Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816975 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #690 on: January 18, 2010, 09:48:03 pm »

Yeah, the "slow motion" it turns after you start exploring and expanding is really annoying.

I just found one jumpgate in a system, and he is...alone there.
Don't know if there are others yet, I'm going to replace my survey ships finally, and put a halt to exploration for the moment.

Also I built jumpgates to alpha centauri (total = 4), so now I can start some far-away colonies.
I'm also focusing in mining and terraforming right now, building logistic fleets to make everything work, etc.

The only problem is the increment slow down.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:55:56 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #691 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01:58 pm »

This game is the very definition of 'fun'. I currently have colony ships ferrying hundreds of colonists to Mars... except there's almost no infrastructure. The population is constantly dying, the Cargo ships can't get enough infrastructure there in time, and the outraged colonists grow angrier by the day. It's like a slow-motion trainwreck where helicopters are airdropping in new trains.

Did anyone else perk up at that part in the tutorial where (I think) it said multiple players could start on the same planet? That would be totally awesome.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 18, 2010, 10:25:44 pm »

All my civvies went hostile. I currently have a pair of civ cargo ships floating around the inner system, refusing to land, and a colony ship out beyond the Oort cloud, going full tilt. I think I'm doing it wrong :P

On the upside, I have mining colonies shipping minerals back to earth from the moon, venus, mars and titania, so the resource shortage on earth is fairly mollified.

One thing though... make sure you dont put load mass driver from earth on cycled orders :( I lost about fifty factories and mines, and some pop when an overzealous cargo ship nicked Earth's mass driver while a couple of hundred ton mass packets were on-route.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:01 pm »

One thing though... make sure you dont put load mass driver from earth on cycled orders :( I lost about fifty factories and mines, and some pop when an overzealous cargo ship nicked Earth's mass driver while a couple of hundred ton mass packets were on-route.

It took me several hours of searching the forums to figure out what a mass driver was, and it certainly wasn't intuitive to have one at each end of a route.

But hey, bombarding Earth is fun, right?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 19, 2010, 12:00:35 am »

I was playing at 1 year  ~ 6 months increments in the beggining.
Then started playing at 3 months when the first surveys were build.

Now I can't even get a 30 days increment, even with auto-turn on.
So many things happening...
Not a bad thing though, but sometimes it's annoying when it breaks the increment for something not that interesting..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 19, 2010, 01:03:59 am »

Did anyone else perk up at that part in the tutorial where (I think) it said multiple players could start on the same planet? That would be totally awesome.

Yeah it is possible. Steve did do a good one. I was thinking we could do a comunity game like he did. 

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewforum.php?f=16

(and end in a nuclear war)  :)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 19, 2010, 03:28:38 am »

I read through that campaign in one day. Damn addictive. You should also read the Six Powers campaign by Kurt in the fiction section. Glory to the Reich!

As for me, I have given up on actually playing the game. It works fine and dandy, but the resolution is a problem. I tried a lot of options (different drivers, Powerstrip, ResizeEnabler, hooking on a different monitor), but it simply will not work. Which is a damn shame because it really looks like a hugely complicated and thus fun game. And Fun too. I'll try again once I get a new desktop pc.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 19, 2010, 10:37:58 am »

Yeah it is possible. Steve did do a good one. I was thinking we could do a comunity game like he did. 

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewforum.php?f=16
(and end in a nuclear war)  :)
Just remember until everyone has done there turn that they can't press any button to advance the time since it will cause time to advance permentantly for all.

I know because I put multiple race on same planet just for fun of it and to have fun destory their ground force. Though on same planet I have not figure out how fire missle at other races yet. :(

Though I having lot of fun playing around in commander table of database :P
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 19, 2010, 10:45:04 am »

*Last time increment 0:12:00:00
*Dracon Empire | Civilian Contact | Vanheim | Contact Update for TP: Eygustison Chariot 002 Thermal Signature Detected! Strength 200.

