Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816854 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #750 on: January 21, 2010, 12:38:02 pm »

Try to change targets as little as possible.  Every time you switch the firecontrol has a short delay (15 to 20 seconds in my experience) before it can begin firing again.  Not so harmful on slow reloading missile launchers, very harmful on fast firing energy weapons.
Far as I understand it (I haven't been able to verify this yet), Task Force training and a good Operations officer should be able to reduce those delays. Not that that helps when you're already staring at enemy missiles.

Do i just need to dump my engineering brigade on a planet with runins after ive been thier with a xenology team?.
Yep, once the Xeno team has done its work, the engineers can begin theirs. You'll get occasional messages that show what the engineers uncovered (or that they failed to recover something) in the event log. Do note that engineer brigades are larger than other ground forces, though.

Yes it was me missing  the event. btw they take up 5 troop bay
lol yes.
my trooptransporter has four. >< -doh!
edit: ah no, it is 5. small ones. nough for a battalion, but not for engineers.
???
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:47:58 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:18 pm »

Try to change targets as little as possible.  Every time you switch the firecontrol has a short delay (15 to 20 seconds in my experience) before it can begin firing again.  Not so harmful on slow reloading missile launchers, very harmful on fast firing energy weapons.
Far as I understand it (I haven't been able to verify this yet), Task Force training and a good Operations officer should be able to reduce those delays. Not that that helps when you're already staring at enemy missiles.

Do i just need to dump my engineering brigade on a planet with runins after ive been thier with a xenology team?.
Yep, once the Xeno team has done its work, the engineers can begin theirs. You'll get occasional messages that show what the engineers uncovered (or that they failed to recover something) in the event log. Do note that engineer brigades are larger than other ground forces, though.

Yes it was me missing  the event. btw they take up 5 troop bay
lol yes.
my trooptransporter has four. >< -doh!
edit: ah no, it is 5. small ones. nough for a battalion, but not for engineers.
???

pretty logical need more space for engineers since they got tools and shit
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 21, 2010, 09:08:20 pm »

Hmm. 4 of my officers died withing 6 years of me starting a new game due to accidents.

Coincidence? Or foul play?

You decide.

Dun dun dun.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 22, 2010, 02:11:36 am »

Anyone did some sick stuff yet?

I stop reading for one day and two or three pages appear..so I'll just read the post above mine otherwise my eyes explode or something.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:48 am »

No, not really.  Seems Steve is gonna do another save breaking update soon due to a game stopping bug.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 22, 2010, 03:59:40 am »

In one of the games I was playing I managed to scrub enough resources together in Sol to build one of these to kill the aliens blocking the only way out.
    North Carolina class Missile Cruiser    720150 tons     80530 Crew     114987 BP      TCS 14403  TH 24000  EM 0
    1666 km/s     Armour 25-715     Shields 0-0     Sensors 120/120/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1000     PPV 5200
    Annual Failure Rate: 4148%    IFR: 57.6%    Maintenance Capacity 99798 MSP    Max Repair 420 MSP
    Magazine 50200   

Ion Engine E8 (400)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
    Fuel Capacity 20,000,000 Litres    Range 62.5 billion km   (434 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (200)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 5
    Size 24 Missile Launcher (100)    Missile Size 24    Rate of Fire 120
    Size 5 Missile Launcher (100)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 25
    Size 12 Missile Launcher (100)    Missile Size 12    Rate of Fire 60
    Size 9 Missile Launcher (100)    Missile Size 9    Rate of Fire 45
    Missile Fire Control FC147-R1 (5)     Range 4.4m km    Resolution 1
    Missile Fire Control FC168-R14 (5)     Range 70.6m km    Resolution 14
    Spark II AMM (5000)  Speed: 38,400 km/s   End: 9.8m    Range: 22.5m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 460 / 276 / 138
    Slasher II ASM (1000)  Speed: 26,700 km/s   End: 46.9m    Range: 75.1m km   WH: 10    Size: 12    TH: 187 / 112 / 56
    Spear II ASM (500)  Speed: 26,700 km/s   End: 41m    Range: 65.7m km   WH: 10    Size: 24    TH: 329 / 197 / 98
    Firestorm II ASM (1000)  Speed: 15,400 km/s   End: 73.2m    Range: 67.7m km   WH: 8    Size: 5    TH: 118 / 70 / 35
    Quad Firestorm II Pack ASM (100)  Speed: 2,700 km/s   End: 58.6m    Range: 59.5m km   WH: 0    Size: 24    TH: 9 / 5 / 2
    Spark II 22-Pack AMM (75)  Speed: 2,700 km/s   End: 58.6m    Range: 10m km   WH: 0    Size: 24    TH: 9 / 5 / 2
    Novafury Bomb-Pumped Xray Laser Heavy ASM (500)  Speed: 21,300 km/s   End: 36.6m    Range: 46.8m km   WH: 90    Size: 24    TH: 149 / 89 / 44

