Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The use of steam within dwarf fortress  (Read 15711 times)

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: The use of steam within dwarf fortress
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »

I heard that before proper temperatures were put in people used to have steam traps that were used to melt gobblins or something like that.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »

I heard that before proper temperatures were put in people used to have steam traps that were used to melt gobblins or something like that.

Yeah, steam used to be leathal
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 08:08:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:25:20 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »

When (if) we get workshops requiring water, we should mod in something like this:
Code: [Select]
Level 1
###
###
###

Level 2
~*~
Where # is a boiler, * is wall, and ~ is water for one side and magma for the other.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 10:29:17 pm »

Steam traps should be quite easy to make with a small waterfall and a big of lignite once steam actualy hurts creatures.

And about power generation, I think it would be interesting to have a steam powered windmill that the player would have to assemble himself. If steam eventualy behaves like an upwards falling fluid then making it turn windmills shouldnt be that big a step. It would be a more interesting alternative for perpetual motion machines.

Anything more than that would go a bit too far in my opinion. Steampunk would realy break the feel of the game, but eventualy it might be possible to make a mod for it. The game should allow for some pretty extensive modding the future.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 12:39:07 am »

Steam traps should be quite easy to make with a small waterfall and a bin of lignite once steam actualy hurts creatures.

Hopefully it will at least make you put the lignite under a metal plate with an air supply eventually...
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 01:11:52 am »

I'm definatly edging for the idea of steel plates over magma conducting the heat thats underneath of it.
not floors mind you, seperate plates designed to heat up.

having water running onto it would cause steam to happen, and dwarves stepping on them would cause mighty painful feets.
Perhaps have the plates non-pathable for creatures.
Building walls around the hot plates would allow one to funnel it into  where they want it to go, and could use hatches as a form of releasing the steam directly upwards, perhaps into complex tunnels where it would act as a water cannon would.. while the boiler would act as the water cistern..

I'm getting a little hot and heavy just thinking of the possibilities of machines I could make using steam.. because if it REALLY worked like water, you could dump items onto grates (or creatures) and shoot them sky high just as if you were tossing them in the river down the falls!  :o
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »

Steam cannons! ;D
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 12:07:33 am »

Steampunk's more about finding unrealistically effective ways to make robots and apparatuses out of methods that just don't work.  I don't think that steam is the problem with steampunk.  Merely taking a sideways glance at the laws of physics will cripple steampunk.

No bro, steampunks is just the aestethic setting of Victorian Europe, with some retrofuturistc sci-fi in the mix.

Also this thread needs a bump. Steamengines for dwarves!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:45 am »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:33:15 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:37 am »

Assuming that the custom-buildings (the ones coming up in the next version) are expanded to allow all sorts of building jobs, making a fuel-and-water-to-power reaction should hopefully be possible.  Granted, it would take a modicum of bending on Toady's part, since those aren't exactly vanilla features.

Treadmills, hand-cranks and at least rudimentary clockwork are supposedly on the to-do list, so chances are Toady will just code in reactions for generating X amount of power for X number of frames and leave the rest to the modders.

And personally, what I really want to see is the scope to create pieces of workshop equipment that can make manufacturing tasks go many times faster but which require a constant supply of power.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 06:06:49 am »

Mhm I wouldn't mind having steam power technology. Then I could finally get around to building a functional geothermal power station.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »

A Steam raising unit (Firebox+Boiler+injectors+blower+all those bits) that produces Steam that can then be moved by pipes to an engine (Piston+valve gear) that produces rotatory energy would be welcome.
The steam raiser would be operated by a dwarf who takes fuel from a stockpile and controls the boiler and tends to the fire. Early boilers where bulky and the dwarf needs a place to stand, So the normal 3x3 with a square of water under it (like how magma furnaces work).
Boilers have to be a bit of a pain, yearly blow downs to run efficiently(Cleaning out the gunk that is left when the water boils), etc.

The engine it self could be a simple expansion engine. which are simple, But hilariously inefficient, So you will be guzzling fuel to feed one. They also release Scalding hot steam into the air; Which is nice underground :P .

Of course who says Magma can't be used to boil the water? No operator as the magma could flow directly though the heat pipes in the boiler and then back into where it came from; Occasionally a massive cloud of steam might bellow out the boiler as the safety valve trips(Or if you don't like anything with "safety" in the name: the boiler could explode.)
No magma would be consumed, just cooled; which isn't in the game yet as far as I'm aware.

I don't like water reactors and i feel that this would fill that niche quiet nicely. And the FUN of dealing with scalding hot steam bellowing out of the engines deep underground sounds interesting.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 04:55:43 pm »

I want a piping system; built like gears and axles to allow movement of pressurized fluids without making the tile impassible.

So, build a magma-safe pipe through a tile, immerse the tile in magma, and pump water through the pipe...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 09:48:37 pm »

We have a grand total of 1 use for power at the moment. Pumps. It's not like we need more energy to power them, considering we already have hydro-plants that create enough energy to render fusion technology a thing of a bygone era.

I say we need more uses for all that electricity before we have more structures to make the stuff. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4