Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811893 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17385 on: January 26, 2016, 05:41:33 am »

Why don't you just design one? After one point more engines won't do much good. When designing you can answer some of those questions yourself. Just SM needed components and delete them afterwards.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17386 on: January 26, 2016, 05:48:51 am »

Why don't you just design one? After one point more engines won't do much good. When designing you can answer some of those questions yourself. Just SM needed components and delete them afterwards.
It's better to design by thinking of the engines(and fuel tanks) as a percentage of the total mass, rather than thinking on the difference adding a single engine would make. It also makes it easier to design a fleet with the ships all having the same speed, even with differing sizes.

Still, your first point is a good one, it is usually better to just create a throwaway game and experiment, using SM to give you the needed tech and fastbuilding.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17387 on: January 26, 2016, 10:06:11 am »

couldn't you make it in sections and then tractor beam the sections together and get around some of the limits of single ships? of course I would think that it might create a logistical nightmare though.
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17388 on: January 26, 2016, 12:32:54 pm »

couldn't you make it in sections and then tractor beam the sections together and get around some of the limits of single ships? of course I would think that it might create a logistical nightmare though.
I think there may be a maximum fuel capacity per task group I think, though, so that's another limitation. That said, whether you'd actually have that much fuel in the first place is another question entirely.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17389 on: January 26, 2016, 01:39:53 pm »

My first try to terraform Venus. Man, this takes ages. :D
Over 600 effective modules in Orbit now (10 stations with 50 modules each), and it will still take decades. One day those automines can be deployed elsewhere!

My civilians are not very helpful, I wish I could offer them double or triple rates to do my bidding, but they mostly ignore the orders I set up if it is more than two jumps they have to do. The only systems within 2 jumps don't need anything, not even colonists.
I was happy when I saw them in Alpha Centauri, because I thought they'd at least do some intersystem trade now, but it turned out they just ferry furs and precious metals around in AC. I wonder which planet gets the better deal. :D I haven't looked it up, but somehow I think that it is probably the planet that is almost too hot for humans that gets the furs.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17390 on: January 26, 2016, 05:41:19 pm »

My construction brigade just discovered "4x" in a ruined city.

What the hell is "4x"?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17391 on: January 26, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »

What the hell is "4x"?
It's probably 4xinfastructure, and the message got cut off.

It might also be 4x(ship parts) - check your parts page for the planet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17392 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:11 pm »

What the hell is "4x"?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17393 on: January 26, 2016, 06:02:46 pm »

How do I search planetary part stores? NO new installations detected (apart from the vast array of looted fuel and automines they already found)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17394 on: January 26, 2016, 06:27:58 pm »

Gaaaah! My current save is becoming unplayable due to performance issues! It's taking about 45 seconds to do one 5 day turn!

And THIS certainly isn't helping.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe I SHOULD blow them up...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17395 on: January 26, 2016, 06:38:38 pm »

How do I search planetary part stores? NO new installations detected (apart from the vast array of looted fuel and automines they already found)
Looks like some issue with nomenclature, from that.

F2 (Population & Production) -> Select the planet -> Industry tab -> Stockpiles button. If it's a module, it'll be in the Ship Component Stockpile box. If it's a missile, it'll be in the Planetary Missile Stockpile box. Same place that you check how many missiles you have in storage (or parts if you like to micromanage that), and where you scrap/disassemble salvage.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17396 on: January 26, 2016, 10:10:22 pm »

Soo I've actually managed to get past the initial learning curve, and have been doing relatively okay in the Sol system for a while. Though now I'm preparing jump ships to explore outwards. In the unlikely scenario of hostile contact, what kind of weapons should I prepare (as in research)?

So far it looks like I should use Gauss for PD, Mesons if I ever build PDCs, and missiles as a primary weapon, but are there any energy/ballistic weapons good for general combat beyond point defense and missile combat?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17397 on: January 26, 2016, 11:50:47 pm »

Lasers are all round good at everything.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17398 on: January 27, 2016, 07:30:42 am »

And missiles, missiles even at low tech as long you can field more than the enemy or swarm their point defense system should they have good one can kill anything. Make sure you field crazy amount of them if your misiles tech is low.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17399 on: January 27, 2016, 07:57:30 am »

I am a big fan of equipping every ship with a spinal laser. The size cost is not all that bad, and it guarantees that you'll have the ability to cleanup up damaged targets without expending ammunition.

Dedicated laser ships are also useful due to the amount of damage they can do at close range.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1347