Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814474 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19785 on: May 07, 2020, 09:25:05 am »

Survey sites are suggested places to send ground survey teams and their chance of discovering new deposits.

Odd, I thought you had a chance for surveys at every planet.

You did in VB6 (Or possibly you didnt and it only SEEMED to). Nowadays, your geological survey vessels will pick up the level of potential a body has, allowing you to send survey vehicle ground forces out to run an actual survey

From Steve:
Once the orbital survey of a system body is completed, the potential for a further ground survey will be revealed (None, Minimal, Low, Good, High, Excellent).

Just to clarify that this has indeed changed in C#.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19786 on: May 07, 2020, 11:36:41 am »

I didn't see where or if it was mentioned previously, but Steve (re)added the ability to draw a range line on the main display. Hold Shift, left-click and drag to create a line that also displays how long the line is. For example drawing a line from Sol to Earth will be around 150 million kilometers.

I discovered this when I realized I never invented and passive EM or thermal sensors and needed to see how far they would actually see. For a laugh I decided to try it and see if it was actually in yet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19787 on: May 07, 2020, 11:42:29 am »

That was posted here with other things added in 1.9:http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11010.0

Changes coming in 1.10 so far:http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11306.0

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19788 on: May 07, 2020, 01:00:28 pm »

Anybody know of any good tutorials? I started playing this game but I was sorta turned off by the confusing UI. When starting DF the UI was not as much of a problem with the good quickstart tutorial on the DF wiki, but the tutorial on the Aurora wiki (at least the one I looked at) was more confusing and seemed not as complete.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19789 on: May 07, 2020, 01:03:57 pm »

Anybody know of any good tutorials? I started playing this game but I was sorta turned off by the confusing UI. When starting DF the UI was not as much of a problem with the good quickstart tutorial on the DF wiki, but the tutorial on the Aurora wiki (at least the one I looked at) was more confusing and seemed not as complete.

There's no real tutorial for C# though it may help to look at the fairly exhaustive list of changes between VB6 -> C# which is available in an organized format on the pentarch forum.

That said... frankly the UI is a nightmare, not necessarily for designing ships or looking at the maps or settlement statistics, but in terms of logistics and keeping track of production and managing about 1000 different things... I would actually say it's considerably clunkier than DF.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19790 on: May 07, 2020, 01:14:27 pm »

Had my first combat in C# earlier. Proceeding with all sensors active and my antimissiles set up for 3-per-missle engagements, they never fired. I didn't save, and am going to run the engagement again more carefully to see what exactly is up.
With the caveat that I haven't used AMMs in my game yet:
1) Are the missile launchers connected to a fire control?
2) Are the AMMs you want to fire connected to the fire control?
3) Have you dragged over a defensive fire mode to your fire control?
4) Do your active sensors have the resolution to actually see the incoming fire (RES 1)?

The AMM ship in question. The range on the AMMs was a result of not being able to crank the hit chance up very much (I need to do some more power boost research) if I cut the fuel down any further, so I decided to give myself a chance for multiple salvos. Note that both sensors and fire control are Resolution 1

Code: [Select]
FF Xargi  (Anubis-A class Frigate)      7,497 tons       165 Crew       930.7 BP       TCS 150    TH 250    EM 0
1667 km/s      Armour 1-34       Shields 0-0       HTK 60      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 9      PPV 19
Maint Life 7.83 Years     MSP 698    AFR 50%    IFR 0.7%    1YR 20    5YR 302    Max Repair 120 MSP
Magazine 790   
Captain of the List    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Morale Check Required   

Ingram-Barber Aero Engines Mark 3 DU (4)    Power 250.0    Fuel Use 98.99%    Signature 62.5    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 820,000 Litres    Range 19.9 billion km (138 days at full power)

