Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Age of Restoration II Discussion Thread - It's possibly near-death.  (Read 22755 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Restoration II Discussion Thread - Signups Open, 3 seconds needed.
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 08:54:51 am »

Alright, I'll get the game thread up soon.

Morale bonuses take effect on the next turn. Every turn, I'll state how much labor is available, along with how much food is needed. At 10,000 population, +10% labor gives another laborer. It does not require more food.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:57:58 am by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 09:47:10 am »

Posting in the game thread is now opened. Feel free to ask any questions here.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:13 am »

Very well, then, a question about granaries and warehouses - I take it that they can be expanded with later technologies? In the original AoR, multiple granaries could be built to extend the storage (not that anyone actually got to use that), but I'm assuming that doesn't work here.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2010, 10:48:55 am »

So, do we have resources from every tile in the city's region?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 10:54:10 am »

Very well, then, a question about granaries and warehouses - I take it that they can be expanded with later technologies? In the original AoR, multiple granaries could be built to extend the storage (not that anyone actually got to use that), but I'm assuming that doesn't work here.
Now that I think about it, there's not much of a reason not to allow stacking warehouses and granaries. It was mostly so nobody could have 60 wool sitting around uselessly without making a decision to have the storage for 60 wool. I'll add in build-able warehouses with the construction tech.

So, do we have resources from every tile in the city's region?
You get all the resources a tile provides when you assign a laborer to it. You can assign laborers to any tile in the city grid.

You will not get resources if you do not specifically assign laborers to work the land. I'll give a sample turn, using Usata rather then make a new one up.

Quote from: Sample turn
RP text about stuff that's RPish.
Spoiler: Numbers (click to show/hide)

You don't really need to keep track of things, but it is probably helpful to know exactly where you stand. If you describe the tile along with giving the number, it gives a bit of insurance in case of accidentally giving the wrong number. I might get a bit confused if you just say "I irrigate the plains tile west of the city." Also note that research can be split, although it may not be the best option.

With the 10,000 starting population, you'll need at least 10 units of food to avoid a famine.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:18:55 am by Nirur Torir »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 02:49:06 pm »

what exactly  dose scouting do?

Dose it find resources in our 18, dose it make the map bigger?
How dose it work? do you roll a dice? is the map already set?

Is there a map or is it abstracted outside of our 18?

What exactly dose a canoe do?

dose the ocean tile with the river going in to it count as ocean + river?

If we build a improvement dose it take place that turn?

How do you spell "dose", my spell checker says I am doing it right but it looks wrong.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 03:04:53 pm »

As far as I know...

Well, the scouting I have in mind would provide information outside of the city radius. Special resources can be found in various ways (at research, luck, and if I recall correctly, an Explorer leader). I doubt that the city radius can be expanded.

If we build a improvement dose it take place that turn?
The benefits of the improvement won't be available until the beginning of the next turn.

How do you spell "dose", my spell checker says I am doing it right but it looks wrong.
That would be "does."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 03:29:32 pm »

Knight Otu's answers were correct, although I'm keeping quiet on exactly how special resources are found.

There are two maps that you need to worry about. The city map, and the global map. Scouting explores more area on the global map. You might find villages, other players, abandoned resources, or possibly something else.

Dose it find resources in our 18, dose it make the map bigger?
How dose it work? do you roll a dice? is the map already set?
Having people work outside the city radius is considered highly inefficient, and will not take place. The map will be created after somebody starts exploring. I know where people and features basically are, but I haven't gotten around to drawing it quite yet. After exploration, you can request the global map, and I'll PM you the map that you've explored.

What exactly dose a canoe do?
It's basically a military unit restricted to waterways. You can give them weapons and improved armor armor (Wooden ram, for instance. Or arming the crew). They can be used to explore, trade, transport troops, and fight armies near rivers.

dose the ocean tile with the river going in to it count as ocean + river?
No, sorry.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2010, 04:14:46 pm »

Exactly how big are these rivers? Barely big enough for a single boat, or Mississippi size?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2010, 04:19:05 pm »

Mississippi size. Military units have no trouble crossing them outside of combat, but consider them impassable to most units during combat. Even to fish-people.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2010, 06:46:36 pm »

Would fighting across a river give any advantages to either side? Or is it just kind of there?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »

Seriously.
Do we Loss a Labour Unit when we train a Battle Unit seeing as a Labour Unit requires 1000Pop, while a Battle Unit requires 100Pop each. Thus meaning that I will have less then 1000 to make a Labour unit...

Posting as such but if I am wrong, I will change...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »

That is correct. The 100 population is deducted from the labor pool at the start of the turn, giving you 9 to work with. It does not take any labor to train a unit, however. You will get the labor point back next turn, giving you 11 labor units. (You'll make 9/10 of a labor unit this turn.)

Are you giving the bows to your SpearTaharks?

Edit: I received a PM asking me to clarify how morale and luxuries work.
Luxury goods provide a temporary morale bonus. Clothing will give +1 morale, so long as enough clothing is given to the people. Take that away, and the morale bonus will go back down to 5 (or 6, with a governor).
A shrine will give +10 spirituality luxury units per turn. Once a city hits 11,000 population, the bonus is 'wasted.' The morale will drop back to 5. The people will want 11 luxury units. This CAN be mixed with another good, like clothing, so only one unit per turn would be needed instead of two. If a tomb is then built, bringing the total up to +20 spirituality, then the clothing can either be dropped, or increased to two units/turn. This would bring the morale bonus up to +2.
20,000 people will be just as happy with 2 units of clothing as with 10.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:21:40 pm by Nirur Torir »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55:25 pm »

Ok Fixed the Bows, was thinking of next years work.
So this year I have 9 Workers to begin with, next I will have 11???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2010, 08:15:32 pm »

Yes.
In AoR I, all population not on the 1000 mark took food and luxuries, yet did nothing. In this, those 900 people will be doing a partial job, to be finished next turn. They won't drain food until they've done something useful It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you think about it, but I think it's a better alternative.

Oh, and military units take food, even on the turn that they're trained. You'll still need 10 food total (Which you have).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:17:37 pm by Nirur Torir »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18