Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811714 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17415 on: January 27, 2016, 04:10:49 pm »

Haaaahahaha that sounds like domething for the ownage thread.
But is it ownage if you're nuking your own tenacious survivors of an all-out alien attack on mars?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17416 on: January 27, 2016, 04:13:30 pm »

Oh, so that's still you?  Thought it was the aliens.
In that case, Facepalm Moments You Had Thread..
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17417 on: January 27, 2016, 04:30:05 pm »

Sent another 5-ship group of BBs into the other Invader-infested system neighboring Sol. Sensors filled ~1/3 of the system with a blob of red text and contact dots.

Enemy OOB (as observed on entry:

2x Dragonpunisher (48,550t)
5x Knifelover (48,600t)
2x Facekiller (48,600t)
3x Blooddragger (48,600t -- these are the ones with 24x 50cm Extreme X-Ray lasers that I encountered before; tonnage suggests that they have a lot of similar companions as well)
1x Headhater (32,400t)
6x Beastshooter (32,400t -- pretty sure these are AMM ships)
6x Gretchinpunisher (32,400t)
4x Bloodlover (32,400t)
2x Manmangler (32,400t)
5x Toothwalker (31,900t)
3x Mancutter (16,200t)
1x Grassraper (16,200t -- these are light laser PD ships)
6x Eareater (16,200t)
1x Ghoulraper (16,200t)
1x Fingerhammer (16,200t)
1x Bloodwalker (16,200t)
1x Mancruncher (16,200t)

There's also 10 Fingerpoker 89,650t JCS scattered around the system.

That's a total of 896,500t of commerical shipping and 1.585 million tons of military shipping in that system, pitted against my 350,000t of battleships. Hoo boy. Time to get to work.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:06:36 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17418 on: January 27, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »

How are useful are stealth fighters once the millions of rp is chunked at various stealth reasearch?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17420 on: January 27, 2016, 04:58:06 pm »

heh

Legend has it that the first mate, hearing that 70 crew were aboard and more were coming sniggered, stepped out of his pod, and hit the "Immediate Launch" button.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17421 on: January 27, 2016, 05:00:38 pm »

How are useful are stealth fighters once the millions of rp is chunked at various stealth reasearch?
Kind of not great.  The point of cloaking is to reduce the ships effective size for detection by active sensors.
A so a 6kt with a 80% cloak would be treated as a 1.2kt ship.  A 500 ton fighter with the same cloak tech would be effectively 100 tons.  It's a nice drop until you realize that the AI uses res 1 sensors just like you.

So if you think you can get your ships cross section small enough to get within attack range without being detected, then yeah sure go ahead.

My usual use for cloaking is supreme range bombardment ships.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17422 on: January 27, 2016, 05:16:34 pm »

my planned use would be recon using long range stealth fighters equipped with some sensor buoys before I send in my more resource expensive survey ships. Also I am thinking about using it on a variation of boarding craft for maybe sending them in under cover of a missile swarm since at minimum cross-section size would be over kill for a 500 ton fighter making it appear that it only had 2.5 tons or a hull size of less than .1 which correct me if I am wrong but enemy hit chances are the same for targets 6HS and smaller right?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17423 on: January 27, 2016, 05:18:37 pm »

Well it is good if you make hard hitting low range missiles with thermal sensors, bring a couple ships with tons of box-launcher launch and run aways. Beside that once your detected well... like they said they mostly all have Res 1 sensors so there is no way you can get under that sensor.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17424 on: January 27, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »

Theory: Do carrier groups make good minelayers/buoylayers?
Because whenever you have a new deathbox/snoopbox, you could just give them a cheap-to-produce modified fighter with the new weapon in a box launcher, rather than huge expensive refits.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17425 on: January 27, 2016, 05:27:13 pm »

my planned use would be recon using long range stealth fighters equipped with some sensor buoys before I send in my more resource expensive survey ships. Also I am thinking about using it on a variation of boarding craft for maybe sending them in under cover of a missile swarm since at minimum cross-section size would be over kill for a 500 ton fighter making it appear that it only had 2.5 tons or a hull size of less than .1 which correct me if I am wrong but enemy hit chances are the same for targets 6HS and smaller right?
Chances to hit are the same for all HS profiles, I believe.
That said, in terms of the buoy deployment, wouldn't it be easier to make a missile stage with efficient long range engines, with the buoy as it's second stage? Replace the hullspace used on stealth for additional ammo space and just avoid radar with a berth and fire on sensor destinations from a distance.
It's really hard to find a good use for the stealth, eh? Might need a rework or so. Wonder how the game would pan out if missiles were permitted stealth modules.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:29:48 pm by iceball3 »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17426 on: January 27, 2016, 06:03:26 pm »

I think stealth is mostly useful for passive sensor ships. Make them stealthy, use engines with reduced signature and add large passive sensors to gather information and be well aware of the enemy flightpathes so you can avoid them.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17427 on: January 27, 2016, 06:18:27 pm »

How effective are colliers in combat? Will there be an added delay in reloading?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17428 on: January 27, 2016, 06:37:31 pm »

Colliers are mostly intended to be non-combat vessels, resupplying the fleet after combat.

I dont think they can supply ships while in combat... Same going for tankers.

As for actual combat efficiency, well, depends on its design.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17429 on: January 27, 2016, 07:18:58 pm »

I think stealth is mostly useful for passive sensor ships. Make them stealthy, use engines with reduced signature and add large passive sensors to gather information and be well aware of the enemy flightpathes so you can avoid them.
This, and what Shooer mentioned, with an addendum (supported by independent active sensor platforms).

Stealth fighters are pointless. They're small enough that they're not going to be detected regardless, so you're throwing away fuel, engine power, and firepower, making your fighter bigger, in exchange for lower TH signature &c. on a ship unlikely to be caught on sensors anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 1347