Little Weapon Systems Mark IC CMR (30)     Missile Size: 1    Rate of Fire 3000
Little Weapon Systems Mark 1 CML (10)     Missile Size: 1    Rate of Fire 30
Booth-Abbott Sensor Systems Mark 3 FCR  (1)     Range 27.6m km    Resolution 1
Gregory Weapon Systems Mark 1 CM (790)    Speed: 14,400 km/s    End: 18.9m     Range: 16.4m km    WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 48/28/14

Booth-Abbott Sensor Systems Mark 3 Search Radar (1)     GPS 120     Range 13.8m km    MCR 1.2m km    Resolution 1

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

The launchers appear to be set up correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6plq4t43kfccti/FC.png
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19791 on: May 07, 2020, 03:21:36 pm »

Survey sites are suggested places to send ground survey teams and their chance of discovering new deposits.

Odd, I thought you had a chance for surveys at every planet.

You did in VB6 (Or possibly you didnt and it only SEEMED to). Nowadays, your geological survey vessels will pick up the level of potential a body has, allowing you to send survey vehicle ground forces out to run an actual survey

From Steve:
Once the orbital survey of a system body is completed, the potential for a further ground survey will be revealed (None, Minimal, Low, Good, High, Excellent).

Just to clarify that this has indeed changed in C#.

Dammit, I looked for this in the change log too.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19792 on: May 07, 2020, 03:25:18 pm »

The launchers appear to be set up correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6plq4t43kfccti/FC.png
Hmm... only other thought would be - do you have to set the fire control to "open fire" for AMMs to work? (You definitely do for ASMs, but I don't know for AMMs) They turn orange (from the green shown in your picture) when they're set to fire.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19793 on: May 07, 2020, 03:44:18 pm »

That's a thought - it wasn't necessary in VB6, but that might be a change. I'll test that.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19794 on: May 07, 2020, 04:32:18 pm »

For Area Defense or AMMs to work, the fire control should be set to open fire.

From the C# changes thread over at Aurora forums:
Quote from: Steve
In C# Aurora, fire controls set to 'Final Defensive Fire' or 'Final Defensive Fire (Self Only)' will fire on hostile missiles, regardless of whether the fire control is set to 'Open Fire'. Fire controls set to Area Mode or for AMMs will only fire defensively when that fire control is set to 'Open Fire'.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19795 on: May 07, 2020, 05:06:44 pm »

Thanks. I missed that.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19796 on: May 07, 2020, 07:18:43 pm »

How do I drop fuel off at a colony? Does the ship need a Refueling System to deliver it? I placed some sorium harvesters around a gas giant, with the idea of sending tanker ships to pick up and drop it off back at Earth, but I don't have an order for delivering the fuel. Neither does setting a standing order to deliver fuel when tanks are full work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19797 on: May 07, 2020, 08:05:30 pm »

You have to have the ship designated as a tanker and have a refueling system.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19798 on: May 07, 2020, 10:30:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok, I think I made sense of this spaghetti.  Started with 3 JP in Sol and was happy for the 10 years where the only systems something could come from was Homestead and Castrovia, but then then Keid(2 JP at the time) connected back to Sol.  Then Brighton connected to Sol, then Liao connected to Keid, then Shipka to Sol, then Shensi to Sol.

Started with 3 now at 7 JP in Sol.  Lost track of some of the loops since they overlapped old lines, only reason I noticed was old routes that were stabilized didn't show that way on the galaxy map.  Just need to work out the routes but got a nice web I guess.  Now I just have to finally figure out which way the race that popped up in Sol 5 years ago came from.

This is the worst mess of a map I have ever had playing Aurora.  Not even 20 systems in yet.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19799 on: May 07, 2020, 11:18:55 pm »

Wow, that's quite the tangle. It looks like you can finesse it into not having any overlapping transit lines if you shift things around some.

On the plus side, that should be great for transit times - everything's currently within 3 jumps of Sol. Depending on where all the new JPs popped up, I'd recommend stabilizing all the gas giant LPs, plus Earth (which'll take a while), to maximize time savings.
Pages: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 1347