"Yes, thank you I know I have Civilians flying around my home system, thanks"

*Last time increment  1:12:00:00
*Dracon Empire | Civilian Contact | Vanheim | A strength 200 thermal contact associated with TP: Eygustison Chatiot 002 has been lost.

"I'm sure it's just on it's way to a colony, it's a colony ship.  Just because you lost track of it at the edge of sensor range doesn't mean it has been converted to space dust, chill out man."

*Last time increment  0:6:00:00
*Dracon Empire | Civilian Contact | Vanheim | New Contact!  Contact ID: Eygutison Wagon 001, Class ID: Civilian Wagon, RaceID: Civilians, TCS 650 (Existing TP)  T500 (Existing)

"Oh comon! You know it's not a new contact! It's that same damn freighter that has been going back and fourth from the colonies for 5 years now!"

*Last time increment  1:00:00:00
*Dracon Empire | Civilian Contact | Minas Tirith | Contact Update for TP: Eygustison Chariot 002 Thermal Signature Detected! Strength 200.

"See!? SEE!? Your fired! Give me somebody who isn't so panicky please!"
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 19, 2010, 01:38:53 pm »

Don't know what's up with your pulses, but I can get 30 day increments in even with civvies hopping in and out of server range. I put things on auto pulse and it... just works.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 19, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »

I wonder if it would help if you turned your civilian's transponders on? I wouldn't know. I haven't gotten far enough in the game to have any civilian ships hopping around.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 19, 2010, 04:41:19 pm »

You can set "no contact events for this system" option in the system map tab "contacts".

Maybe that will alleviate the sensor spam.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:45:14 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 19, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »

Now that I'm back from school I'll try that.  I have military ships hanging out at every jump into the system so it's not like I'll get surprised by anything.

And that no civilian contacts seems to help, something is still causing interrupts which could be unrest warnings on a colony just barely at it's supported population, It keeps talking about unrest raising by 1/10000th of a percent then going back up because there is no more reason for unrest.  But I don't think that is interrupting because a couple times I got an unrest increasing and decreasing from the same colony in one time increment.  but at least it actually goes for a couple days at a time now.  Thank you for telling me about that checkbox, that will cut down on the spam significantly.

As far as I know the transponders are already on, it's whatever the default is.  Minas Tirith is the only place that still even has a hint of a hostile presence. If they automatically turn them off when near an enemy. It's just one Thermal 10 colony on one of the planets that has one of my new 10 thousand ton cruisers orbiting it until I figure out how to deal with it.

Actually that thermal 10 enemy colony might be it, it could be picking up my colony ships and freighters and all that heading to the nearby planet and the precursors are generating an interrupt so they could think about it a little bit before realizing they have no ships in system and couldn't do a damn thing about it if they tried.

Now to figure out how to obliterate an enemy colony.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 19, 2010, 05:23:07 pm »

Now that I'm back from school I'll try that.  I have military ships hanging out at every jump into the system so it's not like I'll get surprised by anything.

And that no civilian contacts seems to help, something is still causing interrupts which could be unrest warnings on a colony just barely at it's supported population, It keeps talking about unrest raising by 1/10000th of a percent then going back up because there is no more reason for unrest.  But I don't think that is interrupting because a couple times I got an unrest increasing and decreasing from the same colony in one time increment.  but at least it actually goes for a couple days at a time now.  Thank you for telling me about that checkbox, that will cut down on the spam significantly.

I think a change in unrest will not interupt the turn, but it will turn off the auto turn. That means you'll go up to 30 days and then get a message. That's how it seems to work for my officers too.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 19, 2010, 07:24:04 pm »

Damn aliens seem to be everywhere I explore. :(

Started without any engine, power or jumptech
Also with a small population, that reduces the number of installations you start out with as well.

Now I lowered my race's tolerances halfway through the game and now home needs to be terraformed because we now got a severely negative pop growth. I fucked myself. ><
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1347