Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810847 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16305 on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:52 am »

Oh, yeah.

The largest missile size you can create in game is 100 (5 HS, 250 tons). A 0,25*size launcher (If you need to reload for a second salvo, you're doing it wrong) would be 25 HS/1250 tons. Now, I guess ten of the beasts should be more than enough, so with 3 reloads (in case you need to exterminate a multi-planet system), you're looking at ~20 000 tons of missile equipment.

After that, it's up to how big you define a "superdreadnought". I think it could be rather awesome to have a big ball of shields, CIWS and armor, so it can slowly get to the planet, not giving a fuck and then turn it into radioactive crap.

You might also want to look into those rad-enhanced warhead.

Other ideas: Troop compartments, a single terraforming module to add toxic gases to the athmosphere, some smaller anti-ship missiles to target recalcitrant PDCs and shipyards...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16306 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:28 am »

Make sure you name the captain Grand Moff Tarkin.   And watch out for fighters!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16307 on: July 14, 2015, 09:20:24 am »

I'm Egyptians, it's not the death star. 

I didn't know you could do missiles with no engines.  Bombs would be better.  I dunno about shields and CIWS and stuff, the idea is that it stays at the home system until it's needed and comes out once the enemy's no longer a threat.  Tankers and colliers can take care of ammo and fuel concerns (to maximize free space for dakka) and maybe a wolf pack of fast frigates for hunting down fleeing civilians.  I am firmly in the "mushrooms are closer relatives than aliens" camp.  If fucking aliens try to fuck with me I am not affording them any benefit of the doubt whatsoever.  No prisoners, no survivors.  I dunno though, we'll see how things actually go.

I'm imagining a bigass pyramid.  Obviously stealth is out the window so may as well paint it white and gold.  Add a reflective sun disc angled to catch the light.  Make sure even the people on the ground can see it coming.

The only problem is that mixing egyptians and scifi just gets ancient aliens shit so there's no good inspirational material on google.
Shoes...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16308 on: July 14, 2015, 10:17:42 am »

What, you've never heard of the movie Stargate, or the TV show Stargate SG1?  TONS of material, just google those things, as the main enemy in the movie and most of the TV show is exactly what you're talking about, down to the Pyramid Ships (which are command ships, but still contain planet-destroying equipment, I believe).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16309 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:46 am »

I'm imagining a bigass pyramid.  Obviously stealth is out the window so may as well paint it white and gold.  Add a reflective sun disc angled to catch the light.  Make sure even the people on the ground can see it coming.

The only problem is that mixing egyptians and scifi just gets ancient aliens shit so there's no good inspirational material on google.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ha'tak

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16310 on: July 14, 2015, 11:53:44 am »

Honestly.  :P

But yes, as Sheb said, something like that (extinction-event bomb launchers and nothing else) would be pretty piddly. I've built things that I could justify calling CLs that were bigger than that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16311 on: July 14, 2015, 03:42:30 pm »

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ha'tak
Ah, the joys of another wiki walk.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16312 on: July 14, 2015, 04:38:22 pm »

Hm. I'm thinking of getting back into this.
Can anyone summarize what's changed since 5.60?

EDIT: nevermind, found the changelogs -- he posts them in a different place now, damnit Steve
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:41:16 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16313 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:58 pm »

Honestly.  :P

But yes, as Sheb said, something like that (extinction-event bomb launchers and nothing else) would be pretty piddly. I've built things that I could justify calling CLs that were bigger than that.

I guess it makes more sense really.  That's how they do it in 40k, just swarms of tiny stealth ships to drop the bombs.  No, I haven't seen Stargate and I'd forgotten about goa'uld. 

Well in that case, what have people actually done with supergiant ships?  I suppose if a planetbuster is easy and small I can afford to just make it a regular flagship with more general capability, instead of just being something you drop on the enemy planet when they're already down.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:20:13 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16314 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:36 pm »

You can even have the 'stealth' part if you put a lot of work into cloaking systems and engine thermal signature reduction tech. Though it's only really viable for sneaky-beaky attacks on planets and passive scouting.

3. Run Resize Enable

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16315 on: July 14, 2015, 11:04:14 pm »

You can even have the 'stealth' part if you put a lot of work into cloaking systems and engine thermal signature reduction tech. Though it's only really viable for sneaky-beaky attacks on planets and passive scouting.
It also comes in handy for things like passive engagement, where you have a carrier is stealthy and deploys it's medium-range parasite ships for engaging the enemy within missile range, and then leaving their active sensor range for refueling.
One significant issue comes in mind with the active sensors though, in that sensors only lose significant range below a threshold, which means the cloaking systems are only actually effective if it puts your ship from above a sensor's weight classification to below it.
The only way you are going to find that out is initial contact, meaning that you have to have an alien civilization far enough and fighting you long enough that you can design a new component to go with a new ship.
Either that, or you're stuck with just using it for smaller vehicles to slip under common active sensor bands to avoid engagement for a longer time hopefully.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16316 on: July 15, 2015, 12:05:56 am »

I'm like 95% certain that that's not true, that the listed size/range pairs are just markers, and that a sensor's effective detection range scales smoothly rather than jumping at arbitrary tonnage marks.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16317 on: July 15, 2015, 01:36:18 am »

The listed range is the maximum range, it only detects contacts of equal or larger size than it's resolution. At smaller sizes it gets significantly less range, it does curve, in general half the contact size gives you something like a quarter the range.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16318 on: July 15, 2015, 08:37:49 pm »

The listed range is the maximum range, it only detects contacts of equal or larger size than it's resolution. At smaller sizes it gets significantly less range, it does curve, in general half the contact size gives you something like a quarter the range.
Yes, I guess what I meant to convey was that if the stealth module doesn't put you somewhere below the particular active sensor's resolution (not too much concerning if the ship was above or below it in the first place), then the effects on active sensor contact range would be negligible, if nonexistent.
For instance, if you have a stealth ship of 20,000 tons with a... Oh, the stealth modules are a lot more efficient than I first thought.
Lowest tech, 75% efficiency, would put it down to 5,000 ton detection if I'm not misinformed.
That said, if that still doesn't manage pass below the resolution threshold of one of the enemy's sensors, then it would be ineffective against it.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16319 on: July 15, 2015, 09:05:46 pm »

Yeah, stealth got a fairly hard nerf back when Steve introduced the minimum sensor signal for any object being missile size 6 or 0.3 HS, a few years back. Before that it was quite possible to design stealth fighters and FAC's that could get well inside of even anti-missile active sensors before being picked up.

It can still be of use in a few places, such as carriers and long range bombardment missile boats. As, as long as their signature drops below the typically high resolution of long range active sensors/fire controls, they can't be targeted until the enemy manages to close the distance, giving time to escape/perform long range bombardment.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1347