Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809862 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16635 on: January 03, 2016, 11:24:19 pm »

Steve current campaign is going someplace neat. If the Common Wealth does form a unified nation, they'll just outclass all the other powers.
Indeed, but something like that will throw off the balance of power so much that they'll likely face a unified response.  Of course, I'm still pulling for the underdog Manchuria.  First reason: China deserves a break; usually in Steve AARs, it just gets broken.  Second reason: I'm for almost anything that ends with Imperial Japan getting its face smashed in.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:26:04 pm by Culise »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16636 on: January 03, 2016, 11:24:50 pm »

do I need bigger cargo holds, or is it not possible to transfer construction factories to other planets? I colonized Mars, but it can't build anything. And I have no way to send buildings to it, and don't see a research for bigger cargo holds (just the standard ones my freighters use). Or, is it simply needing to wait until Mars has been terraformed?
How many holds do you have in your freighters? As I recall, construction factories are fairly large and need freighters with at least 5 holds.

They need 5 small cargo holds or one standard cargo hold.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16637 on: January 03, 2016, 11:28:02 pm »

do I need bigger cargo holds, or is it not possible to transfer construction factories to other planets? I colonized Mars, but it can't build anything. And I have no way to send buildings to it, and don't see a research for bigger cargo holds (just the standard ones my freighters use). Or, is it simply needing to wait until Mars has been terraformed?
How many holds do you have in your freighters? As I recall, construction factories are fairly large and need freighters with at least 5 holds.

that is weird then. Wonder why they don't complete the task then, they do in fact have one standard cargo hold. One standard is 25,000 in size. I give them the task to do it, wait and then it automatically fails. Is it because I'm telling them to do it as a group? (edit: It tells me same thing with a single one, I give it task to load a construction building and then drop at mars, but it fails to pick it up. And I have plenty of construction buildings)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:31:18 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16638 on: January 03, 2016, 11:37:25 pm »

So looks like I can create something called "Construction Brigade" in maybe the teams window, but I just have diplomacy/espionage/geology and xenologist, don't see any engineering or construction one. But I guess somehow I create a "construction brigade", send it to the planet and it builds stuff.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16639 on: January 04, 2016, 12:04:51 am »

Construction brigades are a military GF unit.  Not a team.  They are larger than a normal GF unit and have no/little combat ability BUt act as if they were a construction factory.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16640 on: January 04, 2016, 12:08:19 am »

Deep Space Maintenance Facilities

In v7.2, ship-based maintenance modules will function in deep space to maintain and overhaul other ships. All maintenance facilities at the same location, even if spread across different ships and different task groups, will all be added together for the purposes of determining how large a ship can be maintained.

If a ship is in the same location as a sufficient quantity of ship-mounted maintenance facilities, it will automatically be maintained. There are no special orders required.

If a task group contains at least one maintenance module, you can set an order to overhaul at that task group. The overhaul still won't take place unless there are sufficient maintenance modules in the location when the ship arrives (just the same as a population).

This, and other recent changes, will allow the creation of deep space outposts capable of maintaining ships. Below is an example of a base to support survey operations. It can maintain and overhaul ships of up to 6000 tons and provides large reserves of fuel and maintenance supplies. As this is a commercial design, you can build it in commercial shipyards. Two of these bases deployed together would be able to support ships of up to 12,000 tons.

Ship-based maintenance facilities cannot build maintenance supply points so these will need to be shipped to the location.

Jump point static defenses are now a go. :3

EDIT: No, wait, forgot morale.  Drat.

EDIT 2: Oh, also, pursuant to the above, do Construction Brigades still handle alien ruins, or did that get spun off to Combat Engineers when the two were split apart.  It slipped my mind for a bit.

