Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811699 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16005 on: February 26, 2015, 05:34:54 pm »

I'm not sure about the self only problem, but I have noticed that for final defensive fire quite often my ships have no charge in the capacitors if they fired last round, final defensive fire seems to occur at the very beginning of the round before capacitors recharge.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16006 on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:06 pm »

I'm not sure about the self only problem, but I have noticed that for final defensive fire quite often my ships have no charge in the capacitors if they fired last round, final defensive fire seems to occur at the very beginning of the round before capacitors recharge.

If that's it, it might explain why not everyone is noticing it, since a lot of people use Gauss turrets for beam PD. Were the other people noticing the problem using powered weapons?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16007 on: February 27, 2015, 01:21:07 am »

It's an unusual problem which only presents itself if you have a ship set to final defensive fire, and still have the fire control targeting an individual ship and not holding fire, so on any increment where there was nothing in range for defensive fire at the start of the round, but the targeted ship is in range the weapon will fire at the end of the round, then when the next round occurs the missiles move first, triggering defensive fire which is stopped because of a lack of power.
I think area defence also occurs at the start of the round too, because my tests were constantly spamming me with.... I'm not sure, the log crashes when I set the display number high enough, I'll run anther test tonight.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16008 on: February 27, 2015, 01:36:17 am »

It's an unusual problem which only presents itself if you have a ship set to final defensive fire, and still have the fire control targeting an individual ship and not holding fire, so on any increment where there was nothing in range for defensive fire at the start of the round, but the targeted ship is in range the weapon will fire at the end of the round, then when the next round occurs the missiles move first, triggering defensive fire which is stopped because of a lack of power.
I think area defence also occurs at the start of the round too, because my tests were constantly spamming me with.... I'm not sure, the log crashes when I set the display number high enough, I'll run anther test tonight.

That's not my problem, then. I've noticed several times that when I have a fleet of ships on final defensive fire and missiles hit, sometimes they'll all fire, sometimes only some will fire, and sometimes none will fire. Even when there aren't any enemy ships within millions of kilometers.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16009 on: February 27, 2015, 01:46:18 am »

I wonder, what was the speed of the enemy missiles, and the range of your point defence?
 Because from the wiki:"If the missile can cross the engagement range of a PD beam during a single movement then it will not be engaged. "..
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:49:31 am by MarcAFK »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16010 on: February 27, 2015, 01:55:21 am »

I wonder, what was the speed of the enemy missiles, and the range of your point defence?
 Because from the wiki:"If the missile can cross the engagement range of a PD beam during a single movement then it will not be engaged. "..

That doesn't count for final defensive fire, though. And even if it did, it wouldn't explain why with two identical ships, sometimes one will fire and the other wont.

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16011 on: February 27, 2015, 02:56:14 am »

Does this have anything to do with autofire? Although I can get it to accomplish what I need, I am often perplexed with all the mixing around of fire controls when having autofire enabled.

CIWS, I lurve you. Reliable, and I never leave home without one. Mid-game I always give my scouts a gauss turret  so when combined with my fleet they provide PD. I have always found the other weapon systems less reliable just from my limited experience.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:05:55 am by Dorfs R Fun »

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16012 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:48 pm »

So in my current Aurora Challenge game after 18 empty systems I come across my first alien life. 2 NPRs engaged with each other. One is small but the other one is huge. It emits about 5x the EM signature as my home planet. I could be in trouble. Aurora has surprised me once again.

Edit: aaaannnd, I'm getting overflow error every 5 seconds while these 2 alien civs duke it out. Oh Aurora, you doth protest too much.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:43:55 pm by Dorfs R Fun »

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16013 on: March 01, 2015, 05:34:47 pm »

This design A-OK? Looking to kick some alien arse. I've opted out of putting a large resolution active sensor and TH/EM sensors on the missile cruisers, instead giving them to accompanying scout vessels.

The current enemy ships in the Alpha Centauri system travel at a clean 6000 km/s, so I'm hoping defense will suffice until distance is closed.
The missile cruiser:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't see many problems that remain with the design. I did have a gas-cooled reactor on there for some strange reason, but I've since removed it. I suppose it'd be a good idea to bump up the range on my AMM? And add more AMM lawnchairs?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:37:23 pm by Rinnix »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16014 on: March 01, 2015, 05:50:59 pm »

They're not going to be effective unless you've got a few dozen or so of them. It's one of the big reasons why small missile ships need to be basically specialized launchers strapped onto a drive: you need large salvos to land decent numbers of hits, especially with low tech. Three ASM launchers per ship firing missiles with CTH that low are going to do basically nothing against enemy ships, and three AAM launchers in the same condition will do even less to enemy missile fire.

Split them into dedicated PD and offensive platforms. For a ship between 1k tons and 10k tons, you should have at least six to eight launchers. For a ship that size, you can easily manage twelve. Do the same for your AMM platforms, except that you can fit in more launchers and missiles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16015 on: March 01, 2015, 06:07:17 pm »

Also 43 AMMs in the magazine won't last you very long. My command ships have way more than that.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16016 on: March 01, 2015, 08:08:02 pm »

Agree with the above, and AWFULLY short range on the AMM, you're not gonna get many repeat shots at incomings.  With a 3-1 allocation your AMMs will kill something like 70% of your ASM as designed, which will be a lot of leakers if you don't get multiple shots or have PD gun ships.  So actually yeah if you do it this way maybe you do need the heavyish armor you have.  On the gripping hand, it's the scouts with the big sensors that will be the main targets, if you offset those a little your other ships probably won't come under much missile fire until the range closes considerably.  The scouts  better be set up to eat a ton though, unless you scam the AI with the switch on/off trick...

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16017 on: March 01, 2015, 08:14:33 pm »

They're not going to be effective unless you've got a few dozen or so of them. It's one of the big reasons why small missile ships need to be basically specialized launchers strapped onto a drive: you need large salvos to land decent numbers of hits, especially with low tech. Three ASM launchers per ship firing missiles with CTH that low are going to do basically nothing against enemy ships, and three AAM launchers in the same condition will do even less to enemy missile fire.

Split them into dedicated PD and offensive platforms. For a ship between 1k tons and 10k tons, you should have at least six to eight launchers. For a ship that size, you can easily manage twelve. Do the same for your AMM platforms, except that you can fit in more launchers and missiles.

Also 43 AMMs in the magazine won't last you very long. My command ships have way more than that.

Thanks! Taken care of, somewhat. PD-dedicated ships set up, and number of launchers increased.

Agree with the above, and AWFULLY short range on the AMM, you're not gonna get many repeat shots at incomings.  With a 3-1 allocation your AMMs will kill something like 70% of your ASM as designed, which will be a lot of leakers if you don't get multiple shots or have PD gun ships.  So actually yeah if you do it this way maybe you do need the heavyish armor you have.  On the gripping hand, it's the scouts with the big sensors that will be the main targets, if you offset those a little your other ships probably won't come under much missile fire until the range closes considerably.  The scouts  better be set up to eat a ton though, unless you scam the AI with the switch on/off trick...

shit.. Too late! it's happening

edit: battle summary: all my missiles missed. all their missiles hit. crushing defeat.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:39:18 pm by Rinnix »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16018 on: March 01, 2015, 09:03:57 pm »

Heh, oh well.  How many ships did you have?  How big were the incoming salvos and what were their missile speeds? 

Sagal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16019 on: March 02, 2015, 03:33:34 am »

Your ASM seem awfully slow and big for that drive level too. Or I'm thinking of the next drive level.

By the way, I hope you guys saw that there are going to be NPR carriers in the next patch :)
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1347