Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812825 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19005 on: October 31, 2017, 12:09:12 am »

Well, sure, they could put that money into new ships, but then how would they pay for the end-of-year bonuses for the upper management? You can't expect them to cope with the mental anguish of being solely responsible for an interplanetary corporation without a private waterpark can you? I am certain that they will get around to producing the necessary vessels as soon as they have covered their fundamentals...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19006 on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:40 am »

Civilian shipping will have a higher chance to start making ships if there is money to be made for moving trade goods.  You need colonies with pop and/or infra.  Having a colony with pop will give you a higher chance of them making freighters as there will be trade routes.

If the minerals are in the same system use mass drivers.  Leave one on the destination and put enough to move the annual production off the mined rock.  Mass driver destination is set on the mineral tab of the colony window.

Other option is to use your own freighters with looped orders.

In the 7 years I've played Aurora I've never trusted the civilians to get stuff done for me.  I might ask em to move some auto mines off a drained world to another, but that usually has to be a half way point since civilian ships will only use so many JPs for pick up to drop off.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19007 on: October 31, 2017, 12:52:56 am »

Ohhh, it's because I'm being slow colonizing this time, makes sense. Usually I have a colony up and running rather fast.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19008 on: October 31, 2017, 05:00:39 am »

All my first time of ships move at 6000km/s, meaning we can just stick together in a nice ball instead of wishing we hadn't brought Timmy along to the fight etc. Though I have noticed some problems with the firing systems, will buffer that out in the next line of ships. Still haven't met an NPR, four jumps out in two directions, though we still have, I'm guessing, seven systems to get through before we're at the furthest out in each. Finally got some good mining coming in from all the planets in Sol, massive sorium harvesters set up around the gas giants too. Working on a class of size 140k ton cargo hulks, to carry fuel, ammo, radar buoys, and a few sorium harvesters wherever a fleet goes, tagging in the back and just waiting for whatever to be over.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19009 on: October 31, 2017, 05:12:00 am »

Only military ships can carry ammo, so you would need a huge military shipyard for that cargo hulk and it would be hard to maintain.

About the civilian shipping I think they won't build ships unless you have a colony with population.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19010 on: October 31, 2017, 05:31:53 am »

They will eventually build freighters even if no civilians live offworld yet. At least mine did, took ages but they did. Once a colony exists though they will quickly ramp up how many ships there are.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19011 on: October 31, 2017, 06:02:01 am »

Oh... Okay revising that project, a good chunk  of 60k civilian ships and one 4 medium sized missile launcher tons of ammo ship to supply ammo. Currently terraforming mars, going to also draw back all the fleets to Sol to make sure we have the outer systems secured, don't want to find an aggressive NPR just beside us with my military flying well outside the range. Also thinking Mars may be the place to build my BIG capital ships, with Aphoras building the rest of the fleet up to cruiser, battleships and carriers and dreadnoughts going to Mars. No real reason, just because.  :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:06:59 am by StagnantSoul »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19012 on: October 31, 2017, 07:19:50 am »

It is always more logistical effort to build on multiple planets because you have to make sure the minerals are there and you should also have maintenance facilities so the new ships don't rot in orbit while the rest of the fleet gets build.
I am just too lazy to do that, though I would really like to from a RPG standpoint.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19013 on: October 31, 2017, 12:41:52 pm »

Aye, but it also means all your eggs are in one basket if any problems arise.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19014 on: October 31, 2017, 01:44:44 pm »

Maintenance is annoying, I play with it off since my second go. Will probably play with it again but it mostly seems like a waste of tonnage and resources. Also Mars is pretty close to the jump point to our first system to expand to, so a lot of minerals will be being dropped off at it by cargo freighter before going to Aphoras, I'd say roughly half and half, so keeping it stocked won't be a problem.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19015 on: October 31, 2017, 01:54:28 pm »

Then you could drop off everything there, set a minimum level for the mins and send the rest to Aphoras via massdriver.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19016 on: October 31, 2017, 02:42:36 pm »

Eh, the fleet met an NPR! Dude started shooting at us when we started surveying his planet, so yeah he's going to die. He's a lot weaker than us, especially since I just killed his shipyards. Hopefully Temple-A II is a good colony, may take it over, otherwise just plap auto mines etc on it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19017 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:52 pm »

Conquer it! Just think of all the new taxpaying aliens!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19018 on: October 31, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »

Aye! FOR ZE EMPIRE
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19019 on: October 31, 2017, 03:44:25 pm »

Well, learned why he was so easy to beat up: Dude had another NPR fighting him, actually pretty tough, kind of two shot my frigates, now a destroyer and a cruiser are limping home... Time to upgrade/remake the fleet. Doubling the armor on my next designs, also going to work on researching the next level of engines.
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 1347