Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816973 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #705 on: January 19, 2010, 07:40:49 pm »

Last night, took me hours figuring out why my jump ships, a small military jump and the larger commercial jump couldn't take my military sensor ships... into a jump.

I finally figured it out... after reading on the forums.  Jump capability/ferrying.... practically depends on the jump engine capability.

Jump Engine capacity is the determining factor of the size of the jump ship.  That is if you want to use that ship of yours to 100% capacity...

If you make the ship size higher then jump engine capacity, it won't work period.  If you make the ship size lower then jump engine capacity you arn't using it to the full potential.

You can spec warship/survey ships to be equal or lower in size for jump ship squads. 
(I've practically spent hours designing my ships.... and only on my current technology level...  wait till I upgrade!  How I don't and yet look forward to it...)

There be hostiles on the 'otherside'... and I wanted to scout their ship capabilities before sending in my war fleet.  Also figuring out jump tech in the meantime.  I think my official policy for now is no warp gates....  Don't want hostiles following me...

I know that there are about 81  or was it it 83 Fast Attack Cruisers(FAC)... 
800 tons, Non missile weaponry, About 2734 speed 
About 5 ships were lost with 100% casualties... getting that information...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 19, 2010, 08:16:33 pm »

I have been rather lucky, found some suitable planets and finally found a perfect one (almost earth-like).

Haven't found any aliens in almost 22 systems already.

The only crap I did was accidentally taking off all Earth's mass drivers (I don't know what the hell I did work. I ordered 2 small freighters to get 0.5x Mass Driver from earth and unload, they took 1.2x instead), and that fucked my game very nicely.
The civvies turned hostile and I don't have any ideas on how to make them "friendly" again.
I tried editing it's status on the Alien Races panel using SM, but can't help myself.

Anyone got any ideas? I really ain't going to restart, I did a LOT already..

--
Steve gave me an advice.
Enter diplomacy screen on SM mode, change DR to 10000.
They turn friendly civs again :]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:34:03 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 19, 2010, 08:25:35 pm »

Did you know?  You can target civie ships.

Try destroying them all, see if that'll learn em or not. 

Disclaimer: End results may not be what you want.

Edit: This is what I found on Aurora for ya if you didn't screw things over yet.  (Oh, already got it?  I'll just leave it here...)

Fix for hostile Civilians
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:59:59 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

haha thanks, but Gabes is actually, me!  ;D
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 19, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »

Ah, the name looked familiar.  But decided to go post it anyways. 

Probably more appropriate for me to link to the post instead of quoting it here...  I'll fix that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 19, 2010, 08:55:55 pm »

Well losing is fun.  But I think I'll pass on the civil war.  I also have a massive number of systems and no sign of NPRs.  I did fight some precursors in 3 diffrent systems, and they are a challenge, but I never encountered more than 10 ships of them in a system, which can be overwhelmed by fighters without much difficulty. They usually go down under a hail of 20 or 30 fighters shooting pea shooter lasers before my heavier ships even close all the way. I guess they don't bother with multiple Fire control systems like I do.

I know I have an NPR someplace, because I keep getting some kind of NPR population error, but I just can't find the thing.  So I just went into SM mode and created an NPR race in one of the outlying systems.  I already forgot what system it was, so they'll probably get plenty of time to build up before a survey ship blunders into them and sparks a war.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 19, 2010, 10:32:02 pm »

So what steps can I take to stop going to broke?

I'm building financial centers, anything else can I do?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 19, 2010, 10:51:53 pm »

Incidentally, I found my hostile civvies went away after I restarted the game, although by the stage I restarted, I'd also got the mass drivers back up and had gotten the colony unrest down.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 20, 2010, 12:59:26 am »

Look at the Wealth/Trade tab under Economics(F2)...

What are your expenses?

Shipbuilding? Researching? Ground Unit Production? Ground Unit Maintenance? Industry Production? Ordinance Production?
Fighter Production? Paying Civies to transport your stuff? Buying Civie Minerals?

All of the above?  (Probably more examples...)

Well, its probably a lot of those, to get out of the red, simply stop constructing/researching....  unless you did that already...  then you did something wrong... and will have to stop supporting the Civie market and/or let go of some troops...

EDIT: Financial Centers...  I'm gonna have to say meh to em.   Not useful in the early stages when you don't have enough pop to work in manufacturing...  and when you get in the green and a giant pop, its just useless sitting there generating 20-30 bucks per 10 or so of em.

EDIT 2:  I'm just waiting for my 1 and only shipping line to go bankrupt....   well doing other stuff too...  but yea...  its at 1 wealth and 0.79 share price.

Also here be my fun fighters.  Gonna be jettisoning troopers every which way at these enemies I got... 

