Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 14426 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mass Effect 2
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »

First!!!

Yeah, anyway, I don't really have anything to say, since I haven't even read the reviews or followed the development, but it's out and somebody's gotta have it by now. So, I just wanted to be the one to make the thread. I'll probably get it eventually if it doesn't suck too bad. I actually liked the first one, except for the stupid buggy tank driving thing.

Anyway, anyone who wants to make a Mass Effect 2 thread, now you don't have to! Just reply here. ;D

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:58:40 pm »

I think im the only person in the world who really enjoyed driving around that tank rover thingie :P

After beating mass effect 1 on release, I've been waiting a loong time for the second one, and within 3 days of it being released my xbox profile got deleted somehow... meaning ive lost all my save games and the like. So I've got to play through the first one again... and now my xbox dvd drive has stopped reading discs :(

In summary, damn anyone playing this game! :P

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:18:12 pm »

Let me know how it is; I liked the last one, but it got a little repetitive at times. Also, the male shepp better have improved his voice acting skills... dear god, this is the only game I've ever preferred to play as a chick.

Wish my PC was better.. the PC version seems so much better.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:10:03 pm »

I read something about how all weapons now have limited capacities. I can't remember where that was. The only number I remember from the article was a limit of fifteen shotgun shells.

Damnit, I need more than fifteen shells!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:26:37 pm »

Maybe 15 shells per 'clip'...

Yea, I'll probably get this sooner or later...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:44:34 pm »

Game's just fantastic, jawdrop moments guaranteed, although story so far is quite..hm, crude/naive sometimes(well, it is NOT a problem, actually, maybe it's just me).
Technically:
Optimisation's VERY good, game needs vsync forced on, though.
Awesome scifi feeling, many small things are adding to atmosphere, and DAMN, Garrus is just STUNNING now(fascinating dude).
Generally, characters presented in that part are VERY life-alike(i am not talking about gfx only there), it is SO RARE novadays.
Much more dialogues, awesome.
Much better lightning is making cutscenes absolutely fantastic.

I love actual galaxy/systems map, although visual way of presenting planets was better in first part - on the other way we have interesting probing/mining options now..
Great sound, great music, what to say more...

ahh, and..Jack :D

e6550, 3gb of ram and gtx 260 gs is far above enough to have perfect experience with that title.

Cons: bumpmaps are overdone sometimes(skin etc), some overlapping polygons here and there(i.e. doctor in medicals), and few quirks with dialogues, but nothing very problematic, though.
Also, i do not like weapons stats removed from view.

Ahh, one thing i was thinking about while playing - i personally doubt that humanoids with VERY long lifespan would want to be killed as mercenaries, it is illogical(Archangel mission, i.e.)
------
Concluding - i did not play DF because of ME2, today, that would say all, i think.
I am gamer for 24 years i am proud of authors of that title(uh, of BOTH titles, :) ).

You know what...i want System Shock on dx 10, DAMN.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:54:03 pm by xoen »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 04:44:44 am »

FYI:

There was some discussion/criticism about Mass Effect 2 in the 'bad game design' -thread.
Start's here:

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:16:01 am »

FYI:

There was some discussion/criticism about Mass Effect 2 in the 'bad game design' -thread.
Start's here:
not that much.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:19:53 am by xoen »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:19:56 am »

I'm not going to do a full review here but I will say two things:

1) Combat was overhauled and now is faster and more responsive. A little more like a shooter(still has the full depth of the rpg system + a little)

2) I like it. A LOT.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:44:04 am »

I just watched the Gamespot video review last night. One thing I like about it is how they removed inventory management and instead you get a new weapon "blueprint" instead of stockpiling lots of guns. Then you can just make it at your ship, so no need to hold to a ton of shotguns because someone might need one that's slightly better.

I love getting loot in games, but I just hate inventory management. That's why once I make a game, this will be mandatory: common inventory pool for all party members, + unlimited inventory space (logistics of that abstracted in any way you see fit :P)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:22:45 am »

yes! the first game's main drawback was the inventory system. I usually don't mind that sort of thing, but ME1 had a horrible horrible inv system. Good to know they've fixed it.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 04:38:22 pm »

Most hilarious thing of a day: advert of Hamlet by ELCOR in citadel, imagine that.
(unique 14 HOURS experience,LOL).

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 07:44:14 pm »

Wait, there's a Hamlet advert?  Awesome.  I don't remember it, though, and I was playing with the advertisement columns until it repeated SHEPARD GO TO SCHOOL.

Anyway, I was playing it yesterday, from 3 to... like, 3.  It's fun, though I REALLY miss changing my party member armor/weapons/weapon mods. 

I'm waiting until I get Tali back to do that one quest on the Citadel for whatever reason.  I like new Garrus, though I never used him in ME1.  Biotic powers are sweet now, but I need more hotkeys.  ...Or, you know, whatever the Xbox version of a hotkey is.

(EDIT:  Also forgot, I need more bullets for my sweet pistol.  I don't usually use my SMG because my pistol is totally cooler.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:47:58 pm by Farce »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:54 pm »

There was an advertisement for an all elcor performance of hamlet that played in the elevators in the first one, citing the directors motivation as wanting to "give the audience a chance to judge Hamlet by his deeds, and not his emotions." Which is hilarious.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9