Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: War on Earthquakes  (Read 4947 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: War on Earthquakes
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:24 pm »

The first dozen presidents described to the William Tell overture? Interesting.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2010, 11:46:22 pm »

Besides that, I don't even know what Servant is arguing for.  That the United States should have a giant army of rapid-response disaster relief personal on station for the entire world all the time, just because we can theoretically foot the bill better than other countries?  First of all, what gives you or anyone the right to demand that country prop another state it has nothing to do with?

Because people are dying from earthquakes, and, well, dead people aren't really a good thing. Usually.  :-\ Why else do we fight all those other Wars? Because we feel that it is a good thing. It's good to fight terrorism, good to fight poverty, good to fight drugs, good to fight earthquakes.

I wasn't thinking a unilateral War on Earthquakes, oh no. That would be a a pointless quagmire. I was thinking a global War on Earthquakes, where the US pitches in, but so does the rest of the developed world (EU, China, etc.) If you help one country out in fighting earthquakes in its country, you can be assured that same country will help the rest of the world through other ways (although I would be hard pressed to find out how Haiti will help the United States of America. However, I could see nations like, say, Iran, might like anti-Earthquake assistance). A "scratch my back, scratch your back" deal.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2010, 01:26:05 am »

I say we do what Bill Gates wants to do to hurricanes, but for earthquakes. Maybe if we can just hold those damn plates still everything will work out ok.

Perhaps rubber shock absorbers wedged in between the fault lines?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2010, 02:13:55 am »

How do we fight against earthquakes anyway? Shoot it? Let's not declare a war we can't win.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2010, 02:19:17 am »

I say we do what Bill Gates wants to do to hurricanes, but for earthquakes. Maybe if we can just hold those damn plates still everything will work out ok.

Perhaps rubber shock absorbers wedged in between the fault lines?

I think you underestimate exactly how much force the plates are pushing against eachother with...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2010, 02:33:35 am »

Clearly the solution is magma.

If we manufacture enough magma and pump it through the crust, the crust will no longer be able to contain the pressure, and thus will fly apart! Therefore, the plates will never grind against one another again, ending earthquakes forever!

Vote Blarg!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2010, 03:27:45 am »

Maybe... if everybody realized that we are all in this together, there would be no more human-on-human wars?  Then we could war on earthquakes all we want.  :)

</naivete>
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]