Code: [Select]
Boarding Party C Mk I class Fighter    175 tons     8 Crew     46.9 BP      TCS 3.5  TH 10.08  EM 0
18000 km/s     Armour 1-2     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 35%    IFR: 0.5%    Maintenance Capacity 0 MSP    Max Repair 24 MSP
Drop Capacity: 1 Company   

FTR Magneto-plasma Drive E800 (1)    Power 63    Fuel Use 8000%    Signature 10.08    Armour 0    Exp 125%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 1.3 billion km   (19 hours at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a fighter for production and combat purposes
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:07:37 am by Zangi »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 20, 2010, 01:50:59 am »

Lost another jump gate constructor to mystery missiles in a newly descovered system.  The jump gate constructor got to the system before a proper survey could be carried out and regretted it.

So I gather up my fleet, now 4 carriers (unarmed 7000 tons), 2 cruisers (Heavy laser weaponry + heavy armor and shields 13000 tons), 6 destroyers (8000 tons 1 missile launcher and a small number of laser turrets), and my sensor ship (with 2 small and 1 medium missile launcher and cutting edge active and passive sensor tech).  And jump in with another constructor ship.  Expecting to simply cover the constructor while it builds a gate.

No such luck, the moment I jump in, 7 contacts at 0km they were waiting on the other side, the constructor goes down in 5 seconds, my fire control is blind after the jump and lasers and missiles are tearing into the lead cruiser. The first laser armed precursors I've encountered, 15 seconds pass and I have sensors again.  They are all destroyer size ships, half of them are trying to get as far from the fighting as they can.  Those are a class I recognise, fast missile boats, I don't want them to get out of my firing range because they'll never get back in it.  The other class is a class I never encountered before and is blasting away with high power energy weapons. At least 5 20cm probably more.  The fighters are launched and go chasing after the missile ships I know the missile ships can't hit the fighters.  And the fighters should help spot incoming missiles early to give my point defense all the help it can get.

The lead criuser is down, it never managed to fire a shot, the second criuser lays some hurt into one of the enemy laser ships then loses it's main reactor reducing it's rate of fire to nearly nil.  The missile ships are out of laser range at this point and the fighters are only barely faster than them.  The Sensor ship is still trading missiles with them but is severely outmatched, then it takes a broadside from the enemy laser ships to it's light armor and goes down.  My own destroyers put up a valiant fight but they are outnumbered and outgunned, only able to finish off the one ship that the criuser had nearly crippled.  The unarmed carriers go down next, and then the laser ships catch up to the fighters harassing the missile ships and swat them one at a time.

Now THAT is what I expected the first time I encountered the precursors.  Good to see they aren't all as lame as I feared.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 20, 2010, 03:56:13 am »

How do I assign geo teams?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 20, 2010, 05:53:27 am »

Do you mean make them? Or load them onto ships for actual survey work?

To make em, you go to the teams/academy tab of the F2 window, select geology team, and select your team members.

To actually have them do anything, give your ship the pick up team order. NOTE, this is not assigning. From memory, you can only 'assign' individual officers, a team is just loaded. Also, to do a more in depth survey, just dump your team on an inhabitated planet. I found it's a good way to use those navy officers who would be otherwise twiddling their thumbs on earth; lump em in a geo team, and dump them on mars etc.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 20, 2010, 06:21:43 am »

To clarify, you can only drop teams onto planets/moons/bodies which have had a colony established. The colony does not have to be inhabited or indeed inhabitable. The easiest way to do this is to go to the F9 screen, select the body you want to establish a colony on and hit add colony. Remember to do this before giving the ship orders to drop off a team there or it will cancel the orders when it reaches the body.

In order for a team to work, it only has to be present on the surface you don't need to give them orders to survey, it will happen automatically. Remember to have a team survey earth as well

Also you can transfer a team to a ship in orbit directly from the teams tab of the F2 window.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:23:19 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 20, 2010, 07:07:28 am »

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you research the improved construction/research rates the total wealth spent will increase as the cost is per research point/build point not per facility. This can quickly lead to your expenditure outstripping your income.

The best way of making wealth would be to increase the total population of your empire by setting up multiple inhabited colonies. Populations grow fastest on small colonies, so many small colonies will be better for growth than a few large ones. However this can be counteracted by the cost of the infrastructure you will most likely need to build and transfer to the new colonies.

The other way is to research the expand civilian economy tech.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 20, 2010, 07:33:09 am »

I'm planning to take out 52 precursor meson FACSs with micromissiles and gauss turrets.... Should 1.5x total fleet mass be enough?

The shields will be effectively wasted money, but I'd like my first massproduced -first period- warships to be good for fighting others than small hyperfast mesonscraft.

edit: damn those bedbugs are everywhere! >:{
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:42:56 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 1347