Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: War on Earthquakes  (Read 4948 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War on Earthquakes
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »

People are dying from earthquakes.

215,197 people have died from earthquakes in Haiti, Iran, Kashmir, and China...in the past decade alone (I'm assuming 30,000 people died in the Haiti earthquake). The disaster in Haiti showcase that earthquakes are traumatic events that can have dire consequences, and that, without proper rapid aid, people can suffer greatly.

I think that, therefore, as a confidence-building measure based on Haiti awareness and gaining international goodwill, the United States should declare a War on Earthquakes, in much the same was the US declared War on Drugs, Poverty, and Terror. Basically, just devote more money towards earthquake detection and rapid transfer of aid to those that need it most. By doing so, the United States will lessen the disasters caused by earthquakes. Innocent people are being harmed by earthquakes. We must not let another 200,000 people die again.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: War on Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:12:42 pm »

Is this going to be as successful as the other wars you mentioned?

One more victory like those and we'll be undone.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:59 pm »

I always knew that damn Earth was out to get us.  Well, we'll show it who's boss.  This is a call to all men strong of arm and stout of heart!  Take up your weapons, and fire everything you have straight into the ground!  I doubt it'll feel anything short of high explosives, so we need the biggest blasts you can get.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:30:13 pm »

don't be silly, all we need are massive walls to keep the tectonic plates from interacting with one another.

Or we could just duct tape em to one place. It'll work
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »

Or we could just duct tape em to one place. It'll work

The only person capable of doing this is Red Green.

To the Cellular phone!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »

yes this is a perfect topic to joke about

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 10:15:13 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure Servant Corps is pretty pissed off about this.  What y'all need to realize is that humor is the only reactionary mechanism we cynics have.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 10:21:36 pm »

Anyway, America looks too warlike to other nations already.  We need to impose economic sanctions against the plates, while also providing foreign aid to those oppressed by them.
Shoes...

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:22:58 pm »

sure, but for tragedies like this it's mostly better to keep it to yourself

personA: my mom died last night
personB: probably from the dicking I gave her, heh
personB: dude why are you mad? humor is how i deal!

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 10:24:10 pm »

oh. i read it wrong. woops.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:33:05 pm by Chutney »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »

What y'all need to realize is that humor is the only reactionary mechanism we cynics have.

Is it a blessing, or a curse?
sure, but for tragedies like this it's mostly better to keep it to yourself

personA: my mom died last night
personB: probably from the dicking I gave her, heh
personB: dude why are you mad? humor is how i deal!

I laughed uncontrollably at this.

And no, i feel no shame.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 10:30:58 pm »

Anyway, America looks too warlike to other nations already.  We need to impose economic sanctions against the plates, while also providing foreign aid to those oppressed by them.
and nice, a "shit on america" thread too

Now how did you draw that conclusion from that statement?
Shoes...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 10:34:32 pm »

Haiti might as well have been hit by a nuclear strike. War isn't the way. Diplomacy, peace, and friendship is the only path.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »

We don't really have the money to just dump over into earthquake prevention and prevention research, and also, why is it our responsibility? I mean sure, I'd support it if every country chipped in a bit, but we aren't required to provide for the well being of everyone in every regard.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 10:43:59 pm »

We don't really have the money to just dump over into earthquake prevention and prevention research, and also, why is it our responsibility? I mean sure, I'd support it if every country chipped in a bit, but we aren't required to provide for the well being of everyone in every regard.
It's the international community's responsibility and, as a large country, part of that responsibility is America's *shrugs*

I wouldn't see this thread as America bashing, myself.  Britain and many other countries are involved in the War on Drugs and War on Terror.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6