troops suck, lancers can really mess thing up.  I'm guessing the lancers accounted for the majority of your deaths.

But good job all the same!
That caused at least my first death. The soldiers were lined up and ready to fight, holding their ground against the oncoming wave of horses... Then BAM! Instadeath from a lancer. He promptly got hacked down by the remaining huscarls and the battle continued.

Also, Jeremus has 6 ranks in surgery. About 25% of all deaths will be KO's instead.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 27, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »

I've found the best way to beat khergits is to charge them, shield raised and have them all surround you. Sure, they'll beat on you, but they can't do shit without the lances and it'll give your troops a chance to cut their way into them.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 27, 2012, 03:02:02 pm »

Agreed, getting lancers to bunch up is by far the easiest way to deal with them.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:57 pm »

I founded a new kingdom, The Confederation of Cheese. We own Derchios Castle (likely to be lost soon), our capitol Khudan, and some Khergit castle (likely to be lost soon). It is ruled by "High Churner Jacob"

Since we split from the Nords we are at war with them. Our first strike is me beating up some caravans. As soon as the Confederation was founded 2 lords defected and joined, a few hours later another joined.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:20 am »

All but 1-2 of my own vassals will get super pissed if I give a fief to anyone but them. It isn't rare for most of my vassals to be at "Hateful" and lower. Nobody seems to care who gets to be the marshall, though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 30, 2012, 02:03:02 am »

Yeah that's the way it is when you're king, I guess it's to add "challenge". I usually just check who's getting the most votes and throw them the fief. Generally it's the people who either deserve it or have little to no-fiefs.
I suppose it's possible to "optimise" your kingdoms by getting lords with the right personalities although that'll take a while to build up via stealing lords from other kings.

Maybe one day I'll try having a very small yet loyal amount of subjects who own a large amount of fiefs and see if they can field a larger, better army and if they're able to defend their larger lands correctly. It would make forming warbands much easier that's for sure.

Pretty much only in Mount and Blade now for the combat. The "end game" stuff isn't all that interesting to me and the mechanics have always felt shallow. Hopefully this will be one of many things Mount and Blade 2 addresses.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2368 on: May 30, 2012, 06:39:21 am »

The Native Expansion mod gives you the option of removing stupid "challenges" like companion arguments and rebelling vassals, if you wanted to circumvent those things.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 31, 2012, 12:54:21 am »

Challenge mode for me in M&B Native:

Recruit only Rhodoks.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 310