Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816879 times)

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #780 on: January 22, 2010, 07:37:22 pm »

True it fails once a day, but it also has enough maintenance supplies for 223 days at worst case scenario breakdowns every time.

If a ship has enough maintenance supplies to repair the broken component then the component is instantly repaired and the maintenance supplies reduced.

156 THOUSAND engineering stations do not lie  :)

To get the geo or xeno teams on a plant, go to population and production and go to the Teams / Academy tab. In the middile there is a box with available team members as well as a box that lets you select the team type.

For mass drivers, put some on the place you want to fling from and the place you want to fling to and then go to the mining/maintenance tab and at the top right of the minerals there should be a drop down box listing mass driver destinations.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 22, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »

To get the geo or xeno teams on a plant, go to population and production and go to the Teams / Academy tab. In the middile there is a box with available team members as well as a box that lets you select the team type.

I've done this, but I've got no updates on them. Do I need to set something?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:46:45 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 22, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »

True it fails once a day, but it also has enough maintenance supplies for 223 days at worst case scenario breakdowns every time.

If a ship has enough maintenance supplies to repair the broken component then the component is instantly repaired and the maintenance supplies reduced.

156 THOUSAND engineering stations do not lie  :)

Just wait for that thing to bankrupt your entire empire of maintenance supplies.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 22, 2010, 07:55:32 pm »

Anyone who could build such a ship wouldn't have to worry about things like "Time" "Limited Resources" or anything =P

I designed it in my MaxTechPlayground game and fast OBed it.

Funny enough the maintenance failure rate is so high that it causes an overflow and thus no maintenance failures occur =P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »

I've once had a fighter collect about 80 lifepods after a lost space battle.

The fighter was somehow capable of fitting literally 100's if not a thousand people somewhere... including prisoners (unless interrogations = dead and ejected)...   into a tiny ship made to fit no more then 20 people...

Took about 3-4 months to bring it back home with a jump-tanker that somehow survived the first volley from the enemy fleet... and escaped unnoticed....  right from the beginning its engine was damaged.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 22, 2010, 08:42:05 pm »

Even to build the shipyard required to build that monstrosity would take several centuries and dozens of systems worth of minerals. I can only say >urk<.
it menaces with spikes of duranium obviously. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:45:38 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:19 pm »

Quick question; How do I set up point defence? Can I just use a couple of laser turrets hooked up to a zero-res fire-control?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 22, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »

Quick question; How do I set up point defence? Can I just use a couple of laser turrets hooked up to a zero-res fire-control?
i think so. you have to ordem them to open fire once they lock on though. or so i ve heard.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 22, 2010, 09:20:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and im gonna idle at quakenet on #dfaur

if you don't have a irc client you can use my a webone from my website
http://eksjolan.se/chat/elfchat.php

Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 22, 2010, 09:29:45 pm »

I'll be really lazy and use nate's screenshot as an example.
Ok once you've loaded your missiles into your ship go to the combat overview.

And 1 2 3

If you look to the right, next to 'Assign ECCM to selected fire control'...

You will see 'Change Point Defense mode for SFC'.  This is the missile version, where you decide how many anti missiles will be automatically fired at what range.  Range, by default is the max range of the weapon/missiles.  (Not too sure about the missiles.)

The Non-Missile version of Point Defense is a bit simpler.  None, Area Defense, Final Defense, and Final Defense(something else here), and Self-Only(?)

The 2nd Final Defense is probably the best to have since I believe it'll shoot, even if ammo capacity is not full as a desperate last defense before the missile hits.

I havn't had enough experience fighting missile NPRs to give a better idea...

@ Head, I believe the targeting/combat screen is a less hassle way to set PD up... and ECCM... and assigning fire control... heck everything for shooting down stuff since the information updates there... and you can assign for all of the same type of ship instead of having to do it individually...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 22, 2010, 09:57:35 pm »

I'll be really lazy and use nate's screenshot as an example.
Ok once you've loaded your missiles into your ship go to the combat overview.

And 1 2 3

If you look to the right, next to 'Assign ECCM to selected fire control'...

You will see 'Change Point Defense mode for SFC'.  This is the missile version, where you decide how many anti missiles will be automatically fired at what range.  Range, by default is the max range of the weapon/missiles.  (Not too sure about the missiles.)

The Non-Missile version of Point Defense is a bit simpler.  None, Area Defense, Final Defense, and Final Defense(something else here), and Self-Only(?)

The 2nd Final Defense is probably the best to have since I believe it'll shoot, even if ammo capacity is not full as a desperate last defense before the missile hits.

I havn't had enough experience fighting missile NPRs to give a better idea...

@ Head, I believe the targeting/combat screen is a less hassle way to set PD up... and ECCM... and assigning fire control... heck everything for shooting down stuff since the information updates there... and you can assign for all of the same type of ship instead of having to do it individually...

Indeed. i use it all the time just tought the ships menu was easier to find.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 22, 2010, 11:57:32 pm »

I'm going start creating fighters, but just to check, I just need to design a ship under 1000 tons for it to be classed as a fighter, or is there a specific menu?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 23, 2010, 01:12:11 am »

I'm going start creating fighters, but just to check, I just need to design a ship under 1000 tons for it to be classed as a fighter, or is there a specific menu?

Its under 500 tons.  And they need fighter engines instead of normal engines.  Nifty lil buggers.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 23, 2010, 01:31:32 am »

500tons
FFFFFFFFFF

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 23, 2010, 01:32:00 am »

I think fighters can't have/don't need a bridge either, and can only have a certain weight of weapons and armor.

If in doubt there's a little "Ship is classified as a fighter for combat and production purposes" that shows up under the military/commercial line if the ship is a fighter.  Probably the same for gunboats.

As a side note I just realized that shield systems stack. D'oh!  Here I was thinking shields were just crap. :P

P.S. on fighter designs.  I find that custom designing fire control or reactor systems for use on a small fighter cuts down on some space.  Replacing the crew quarters with a small version and replacing the engineering with smaller ones (or omitting them all together since your carrier can probably pick them up in the off chance they break down) and going with a small fuel tank, They'll be piggybacking on their carrier for most of their travel time and I find that even with a single small fuel tank fighters still have more than a full day of full afterburners.  That helps free up space.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:38:34 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1347