Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812941 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19095 on: November 09, 2017, 06:25:47 am »

Yeah, I was replying to RedKing's advice. If your freighter ends up in range of a Precursor sandblaster base, it's going to have a bad time unless it's more CIWS then ship.

That said, if it ends up in range of a sandblaster base, you didn't do your initial recon correctly.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19096 on: November 09, 2017, 06:31:19 am »

Oh right. Yeah I know where that precursor base is and the freighter is going anywhere but inside that things range. Reckon I need something like 140~ shots per 5 seconds to have a chance of getting close (assuming it has ammo).
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19097 on: November 09, 2017, 07:12:34 am »

Okay this is odd.
Code: [Select]
Hunt class Superfreighter    40 900 tons     158 Crew     869.6 BP      TCS 818  TH 1500  EM 0
1833 km/s     Armour 1-105     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 13    Max Repair 75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 36 months    Spare Berths 0   
Cargo 25000   

300 EP Commercial Ion Drive (5)    Power 300    Fuel Use 7.07%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1 250 000 Litres    Range 77.8 billion km   (491 days at full power)

Armstrong-Craig CIWS-120 (2x8)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR39-R100 (1)     GPS 3600     Range 39.6m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Why is it telling me that is a commercial active sensor? Not going to actually use an active sensor on a freighter of course but none of the others show when I click "commercial only".

Commercial ships can use very small active sensors. I make a habit to slap them on some of my commercial vessels, for last-ditch target-painting and/or decoy maneuvers in case the proverbial fan finds itself 6 feet deep in a pit of manure.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19098 on: November 09, 2017, 07:17:14 am »

The precursor bases tend to have a lot of ammo, but a lack of fire controls. Which means they have trouble downing missiles sent in lots of salvos. If you have say a anti-FAC fire control with a longer range than those AMMs then it would be a good idea to use that as well as your ASM fire controls to split your missiles more.

Btw, that last game I mentioned? With some nice stuff close by? Well, I have no idea how they did it, because I didn't fly my explorers back to Sol when I encountered them, but some spoilers of the meson toting kind I found 2 jumps from home came and wrecked earth before I even thought about building a navy. Not that that would have mattered much.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19099 on: November 09, 2017, 07:27:39 am »

Unfortunately the only missiles I have that I know outrange their AMMs are size 8 ASMs (193m km) all of my other missiles are 41m km or less. I guess I could try and make a 84m km anti-FAC missile.
But after removing their last ship and finding out what exactly they still have. Oh and they have rank 40 ECM, so I'll be researching ECCM before attacking their base.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19100 on: November 09, 2017, 07:29:25 am »

The way to counter ECM ist bigger fire controls.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19101 on: November 09, 2017, 07:38:58 am »

Well, I had my first battle with precursors. 3 carriers, 14 fighters each, 4 missiles on each fighter.

one squadron causes the game to crash if launched, the other 2 couldn't get in range in time. carriers were all destroyed and fighters are stranded on another solar system. I have no jump ships and I am not going to build a jumpgate...

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19102 on: November 09, 2017, 07:40:41 am »

I still want ECCM and ECM of my own. I know I can have bigger MFCs to counter it but I cannot for my BFCs because they are max size at the moment.

Will still be important for my stealth ships (okay right now stealth is simply 50% thermal sig with no active sensors but still) in the future.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19103 on: November 09, 2017, 07:46:19 am »

ECM does not really help with stealth, as it doesn't reduce the detection range of sensors, it just scrambles fire controls.

In my new game the ground bound geo team found nothing on: Luna, Mars, Venus, Merkur, Titan, Europa, Io, Ganymede and Callisto. From now on they shall oversee the automatic mines on Venus.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19104 on: November 09, 2017, 07:52:43 am »

Which lets them get closer before being hit. Okay its useless for a scout but for raiders and infiltration ships its handy. And for capital ships where tonnage isn't as concerning but survival is due to build costs and time.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19105 on: November 09, 2017, 07:54:07 am »

Yes, and I use it myself. Sometimes some ships with salvaged precursor ECM as well.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19106 on: November 09, 2017, 02:01:51 pm »

Okay, precursor scout ship with big engines and no armour destroyed via pincer manoeuvre. Pity the Missile destroyers wouldn't split their volleys between the two fire controls no matter how many times I set them to. And my cruisers for some reason are assigning their Gauss cannons to the long range fire control and the 15cm lasers to the short range control...

And there are two platforms intact over the precursor base, pity. Why the larger wreck is there and what that ship's capabilities were I won't know for a long time.

Also nuked the smaller spybase they had because I could.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #19107 on: November 09, 2017, 02:41:31 pm »

Okay this is odd.
Code: [Select]
Hunt class Superfreighter    40 900 tons     158 Crew     869.6 BP      TCS 818  TH 1500  EM 0
1833 km/s     Armour 1-105     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 13    Max Repair 75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 36 months    Spare Berths 0   
Cargo 25000   

300 EP Commercial Ion Drive (5)    Power 300    Fuel Use 7.07%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1 250 000 Litres    Range 77.8 billion km   (491 days at full power)

Armstrong-Craig CIWS-120 (2x8)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR39-R100 (1)     GPS 3600     Range 39.6m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Why is it telling me that is a commercial active sensor? Not going to actually use an active sensor on a freighter of course but none of the others show when I click "commercial only".
Active sensors of size 1 or smaller are commercial designs.
In my opinion, probably optimal for unarmed exploration ships, or allowing commercial vessels to provide sensor support for fighters, or some other niche use. It's not completely useless as it can let your commercial vessels get detailed information and intel about whatever kills it, if it gets close enough. I think active sensors will pick up ground units, too.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19108 on: November 09, 2017, 02:55:18 pm »

Well I know R1 sensors do pick up ground units at their max range. And R100 missile fire controls can target them at point blank range.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19109 on: November 09, 2017, 02:56:17 pm »

I know what CIWS is for and that its not for warships and such.
C.I.W.S> does have some nice quirks. basically that they are able to shoot at things that they can't see. They are not so great on fleet operations, but if you need to get a fleet through a defended gate then C.I.W.S. is about the only thing that will work to protect the blockade-runners from missiles...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 ... 1347