Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656017 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #930 on: December 03, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »

I just came across an amusing bug, I helped a stack of manhunters win a battle, unfortunately all of them were killed. But I still got thanked for helping, presumably by a ghost and there's now a stack of 0+3 men on the map. Talking to the stack actually causes me to talk to the prisoners who act like manhunters. Shame it wasn't a stack which I could have normally attacked. It would be interesting to see how the game handles a battle against a stack of 0 men.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 06:54:38 pm by Jreengus »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 03, 2010, 11:31:59 pm »

been playing Brytenwalda for past few hours (very addicitive). As its alot more infantry based battles are rather different, holding the sheild wall rather than loads of charges. Battles are harder and imo abit more tactical. When i can afford a fleet im going to have a fleet battle.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 04, 2010, 01:02:27 am »

I just came across an amusing bug, I helped a stack of manhunters win a battle, unfortunately all of them were killed. But I still got thanked for helping, presumably by a ghost and there's now a stack of 0+3 men on the map. Talking to the stack actually causes me to talk to the prisoners who act like manhunters. Shame it wasn't a stack which I could have normally attacked. It would be interesting to see how the game handles a battle against a stack of 0 men.

Hmm... do Manhunter squads ever sell off their prisoners? If so, you might get your 0+0 stack yet.

Or, just follow them around until the next 'battle'. Will they flee from bandit groups? What if a bandit group chases them down and attacks? Will a complete lack of attacking units give Looters a chance of actually winning a battle?  ;)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 04, 2010, 01:28:31 am »

All the man hunters disappeared over time. Do they generate only at the beginning? Do they die off and there was only a limited number of them?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 04, 2010, 03:44:04 am »

been playing Brytenwalda for past few hours (very addicitive). As its alot more infantry based battles are rather different, holding the sheild wall rather than loads of charges. Battles are harder and imo abit more tactical. When i can afford a fleet im going to have a fleet battle.

I played that and tried to join the picts but was very confused.  The map is upside down right?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 04, 2010, 04:57:31 am »

In the vanilla game, which 8 are the best for conquering everything in a somewhat civilized manner(no looting and other activities that make the powerful but morally uptight ones leave)?

And what troops are best suited to that purpose? I'm guessing Nords because castle battles are infantry only and they are the toughest ones around and also get minor ranged attacks without hiring additional archers.

Finally, how many troops should I have before I start? I tried taking a minor lord's castle with 50, which worked well enough but then I got bumrushed by everyone else and got in a giant attrition war that I lost because I couldn't replenish my troops while sieged while the defeated lords respawned with new armies as faster then they died.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 04, 2010, 05:03:23 am »

In the vanilla game, which 8 are the best for conquering everything in a somewhat civilized manner(no looting and other activities that make the powerful but morally uptight ones leave)?

And what troops are best suited to that purpose? I'm guessing Nords because castle battles are infantry only and they are the toughest ones around and also get minor ranged attacks without hiring additional archers.

Finally, how many troops should I have before I start? I tried taking a minor lord's castle with 50, which worked well enough but then I got bumrushed by everyone else and got in a giant attrition war that I lost because I couldn't replenish my troops while sieged while the defeated lords respawned with new armies as faster then they died.

I like svadians too for castle combat. their knights are formidable even without the horse under.

but after a while I just 'solo' them because it's quicker than the ensuing mess. just bring a very lot of arrows!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 04, 2010, 08:32:25 am »

For castles I'd say Nord Huscarls + Rhodok Sharpshooters. Especially sharpshooters for defence.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 04, 2010, 12:10:55 pm »

I played that and tried to join the picts but was very confused.  The map is upside down right?

Honestly, I'm not sure, I end up spinning the map around enough that I don't know true north in any mount and blade game map. However, I do know in Brytenwalda that the snowy end of the map equates to Scotland, which is the real world north. So if you get confused, just zoom out, and spin it around until the snow is at the top of your screen, then you'll have north.

I've been giving this mod a try the last few times I've played, but it's really unforgiving, starting out. There are few, if any "looter" type groups that are easy to tackle with just a few farmers. The only really successful battles I've had are ones clearing out bandits from a village, which was only barely successful, and one where I just happened to join another group already in battle and help them out, it was already pretty unfair though, so I didn't help much. I really like a lot of what they did here, I just have no idea how to advance from my humble beginnings without losing every single possession I own due to capture. I tend to quickly lose all of my cash as well to recruiting farmers and them having them killed.

EDIT: I forgot, I did chase a couple of small groups off on my own, from horseback. But I nearly died on each of those attempts as well. Soon after I was captured and my horse stolen, which was crippling, to say the least. And they always seem to steal your horse if you have one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:13:05 pm by sluissa »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 04, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »

Yes, it's upside down.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 04, 2010, 04:21:32 pm »

Honestly, I'm not sure, I end up spinning the map around enough that I don't know true north in any mount and blade game map. However, I do know in Brytenwalda that the snowy end of the map equates to Scotland, which is the real world north. So if you get confused, just zoom out, and spin it around until the snow is at the top of your screen, then you'll have north.

I've been giving this mod a try the last few times I've played, but it's really unforgiving, starting out. There are few, if any "looter" type groups that are easy to tackle with just a few farmers. The only really successful battles I've had are ones clearing out bandits from a village, which was only barely successful, and one where I just happened to join another group already in battle and help them out, it was already pretty unfair though, so I didn't help much. I really like a lot of what they did here, I just have no idea how to advance from my humble beginnings without losing every single possession I own due to capture. I tend to quickly lose all of my cash as well to recruiting farmers and them having them killed.

EDIT: I forgot, I did chase a couple of small groups off on my own, from horseback. But I nearly died on each of those attempts as well. Soon after I was captured and my horse stolen, which was crippling, to say the least. And they always seem to steal your horse if you have one.

I always assumed the snowy area were east and the Nords kingdom were at the true north, go figure.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 04, 2010, 04:23:11 pm »

I think they're talking about the mod using a map of Great Britain, not the original one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 04, 2010, 04:23:59 pm »

I'm reinstalling Warband.  I simply haven't killed enough Rhodoks.  When every Rhodok in Calradia is dead I will not have killed enough to quench my hate.

Honestly, I don't even know why I hate the Rhodoks so much.  The sharpshooters don't bother me that much, the board shields aren't a big deal, I just have this baseless, irrational hatred for the Rhodoks.
Shoes...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 04, 2010, 04:53:57 pm »

Maybe because they are the ones most likely to knock you off your horse.... I hate them too.

EDIT:..... Omg their are the color of microcline THAT'S WHY!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 04, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »

Rhodoks are green, what are you talking about?
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 310