Active Search Sensor S420-R14 (2)     GPS 5880     Range 58.8m km    Resolution 14
    Active Search Sensor S420-R100 (2)     GPS 42000     Range 420.0m km    Resolution 100
    Active Search Sensor S420-R1 (2)     GPS 420     Range 4.2m km    Resolution 1
    Thermal Sensor TH20-120 (1)     Sensitivity 120     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  120m km
    EM Detection Sensor EM20-120 (1)     Sensitivity 120     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  120m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

I was limited to the Sol system for around 150 years. It was nearly completely mined out and the entire efforts of humanity were thrown into this ship, which trampled the aliens!

With the aliens dead I expanded into the stars, but with no maintenance facilities the ship which had carried the hopes of mankind slowly rusted into nothing because there was no place large enough to overhaul it.

ASMs are Anti Ship Missiles, AMMs are Anti-Missile Missiles.

I can't believe I turned off my lurker mode to post this...

*disappears into the shadows*

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 22, 2010, 04:29:27 am »

Well these are 4 my four ship fighting a armada. thats what happend when you think everything is going so great. lucky their missiles are exploding outside my AAM(their missiles run out of fuel)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 22, 2010, 05:14:16 am »

Well these are 4 my four ship fighting a armada. thats what happend when you think everything is going so great. lucky their missiles are exploding outside my AAM(their missiles run out of fuel)

Not sure that qualifies as an armada. A small fleet perhaps.  ;)

Aftermath of a battle with a enemy fleet carrier:

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 22, 2010, 06:13:51 am »

off-topic:

This is an image of a dwarf and a planet by Steve Walmsley. The planet is orbiting the dwarf. The dwarf is shining at the planet.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 22, 2010, 06:25:43 am »

What's an image of that?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 22, 2010, 06:27:59 am »

Not sure that qualifies as an armada. A small fleet perhaps.  ;)

Aftermath of a battle with a enemy fleet carrier:

Heh its an armada to me since it the first NPR ive encounterd expect op precoursers. (btw this race is two hops from sol

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 22, 2010, 09:13:22 am »

Bah, 2 new games in a row and I end up with only 2 systems. The RNG gives me only one jump to the second system then decides to make that second system a deadend.  Wouldn't bug me too much if it wasn't for the ~3 hours it takes to set the game up in SM mode.

Anyone else notice an epidemic of freeware game programmers getting sick?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:02 am »

Tough luck. :(

Maybe in setup you have set the
[local system gen. chance (%)]
and
[local system gen. spread]
too low?

I have the default settings and tend to get systems with a spread of 2 to 9 (!) jumppoints, no deadends yet, but only 8 of 32 systems surveyed completely.

---
Superheavy stars suck for transit-hubs, I have found.
The distances involved are just too astronomical. (no pun intended)
---

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 22, 2010, 09:52:56 am »

I think those were both set to default both those times.  This time I changed the close system number to 30 instead of 15, if I understand it right that should increase the number of jump points a bit.  It probably helps that while generating systems to pick a homeworld that the home system I pick has at least 2 jump points out of it.

After messing around in that I discovered that I can manually place jump points to new systems in SM mode.  So if it happens again I can probably just plop down some random JP to a new system.  And make sure that new system has a ton of jump points.

Just adding the point and nothing else created an annoying bug where the ship entering it ceased to exist and I kept getting unknown system errors and all kinds of stuff like that.  I like to think that the grav survey ship messed up and linked a jump point directly into a black hole or a supernova or something.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 22, 2010, 09:57:59 am »

lol!
Those poor dwarves!
The aurora equivalent of the bottomlesspit: Jumppoint to Oblivion (tm).

Maybe you need to add JP to both systems of a JP pair?
and link them.
but I think that systems/jps are generated as they are explored, so resetting the surveypoints for 'Sol' should allow you to scan them again and find additional JPs.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 1347