Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 14455 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2010, 10:33:35 pm »

Anyways, I do agree that the final boss was utter weaksauce. The whole game, building up to this, and then you take him out by literally shooting the shit out of it. No big chase scene, no kick-ass explosions and gut-wrenching death, just a bunch of shooting and fin.
How was that different from the first game's ending? You fight through a few halls in the citadel, then Saren either kills himself or you kill him, then he's possessed and you stand and shoot at him for a few minutes while he hops around not really doing anything to you.

However, the ending cutscene
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
satisfied me somewhat. I do agree that ME1 had a great ending. This had a bit of a Halo 2 ending.
Were they actually moving towards the milky way, or just floating and staring at it like giant lost puppies of death?

Also, there wasn't exactly that much of a carry-through from ME1 to ME2 now that I think about it. Sure, your choices are mentioned, and people you... affected are brought back, but other than that, it's pretty much an entirely new game.
Almost every decision you could make in the first was at least mentioned, and considering both the sheer number and the relative triviality of most of them, that's more than I expected.

It is, however, almost entirely a new game. Not only are many basic mechanics changed, but a good portion of the background lore is retconned too. Like thermal clips. And quarians; I believe in the first game it was at least implied that they didn't wear the suits on their own ships, and the second has them living their whole lives inside bubbles because they're not on their homeworld? So the logic is, they have to wear the suits all the time because they have no immune systems because they wear the suits all the time because they're on spaceships. What the fuck. That's just... what the fuck. >:|

For ME3, I want a carry-through from the old game, with all my old equipment, the ability to get a shitload of armor again (I hate the fact that Shepard can't buy heavy/light armor anymore), and a wrapping up of the entire trilogy.
ME1's inventory system was horrible and clunky, and about 99% of the equipment you found was trash. There were only a couple of lines of armor worth using, and barely more weapon lines. While a little more variety in ME2's armor and weapons would have been nice, it was still a vast improvement.

Preferably including the entire team you have assembled from previous games and ME3, so you have an entire army of awesome.
Of which you can only use two at any time!
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2010, 10:37:38 pm »

How was that different from the first game's ending? You fight through a few halls in the citadel, then Saren either kills himself or you kill him, then he's possessed and you stand and shoot at him for a few minutes while he hops around not really doing anything to you.

In short, it had a far better cutscene.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2010, 03:00:43 am »

I'm quite eager to see how Shepard will kill all the Reapers in the next game on foot.

As for everything else... I guess I am a consumer sheep, because I don't mind too much.  Now that you mention it, though, weren't we supposed to be stopping Sovereign from waking up the other Reapers in the first one or something?

I also hope I get to

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2010, 03:11:27 am »

In short, it had a far better cutscene.
That is, admittedly, true. Both boss fights were shit though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2010, 03:13:47 am »

This thread has made me realize how much I want Half Life 2: Episode 3 and KOTOR 3, just to finish the stories.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2010, 03:15:53 am »

Oh yeah, the boss.

I dunno, I kinda liked his laser.  It was a pretty cool laser.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2010, 03:27:44 am »

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2010, 04:04:44 am »

Oh yeah, the boss.

I dunno, I kinda liked his laser.  It was a pretty cool laser.

Weak Point has a laser? Afaik he only breathes fire, knocks platforms out of the sky with his tail and summons more collectors, most of which die instantly because of the other two attacks.

Also, i imported a save i found on the internet because mine was gone after my Win 7 upgrade and it completely screwed up the sound. Radio chatter is inaudible, conversations are extremely quiet, in game speech fades out completely after a meter or two and hacking only has sound on one side of my headphones.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2010, 04:26:01 am »

Well, firelaser.

Nice post time, by the way.

So should I have used any heavy weapons besides the laser?  The laser was cool, but I get the feeling it didn't do as much damage as other stuff.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2010, 05:26:00 am »

Well, firelaser.

Nice post time, by the way.

So should I have used any heavy weapons besides the laser?  The laser was cool, but I get the feeling it didn't do as much damage as other stuff.
If you can put up with 2 hours of not using it between each shot, the M920 Cain will serve as your end all be all answer to anything with more hitpoints then a YMIR mech.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2010, 06:04:33 am »

The avalanche is awesome for dealing with anything smaller than YMIR's. Not sure how well it works against enemies protected by barriers/shields/armor though. It kills husks outright, geth too, I think. And it has a massive ammo capacity, compared to the other weapons.

The collector laser was kind of shit, compared to... well, even the basic small arms you start with, really. The grenade launcher was ok, but its ammo capacity was too small to be really useful. The missile launcher was decent, but appropriate only for a small number of situations. The cain was useless. One shot, with a fucklong charge up time before firing, and a slow moving projectile. I'm not sure if you got another shot if you fully upgraded the heavy weapon cap, I was at 170% at the end, with four bought or researched and the +10% cap leg armor. Sure, it was a huge explosion, but there wasn't really anything that warranted giving up a more usable weapon just to have that along. Hell, a direct hit on the final boss only knocks off half its health. If you could get a direct hit, that is, given the aforementioned long charge up time and slow moving projectile, coupled with the boss' erratic movement.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2010, 09:25:52 am »

I liked the collector beam because it had the cool factor of being a laser.  Imagining it melting through stuff was fun.  I usually saved it for big stuff - Heavy Mechs, or the Collector's big hockwave caster thing, or the controlled collectors.  It had huge ammo capacity, though, which was nice.

Still, I almost never used my heavy weapons.  All pistol, all the time.  Well, pistol and biotics.  And sniper rifle.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2010, 11:58:47 am »

The inability to actually see stats on weapons was also a big problem. You could individually test out every weapon against enemies with shields, armor, and biotic barriers, but since you can't backtrack, and there are no places you can go that just have enemies walking around for you to shoot at, the only way to test weapons are to take them on missions, meaning you'll only be able to have a good idea of what weapons to bring along on your second play through.
!!&!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2010, 01:40:28 pm »

To be fair, you do usually get a weapon locker soon after you find a new weapon, so the game gives you a little time to test it out (what with the auto-switch and all), before giving you the opportunity to change.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2010, 02:59:47 pm »

I liked the collector beam because it had the cool factor of being a laser.  Imagining it melting through stuff was fun.  I usually saved it for big stuff - Heavy Mechs, or the Collector's big hockwave caster thing, or the controlled collectors.  It had huge ammo capacity, though, which was nice.

Still, I almost never used my heavy weapons.  All pistol, all the time.  Well, pistol and biotics.  And sniper rifle.

The collector rifle tears through armor.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9