Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817826 times)

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2010, 10:16:56 pm »

That's ruined two of my games, Chicken Launcher.  I don't think it's because of any NPR events or anything, since it occurred at the same rate for several in-game years.  Did you by any chance force-quit your game before this happened?  Both times it happened to me, the game hung and I had to do that, and when I started it up again it would only increment in the same incremental times you mention.  Unfortunately I know of no way to fix it, but what I've been doing is backing up the Stevefire.mdb file (which I'm told is where everything is saved in) every couple years.  It's worked so far; I have yet to experience any hanging or turn stops like that since.

Also, the menus thing is normal - apparently it's designed to turn all menus that color in order to display it like that.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2010, 10:19:41 pm »

How exactly do you remove gas from an atmosphere?
!!&!!

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:11 pm »

That's ruined two of my games, Chicken Launcher.  I don't think it's because of any NPR events or anything, since it occurred at the same rate for several in-game years.  Did you by any chance force-quit your game before this happened?  Both times it happened to me, the game hung and I had to do that, and when I started it up again it would only increment in the same incremental times you mention.  Unfortunately I know of no way to fix it, but what I've been doing is backing up the Stevefire.mdb file (which I'm told is where everything is saved in) every couple years.  It's worked so far; I have yet to experience any hanging or turn stops like that since.

Also, the menus thing is normal - apparently it's designed to turn all menus that color in order to display it like that.

I think I might have force-quit it.

*sigh* ah well, I was about 1 year in and getting nowhere anyway :P

new empire go!
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »

How exactly do you remove gas from an atmosphere?
If you're terraforming by terraformer buildings, you do it from the environment tab of the F2 screen. Simply having the "Add gas to Atmosphere" unchecked and have the Maximum atm # set to a lower number than what it is currently for that gas. Hit "Save Atm" and it'll start until it reaches that level.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:28 pm »

Automated turns did absolutely nothing and as far as I am awhare nothing is happening anywhere near me.  Just a pair of survey ships that I finally decided deserve to come home slowly inching their way back home thanks to the slow time speed.

Now that I think of it, could there be an AI that I haven't detected someplace in system?  I don't exactly have any real scanning tech.

And the firefox menus on my end have just been taken over by the color scheme too, it's the apocalypse!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »

P.S. Automated turns seems to do absolutely nothing for me.  Only things showing up in the event log is my servey ships complaining about being bored, but they've been floating around alone in deep space for 10 years now, so I doubt that's causing it.

Survey ship complaining about being bored might break the cycle. If it has a special order set to survey either give it something to do or turn off that order, otherwise the turn will break as soon as it hits a sub-pulse. That goes for any order, either special or normal, that a ship can't complete.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:48:10 pm by Magnnus »

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:38 pm »

One year in is pretty early without cheating or an advanced start - I'm about ten years in and haven't gotten further than a couple off-world mining operations and a couple extrasystem research task groups.

Also, if you need to know if the interrupts are because of NPR activity or a glitch, turn on SystemMaster (or whatever it was), forward time a little, and check the Event Log - if it mentions the activities of another race, it's normal, and if it doesn't, your game is fucked, sorry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2010, 10:32:43 pm »

Aha you were right.  While I had ordered everybody to come back to the homeworld, one of my freighters transporting materiels apperantly got stuck in a loop of repeatedly orbit homeworld commands.  Because I forgot to turn off the looping check after telling it to go orbit the homeworld until I tell it otherwise.

It would have a command to orbit the homeworld and get there and start orbiting happily, then since the commands were set on a loop it would be told to orbit again, and again, and again, causing time to slow to a crawl when it stopped to say it finished..
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2010, 10:43:49 pm »

P.S. Automated turns seems to do absolutely nothing for me.  Only things showing up in the event log is my servey ships complaining about being bored, but they've been floating around alone in deep space for 10 years now, so I doubt that's causing it.

I think if I were the captain of a noncombat ship that had been out to "sea" for ten years, I would start hosting orgies and messing with the settings on the active scanners to microwave nonessential crew members.  We would be far from bored.

One year in is pretty early without cheating or an advanced start - I'm about ten years in and haven't gotten further than a couple off-world mining operations and a couple extrasystem research task groups.

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this, having been subjected to other Turn-based strategy games' "Accomplish as much as possible every turn or die" paradigm.  I see that I won't be able to make geological survey vessels until 2027 and for a bit I freak out.

The tutorial didn't help with this, since it uses cheats to quickly acquaint you with stuff.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:52:00 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2010, 10:55:54 pm »

I think I may have found some kind of bug with using the Cycle Orders check box.

I hit it, and did a 30 day step, and it doesn't seem to want to finish the calculations. Program is not responding and all that stuff. Anyone else encounter that?

Edit: Ah, I get it. It's filling the command list with commands and the amount of time it takes for them to be completed is too long for Aurora to handle.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:59:43 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2010, 10:59:13 pm »

stuffs
Yeah, on my Let's Play game it's going to take me a little over a year to build my first ship.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2010, 11:07:01 pm »

Alright! Started on year 2025 and it is currently june of 2040 and I now have my first ship in an alien system!  It is currently building the jumpgate back to my homeworld cheerfully.

Unfortunately I spent all that time creating the jump gates for... no asteroids and a pair of gas giants around an orange star.  Woo?

All the jump gates I found in my home system led here though, so I guess I didn't have any other options.  But yay! I am now officially an interstellar race!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2010, 11:10:23 pm »

The gas giants are actually a pair of massive amorphous beings who've been asleep for so long their bodies have been spun into spheres by the star's gravity.  Destroy the gates, leave the system, never go back.
Shoes...

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2010, 11:14:29 pm »

Hint: Send out jump ships (small ships with jump engines) with maybe an entourage of one or two survey ships before you build gates.  One jump ship can bring along with it several (depending on the jump engine specs) regular ships of equal or smaller tonnage than the engine can handle (again, see the specs for details), so that you don't waste all your time building gates to nowhere.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2010, 11:17:41 pm »

Ten years in now and I've managed to create a system of jump gates spanning 22 systems :).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 1347