Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817758 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:48 am »

Gonna do a long AAR for my let's play tomorrow, long story short I made first contact, and first contact involved me receiving a gift of incoming missile fire warnings, so I ordered my ship the hell out of that system.

Yay, it's only one jump away from Sol -___-
Epic AAR is Epic.

Gabeux, build infrastructure planetside, and ship in mines and industry capacity in equal proportions, up to 10 million eventually hopefully. Then you'll have a industry something like earths,

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2010, 02:15:25 am »

Ten years in now and I've managed to create a system of jump gates spanning 22 systems :).
With or without cheats? I wouldn't blame ya though. It does take quite a long time ingame, if your not solely headset on exploration.

Without  :), I have 9 jump gate constructors running around and setting them up.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:06 am »

That's kinda sounding like humanity in Mass Effect opening gates all over the place and making holes for hostiles to fly in.  Are your jumps defended?  D:

Still tempted very much to play this, but even if it installs correctly, it'll probably die mid-play, and then I will rage internally.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2010, 08:49:57 am »

Heh, I've taken Conventional Start too and I've been playing 20 ingame years yet barely have 2 geosurvey ships in the Sol system and a gravsurvey ship being built atm. It *does* feel like I'm doing stuff waaaay to slowly, which, like Chtulhulu pointed out, is quite the opposite of what most every other similar game expected out of you.

But meh, its fun like that, so I wont bother trying to hurry up. I just hope that no aliens with god-like technology will just appear and wipe me out...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2010, 11:01:49 am »

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUU-

Not only can you customize the chain of command, you can make medals, complete with icons, and then award them to your officers for doing well.

There's a "Political bonus" that doesn't do anything except waste skill points, to represent officers who use their connections to get appointments they shouldn't have.

This is crazy.  /tg/ makes fun of Toady for his attention to detail, they'd probably try to blow up this guy's house.
Shoes...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2010, 12:06:02 pm »

Yeah, I awarded my awesome energy-weapons-researcher guy (35% bonus and administration level 4) that single-handedly developed all my empire's weapons a custom-made medal.

BTW, I think I found a bug: The cycle commands checkbox in the F12 fleet menu duplicates the commands infinite times instead of just once when they are done, and it gives me a buffer overflow error when i try to open the page of a fleet that i activated the checkbox for or when I advance time while a fleet has the checkbox activated... good thing I had some backups to rollback too :)
<@Akroma> eh

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »

How did you actually award the medal?  I tried to create one but I couldn't award it.
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2010, 12:51:51 pm »

Oh, I posted it on /tg/. Their reaction was one of amazement at the depth, disbelief at the archaic install, and "there's no way it could have more spreadsheets than eve onlin-FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK".

Hahah.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:54 pm »

How did you actually award the medal?  I tried to create one but I couldn't award it.

Once you create (and save) a medal, click on an officer, click "award medal" button (one of the buttons on the bottom of the screen), this changes the right side of the screen into a list of possible medals. Choose one, then click "make award" under the list.
<@Akroma> eh

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:15 pm »

I created and saved the award, but it won't show up in the list when I go to give one.
Shoes...

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:14 pm »

While this feels like a spreadsheet with a makeup to look like a game I feel compelled to keep playing. I just surveyed mars and venus, now I'm trying to figure out why my shipyards refuse to build colony ships. (I did find out how to design engines at least...)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2010, 01:02:31 pm »

I wonder if anyone else had any issues with unreadable small font at F9 screen? Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or is it because of Linux/Wine and I just don't know how to fix it? (This screen was not even loading before I downloaded and registered msstdfmt.dll ("wine regsvr32 msstdfmt" from console).

All other screens have completely readable font everywhere. Frankly speaking I can play without F9 screen but would like to have workarounds to all bugs and annoyances wherever possible.

P.S. There is also game crashing bug every few months related to ActiveX that I don't think is fixable in my case but just restarting Aurora allows me to continue from just before the bug. So far there were no apparent database corruptions as a result of essentially "Ctrl-Alt-Del"ing out of it.

P.P.S. SteveW: I registered on your official forums but have some doubts whether reporting bugs that are likely to be linux-specific is appropriate there.

a.f.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

Guys, I don't know, maybe it only happens on my machine but it seems quite weird to me - if you change some existing ship's design e.g. adding more engines or weapons, immediately in Ships window -> Ship Design Display you can see that the actual ships of this class gained these components and moreover they can use them in game like no refit or anything was needed. (playing default Terran Campaign)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2010, 01:43:11 pm »

I guess that'd be a bug.

This game's lack of proper documentation annoys me. The wiki is lame, has only one lame tutorial, and the forums are messy. Pity. I'm going back to the dwarves for the time being...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2010, 02:03:23 pm »

Guys, I don't know, maybe it only happens on my machine but it seems quite weird to me - if you change some existing ship's design e.g. adding more engines or weapons, immediately in Ships window -> Ship Design Display you can see that the actual ships of this class gained these components and moreover they can use them in game like no refit or anything was needed. (playing default Terran Campaign)
That sounds like a pretty big bug. Looking into it on my machine right now.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1347