Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1271 1272 [1273] 1274 1275 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812989 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19080 on: November 07, 2017, 06:28:58 pm »

steve could moneitize this thing, sell it say for five bucks a copy over steam and get into it as a full time dev, i would expect he would make poploads of cash off it

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19081 on: November 07, 2017, 06:40:58 pm »

Doubtful. Most on steam would look at it, say ick!, and leave.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19082 on: November 07, 2017, 06:44:47 pm »

Or complain about slowdowns because "Its a low graphics game why is it slow on my rig with a 1080ti and an {insert really bad CPU here}?".
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19083 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »

Most importantly I don't think he WANTS to be a full time dev.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19084 on: November 08, 2017, 08:46:39 am »

Or complain about slowdowns because "Its a low graphics game why is it slow on my rig with a 1080ti and an {insert really bad CPU here}?".

after the C++ rewrite, but i acknowledge that it appears his not into a full time dev gig so its not likley to ever get off the ground - but even to the wider market once its done, he could sell it for five bucks a pot, make some money off it and 99% of the bolted on players would probably cough up for it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19085 on: November 08, 2017, 08:59:41 am »

I almost ran out of fuel... forgot to check stockpiles. Thankfully, I had just enough time to get some sorium harvesters running. Will take a while, but thankfully this was one of the rare games in which a gas giant in Sol has millions of acc. 1 sorium.

Now it is time to start really building up off world mining, and that has no reasonable candidates in Sol. Will need a multi solar system supply chain. And need to build an enormous colonization fleet, I picked the cooling sun disaster. Terraforming can mostly keep up with it, but at some point it will be unliveable.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19086 on: November 08, 2017, 09:08:53 am »

Bioengineering would help buy some time too for cooling sun. While also making it easier to grab some of the other worlds.

Fuel woes are why I dislike military engines, but if you get lucky on the sorium its simply supplying the fleet rather than constantly looking for more sorium deposits.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19087 on: November 08, 2017, 09:32:52 am »

I have 205 million sorium acc. 1 on Uranus, it will just be a matter of setting up tanker fleets but I have effectively unlimited fuel.

Will refinery tech also improve sorium harvester modules? it would be nice to have my huge harvesters a bit more effective.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19088 on: November 08, 2017, 09:38:29 am »

Well according to this page http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Sorium_Harvester they do get upgraded with technology. So I would assume yes.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19089 on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:26 am »

Now I just need to set up the tankers with delayed orders... that, or ramp up production to the point that they can run non stop.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19090 on: November 08, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »

Turns out the precursors I spotted have at least two other ship classes I hadn't encountered. Based on the fact that the listening post I set up spotted one of them (which has a 380.16m km sensor range and explains a lot about how they could hit me from outside my sensor range) and also identified one of the wrecks as that same class. Still think the 71 shot volleys came from a PDC though but it could be that the new ship (same tonnage as last two known types) is just a missile platform with a big sensor and fire control.

Either way I will claim this system as my own.

Shipboard terraformers are handy especially given the land based version requires a larger ship to move anyway.
Precursors typically spawn two orbital platforms around "core" planets -- an AMM beast and a Gauss gun beast. The AMM is annoying as hell. Until you have some good CIWS tech, avoid at all costs -- they'll sandblast the armor off even your heaviest vessels. And the Gauss platform will shred anything that gets in close, like fighters or even larger vessels. Best option is to tech up your CIWS, put plenty of them on, and either obliterate them with your own anti-ship missiles or close into laser range (but not Gauss range) and tear them apart at your leisure.

The ground troops are barely a speedbump, in my experience. But that could be because I invest a fair bit of tech and resources into ground troops, despite the fact that the AI pretty much never invades. Makes for good RP though.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19091 on: November 08, 2017, 03:00:47 pm »

Well Hopefully the 27750t wreck was the gauss one because the AMM platform is clearly still there. No contact other than a 9750t sensor ship (probably armed, passive contact only, also about twice as fast as their missile ships) and I plan on bringing a lot of AM weapons for the attack.

They might be out of ammo, I know they don't have any ASMs left (and just threw 5x as many AMMs instead) but whatever lobbed 71 strong AMM volleys did stop firing after about 3 minutes and their warships attempted to ram my destroyers instead of grab more missiles.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19092 on: November 09, 2017, 05:53:40 am »

Okay this is odd.
Code: [Select]
Hunt class Superfreighter    40 900 tons     158 Crew     869.6 BP      TCS 818  TH 1500  EM 0
1833 km/s     Armour 1-105     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 13    Max Repair 75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 36 months    Spare Berths 0   
Cargo 25000   

300 EP Commercial Ion Drive (5)    Power 300    Fuel Use 7.07%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1 250 000 Litres    Range 77.8 billion km   (491 days at full power)

Armstrong-Craig CIWS-120 (2x8)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR39-R100 (1)     GPS 3600     Range 39.6m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Why is it telling me that is a commercial active sensor? Not going to actually use an active sensor on a freighter of course but none of the others show when I click "commercial only".

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19093 on: November 09, 2017, 06:04:20 am »

CIWS is a bit misleading. You're far better off designing turrets with gauss cannons then using CIWS, as a fleet covered with turrets will all defend each other. CIWS only defend the ship they're attached to, leading to the rest of the fleet sitting their dumbly as one ship is sandblasted to scrap at a a time.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19094 on: November 09, 2017, 06:08:49 am »

I know what CIWS is for and that its not for warships and such. That is a freighter and cannot use actual weapons yet it might come under fire if part of a convoy during actual wartime.

I do have a Gauss turret with similar capabilities as the CIWS turret that I put on actual warships instead.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
Pages: 1 ... 1271 1272 [1273] 1274 1275 ... 1347