Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812805 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19020 on: October 31, 2017, 04:11:44 pm »

In the 7 years I've played Aurora I've never trusted the civilians to get stuff done for me.  I might ask em to move some auto mines off a drained world to another, but that usually has to be a half way point since civilian ships will only use so many JPs for pick up to drop off.
Wiki says about private shipping lines: "As of v7.0, Shipping range is unlimited, previously it was limited to 4 jumps."
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19021 on: October 31, 2017, 04:40:37 pm »

Maintenance is annoying, I play with it off since my second go. Will probably play with it again but it mostly seems like a waste of tonnage and resources. Also Mars is pretty close to the jump point to our first system to expand to, so a lot of minerals will be being dropped off at it by cargo freighter before going to Aphoras, I'd say roughly half and half, so keeping it stocked won't be a problem.

Mostly it's just the annoyance of unfun micromanagement. You could do what I do and play with it off but still design ships and give orders as if it were on. Basically the same effect, you're just cutting out annoyances.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19022 on: October 31, 2017, 05:17:18 pm »

Decided to restart after finding a third NPR, as strong as the second one, and equally aggressive... Actually found them as they jumped a ship into my system.

Error 11 Was generated by Aurora.

Division by Zero.

Again and again and again and again. Shut up about it and stop dividing by zero.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:35:43 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19023 on: October 31, 2017, 06:32:38 pm »

Things that will make NPRs attack you with out "reason"
1) Active Sensors:  People don't like it if you stare at them.
2) Proximity:  Parking a ship over a population for any reason is a grave breach of personal space.
3) Having a ship in their home system:  Also a breach of personal space.
4) Having a colony in the same system as them:  Also a breach of personal space.

All these will destroy your standing with a NPR.  Once a NPR sets you to friendly they will largely ignore the above three.  Well it won't hurt your standing as much.  They'll even like you having some military in their systems at allied, most of the time.

A good way to get a NPR to not attack you is to set a diplo team as soon as you make initial contact and also having a ton of ships parked over your home.  Also the computer has to assume by tonnage and other things just like you would on what each ship is.  They don't need to know those 12 3k ton ships sitting on your homeworld are just inactive geo survey ships but they will rate them as some kind of combat ship for their attack yes/no calculations.

Wiki says about private shipping lines: "As of v7.0, Shipping range is unlimited, previously it was limited to 4 jumps."
Huh, forgot about that change.  I honestly only care about commercial shipping as a way to make wealth.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19024 on: October 31, 2017, 08:04:53 pm »

Okay this saves generating the stupid divded by zero error every increment, and a key not unique one every 4-5... Restart, or does someone know how to fix:

Error 11 was generated by Aurora.

Division by Zero.

Error 35602

Key is not unique in collection.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19025 on: November 01, 2017, 12:41:31 am »

Hmm... Is there any chance of my NPR spawned in my home system to not become immediately hostile upon truce-ending? My empire spawned in first, so does that count as them being in MY homesystem, or does them having their homeworld here mean they have a unilateral claim and thus, will rage against me at first chance?

I'd really like to not go to war with them, if possible. :|
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19026 on: November 01, 2017, 02:44:06 pm »

Dafuq, Aurora. Why yu inspire creepy weird scary creation myth for PC & NPR races.

Why gods why
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19027 on: November 01, 2017, 04:24:07 pm »

Maintenance is annoying
play with it off but still design ships and give orders as if it were on. Basically the same effect, you're just cutting out annoyances.
But then you don't have the option to push it too far and play the odds. Do you let the fleet get underpowered or go over maintenance and wait for the next shift to arrive? If you do, will they get back to dock in one piece or will an engine explode? What of the lone ship that survived its battle, but lost an engine and now struggles home as its clock steadily rises... I can't help but feel that you are keeping the tedius design impediment and mission spam while losing all the substantive resource expenditure and all the glorious tales of crews struggling home as their ship crumbles around them.

But meh, to each their own.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19028 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:00 pm »

So I had a confusing issue... I had a fleet of three cargo freighters, holds of 25.000 each (I.E. 1 standard hold) and 1-3 max-size (commercial) nuke-pulse engine(s) each. They were basically identical to the geo-survey fleet I'd already built which was zipping around, the only difference being the engine type (commercial vs military) and the cargo holds vs the geosurvey modules. Plenty of fuel and plenty of maintenance supplies (though oddly enough, this one didn't say anything about how long the maintenance supplies would last like the geosurvey ship did...?)

Except it doesn't move, like... At all. I tell it to move infrastructure from Earth to Mars; nothing. I tell it to simply load infrastructure on Earth; nothing. I tell it to just get over to Mars; Nope! It says it's constantly moving at 1700~ km/s, throughout all that, so why the hell isn't it moving?

I started as conventional so it was a while before I started getting these guys out there in the first place, so it's kinda annoying for it to glitch up like that and I don't notice until 2060s or something; Unless it's not glitching and I need something specifically on freighters that geo-survey ships don't...?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19029 on: November 01, 2017, 10:43:48 pm »

Are your shipyards building any ships to the same Task Group the freighters are in?  Task Groups that are the target of shipyard orders won't follow any of their own orders until the shipyards finish up and let them go; new builds tend to be the most frequent issue with this, since players don't typically move ships they're actively refitting or scrapping.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19030 on: November 01, 2017, 10:48:00 pm »

Mmm. That's probably it. I was expanding the freighter fleet continually; I guess I should be building ships to the Shipyard TG and transfering them over once they've completed instead, then?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19031 on: November 01, 2017, 10:49:56 pm »

Registered a month ago on the aurora forums, admins haven't accepted me yet...  >:(

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19032 on: November 01, 2017, 11:17:12 pm »

Plenty of fuel and plenty of maintenance supplies (though oddly enough, this one didn't say anything about how long the maintenance supplies would last like the geosurvey ship did...?)

Ships with only civilian components are maintenance-exempt.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19033 on: November 02, 2017, 01:03:45 am »

Been wondering, what's the most optimal for fighters? A ton of size 1 missiles, a few size 4s, or two size 8s?

Better example is which is better, the Cerberus or the Minotaur?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm gonna use them in 2:1 ratios in hangars, or maybe 1:1:1 with a third being a gauss fighter, for mobile PD or anti fighter duty.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:20:04 am by StagnantSoul »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19034 on: November 02, 2017, 02:15:34 am »

With the missiles listed, the size-4 version is clearly better. The warheads on the 8s are less than twice the warhead on the 4s, and you have more than twice as many 4s. This means that you not only send more missiles at the defenses (increasing the odds that some will get through), but your total throw weight is much higher (54 warhead points instead of 32). The only edge the 8s have is range, and for fighters the difference between 11 million kilometers and 20 million is relatively minor - they're small enough that you'll probably live to get your shot off either way.

If you really want the big missiles to be viable, drop the fire control down to the 11.5m km version and tweak the missiles to be optimal at that range (cut out half the fuel and replace it with agility or somesuch). See if you can fit in an extra tube or two by doing that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 1347