EDIT 3: I just learned from the comments thread that recreation modules work in deep space already.  I'd dance a little jig...well, if I could dance.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:15:48 am by Culise »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16641 on: January 04, 2016, 12:28:03 am »

that is weird then. Wonder why they don't complete the task then, they do in fact have one standard cargo hold. One standard is 25,000 in size. I give them the task to do it, wait and then it automatically fails. Is it because I'm telling them to do it as a group? (edit: It tells me same thing with a single one, I give it task to load a construction building and then drop at mars, but it fails to pick it up. And I have plenty of construction buildings)
Check your free cargo space - the most common cause of this is that you already have cargo loaded.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16642 on: January 04, 2016, 12:37:07 am »

I feel I should check this out at some point.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16643 on: January 04, 2016, 12:46:52 am »

Check your free cargo space - the most common cause of this is that you already have cargo loaded.

The problem was me being stupid :P I was using my colonizing ship to try to load it rofl. I didn't even notice I put it in the wrong task group xD my actual cargo freighters are able to pick things up lol.

I do have an actual question that doesn't seem obvious. If I have a mass driver on my sorium harvester, does it automatically send sorium to Earth? or where in the ship/task area do I select it from? Its in cargo, and I read people use the mass drivers to send stuff back to Earth instead of needing freighters to take it back/forth, and maybe I need to just give it time. But I know when using mass drivers on asteroids or planets, you have to select it to send to Earth. But can't find that option, unless its automatic.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16644 on: January 04, 2016, 01:08:46 am »

There's a few problems there.
Firstly mass drivers only work on a colony, they won't do anything inside a cargo hold.
Second you can't make a colony at a gas giant, though there's always convenient nearby moons.
Third and possibly most importantly, harvesters directly convert sorium into fuel. What you need to do us either tell the harvester to unload it's tanks at a colony when full, or give a tanker an order to load fuel from the harvester, then unload at a colony.
Both the tanker and harvester need to be flagged as tankers on the design screen.
For early game a small tanker is sufficient for running fuel from harvesters in sol, use a High efficiency engine to save fuel even though it's slower.
Also in relation to your earlier question, facilities are broken up into pieces if they don't fit the holds on your freighter. So a small cargo hold can take .2 factories for instance.
Other questions: construction brigades act as construction factories, as well as handle ruin recovery, though you need xenobiology teams to check the site out before that. Geo survey will find the ruins in the first place. They also have a slight defence rating.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16645 on: January 04, 2016, 01:53:53 am »

Huh, this looks like it could be pretty fun. Or pretty miserable, I haven't decided yet, but I'm downloading it. Is there a go-to "beginner guide" anywhere? A textbook, or something?

Need to figure out how to circumvent my school's required anti-virus, though. "This file is not allowed because it's been used by too few users." Ugh.

EDIT: Been trying to figure out why I can't assign this A5 person to administrate Earth and it won't go :/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:31:04 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16646 on: January 04, 2016, 03:36:35 am »

Does Earth require an A6 person?

You also need to use Civil Administrators instead of Scientists.  Only mentioned because Scientists also have Administration ratings.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16647 on: January 04, 2016, 03:42:42 am »

You also need to use Civil Administrators instead of Scientists.  Only mentioned because Scientists also have Administration ratings.
I clicked a Civil Admin of A4, and Earth required an A3. Clicked assign at the bottom but nothing happened...is there somewhere else to click to set the assignment?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16648 on: January 04, 2016, 04:06:45 am »

I clicked a Civil Admin of A4, and Earth required an A3. Clicked assign at the bottom but nothing happened...is there somewhere else to click to set the assignment?
Did you click the administrator, the governor of earth, then assign?
If you click governor of earth then Click the administrator the assignment list will jump back down to unassigned.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16649 on: January 04, 2016, 05:43:16 am »

I've finally started on the imperium of man. The Campaign dawns after the unification of earth and mars, the lunar cult of Selene holds onto the gene tech centres needed for massive ground force training. Invasion using conventional tech is the only option. They have lasers and PDCs, but the emperor has the last of his thunder warriors, soon to be launched through space in the trial by fire which will make them the first of the legendary space marines.
That sounds pretty fun. Would you mind sharing your setup so I could replicate it? What colonies did you set up and where?
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 1347