Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813999 times)

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13830 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:08 am »

I start my journey into Aurora.

I will post screenshots and stuff if interest is shown(It might help a bit if I do it anyway)

Here I go!
Welcome to the Excel 2002, Space Edition.
God I love this game.
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:25 am »

Hey, need some help.   

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where to design/create missiles.  I've checked the wiki, I tried searching this thread, it seems like people have no problems, but I can't find it.  I would have assumed its either

A: In the class designer, but my only options in the drop down are "ship" and "PDC". 
B: In the tech designer, but I can only design launchers and missile engines, no missiles themselves

Am I missing a tech?  But I already have the predesigned "Conventional ICBM" available.   I did a TN start, using Spacemaster tech assignment rather than the pre-done tech assignments.

There's a button in the lowermost bar of Production(F2) window. You will need a missile engine to make a missile, which can be found under Design in the same bar.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13832 on: August 22, 2013, 03:08:12 am »

Hey, need some help.   

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where to design/create missiles.  I've checked the wiki, I tried searching this thread, it seems like people have no problems, but I can't find it.  I would have assumed its either

A: In the class designer, but my only options in the drop down are "ship" and "PDC". 
B: In the tech designer, but I can only design launchers and missile engines, no missiles themselves

Am I missing a tech?  But I already have the predesigned "Conventional ICBM" available.   I did a TN start, using Spacemaster tech assignment rather than the pre-done tech assignments.

This is one of those non-obvious things that are a result of this being a game designed for Steve's use that he allows others to play. The missile design window is opened from the colony management screen as is the turret design screen. Make sure you have at least one missile engine designed and researched before using it though.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Maxsimal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:58 pm »

Thanks!   Yeah that was not obvious.  I wish this game had a battle simulator to test designs with.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: August 23, 2013, 01:14:34 am »

You can  use SpaceMaster mode to add ships to both sides of a battle, then control either or both sides...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: August 23, 2013, 09:08:30 am »

Is there a way of controlling NPR's while keeping the random technology? Do NPR's advance ingame? If both are true, sounds like it could be an excellent challenge, and/or perfect for someone who doesn't have a fucking clue about ship design.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: August 23, 2013, 09:10:45 am »

There is no way to control NPRs.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: August 23, 2013, 10:13:19 am »

But you can create another race with random tech and control both races.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: August 23, 2013, 10:22:35 am »

Check the events window while in SM mode, with the combat events filter. That sounds like sensor tracking cycles or something similar. Like missiles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: August 23, 2013, 03:13:50 pm »

So... there's a versus mode? Any good stories with PC NPR's?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »

So... there's a versus mode? Any good stories with PC NPR's?

In a sense... it's basically you running every side. If you go over to the Aurora forums, you can find a lot of AAR campaigns; most of those are multi-empire ones. They're cool, but they're also a massive pain to run, both because you're doing the normal amount of work times the number of empires you're running, and you can't spam 30-day turns as much.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Maxsimal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: August 24, 2013, 10:49:40 am »

Nother couple of questions.

1st question is - on missile design, what happened to the 'reactor lifetime' for buoys?  The wiki talks about geo survey buoys, which seem pretty cool, but I can't find out how to set their lifetime on the missile design screen.

2nd question is... does this work?

It seems like an 'unstoppable' missile strategy is to make some really fast ships, and then pack them with just a single launcher with a big magazine, an FC and engines.  The missiles they fire are 2 stage, with the first stage also going exactly the same speed as the launch ship, which is why they launch ships should be fast (short legged fighters being ideal)

Basically, you make a launching ru', firing off missiles that are all in separate salvos.   Now you have the full magazine flying in formation, and they can't be engaged as a group since they were all shot out singly. 

I haven't tried this out yet, but this seems like no point defense on a similar-tonnage fleet would be able to stop such a giant salvo.

Example design: Early tech (can be done with initial allocation easily)

Launches 60x ~100m km 4pt damage missiles in 1 hour (closing against a stationary target from 100m km to 85m km)

SToT Bomber class Fast Attack Craft    1 400 tons     36 Crew     198.7 BP      TCS 28  TH 112  EM 0
4000 km/s     Armour 1-11     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 2.25
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 280%    IFR 3.9%    1YR 87    5YR 1309    Max Repair 56 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 2   
Magazine 179   

112 EP Nuclear Pulse Engine (1)    Power 112    Fuel Use 298.18%    Signature 112    Exp 17%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 2.2 billion km   (6 days at full power)

Size 3 Missile Launcher (75% Reduction) (1)    Missile Size 3    Rate of Fire 60
Missile Fire Control FC94-R80 (1)     Range 94.4m km    Resolution 80

Missile design

Missile Size: 2.99 MSP  (0.1495 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 4000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 7.3 hours   Range: 105.8m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.489
Second Stage: Size 1.99 Anti-ship Missile x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 8 000 000 km
Overall Endurance: 8 hours   Overall Range: 115.2m km

Stage 2
Missile Size: 1.99 MSP  (0.0995 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 11
Speed: 12700 km/s    Engine Endurance: 12 minutes   Range: 9.2m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.339
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 139.7%   3k km/s 44%   5k km/s 27.9%   10k km/s 14%
Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   0.339x Gallicite   Fuel x75

Of course, you'd need a carrier and an active scanning ship.  PDC's with hangars are also a good idea. 

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: August 24, 2013, 11:51:38 am »

very interesting idea
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: August 24, 2013, 11:57:46 am »

1st question is - on missile design, what happened to the 'reactor lifetime' for buoys?  The wiki talks about geo survey buoys, which seem pretty cool, but I can't find out how to set their lifetime on the missile design screen.
Good news! You don't have to worry about lifetime; in the most recent version, buoys last forever (unless they have a warhead, in which case they'll detonate when they run out of fuel).

2nd question is... does this work?
Well that's an interesting idea. I'm not really sure how it would work in practice. Wouldn't it simply be easier to fill the gunboat to the brim with box launchers instead?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13844 on: August 24, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »

Assuming you have sufficient range to have time to fire off all the missiles, using a reloadable launcher + magazines will give you more missiles in total than the same space in box launchers.

It's an interesting way of performing a time-on-target strike with only one ship, with the limitation of course that the ship will be ineffective if it doesn't have room to pull off the firing run, eg coming out of a warpgate or getting ambushed.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1347